Regimen for Braids

Hey everybody!!

So I'm curious.... I have had plenty of braids but different results stem from the. Sometimes matting because too much product, brittleness from not enough product... Then sometimes I don't see any growth. Maybe I just need the right set regimen right?

Now I spray with African Pride Olive Miracle braid spray and I massage my scalp with Jamaican castor oil. Should I just oil my braids and not my scalp? I've had these a little over a month I also wash every two weeks and condition.

What have you done while you have had braids with or without extension and got great retention? I have to know lol

Thanks in advance

bride91501

I had braids over the summer (first time since my BC), but I used to wear braids and weaves exclusively years ago :)

Anywho, I sprayed my hair often (once or twice per day) with either a braid spray mix with castor oil added, or a mix of castor oil, water and AVG. I was sure to spray my roots AND the length of the braid to where my hair ended, to make sure I was moisturizing the entire strand.

I do not oil my scalp, and I normally only shampoo once per month, so this regimen worked great for me. I kept the braids in for 2 months, and I co-washed with a cleansing conditioner about 3-4 weeks in....at about 6 weeks, I washed with a sulfate free shampoo then did a quick regular condition immediately after. I didn't DC while in the braids, but in hindsight, I'd probably DC at around 4 weeks.

HTH!

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I keep my hair in crochet braids right now. I'm seeing the best retention my moisturizing and sealing the braids daily. I seal the braids with whatever oil is handy, just not coconut. I add cowashing once per week, and still doing a 15 min DC.

I take them down every three weeks and my hair is soooooooo moisturized and soft and tangle-free. I then keep it down for a week and do protein and moisture DC treatments before rebraiding. Retention has been excellent.

Admittedly, I'm having SSK issues and breakage in the crown, but I'm now starting to think I didnt BC enough back in July (color damage).

rayellejd14

Is it weird that I’m shocked that ya’ll wash braids? When I was a child, my mother braided my hair and left it alone for 2 months. I have my hair braided now, and I simply spray with Shea Moisture spray, it’s coconut oil and other stuff, and keeps my hair soft. I think I will try washing, or at least DCing them. I put in a black rinse so that I could have completely black braids, so I’m hesitant.

Do you cover your braids at night? I think without wearing my bonnet, I probably wouldn’t retain so much growth.

Is it weird that I’m shocked that ya’ll wash braids? When I was a child, my mother braided my hair and left it alone for 2 months. I have my hair braided now, and I simply spray with Shea Moisture spray, it’s coconut oil and other stuff, and keeps my hair soft. I think I will try washing, or at least DCing them. I put in a black rinse so that I could have completely black braids, so I’m hesitant.

Do you cover your braids at night? I think without wearing my bonnet, I probably wouldn’t retain so much growth.

Lol no it's not weird when I was younger I never washed my braids... This is new to me to! I cover my braids with my silk scarf

BillsBackerz67

I currently have waist length box braids. The only thing I do is lightly mist with infusion 23 and then rub oil from root to tip with my hands. Wear a scarf at night. Washing my braids does not work for me.I have very curly hair and washing them will make the hair curl out of the braids and be come a matted frizzy mess. That does more harm than good.

lamaria211

I'm in corn braids (just my own hair) I use a spray moisturizer that I made using water, Aussie Moist and Glycerine (x2 a day)then I seal. I put an elastic band on the ends when I wash and DC

camilla

I have a detailed video up on how i maintain braids under a weave vs a wig when in protective styles th only real difference is i spray more often when in an install 5x a week with moisture mix when under a weave i do not seal (makes weaves greasy) spray 2 to 3x a week when i take my wigs off at night and seal generously with an oil the scarf will absorb some of the oil