Relaxed Hair Loss

Rumbii

Hi Ladies
I was wondering if you could help me with the following problem.
Over the past 8 years I have tried growing my hair but without success, mainly because whenever I get a relax my hair starts falling off at the back. It falls off to the point where I have to shave my hair off cause the back is bald but my sides still have some length.
I found this board because of this problem with my hair, however 8 years later I still haven't had success. I have tried Hairfinity, ceramides, protein treatments, deep conditioning, telaxing, lye/no lye, Lineage, Phyto, braiding, weaving, Chlorella, Vitamin D, Silica, increasing Iron intake but I'm still coming up short. I have kept my hair natural before and didn't have these problems however even before it was relaxed it seemed like it was weak and fragile.
I know the easiest solution in terms of having long hair would be for me to go natural however personally I would view that as a defeat and would much rather try to find a solution.
I'v been to a dermatologist and trichologist but they couldn't find anything wrong. I just don't understand why my hair starts falling out as soon as I relax it.
Does anyone know what could be the cause of this? Please help I am really desperate and don't really want to have to give up.
The 1st two photos from the end 2012, the 3rd photo with the short blond hair is from last Tuesday and the collage is from 2007.
Thank you for your time and support.

Attachments

• IMG_7184.jpg
    IMG_7184.jpg
    519.7 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_7186.jpg
    IMG_7186.jpg
    511.8 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_2241.jpg
    IMG_2241.jpg
    502 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_0896.jpg
    IMG_0896.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 192

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
Rumbii

Please stop relaxing! Some people's hair and/or scalp can't handle it. You appear to be one of those people.

Do you relax at home or the salon? Do you do a mid protein step, before neutralizing?

For clarification, you're double processed? Color and chemically relaxed?

The medical professionals didn't diagnose you with chemical alopecia?

Also, what is your moisture / protein reggie?

Asking a lot of Q's, so we can help you.

Sent from my Speak & Spell using LHCF

sunnieb

Going natural is not giving up. You'll be giving your hair a chance to thrive.

Based on those pics you need to leave the relaxer alone for a long time. Sorry.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using LHCF

MrsTimberlake

If your hair falls out every time you relax, then you must stop relaxing. Going natural is not being defeated, it's actually winning in your case :yep:

Head on over to the transitioning thread and the ladies there can help you with your transition.

Rumbii

Thank You for your responses.
I relax at home with the help of a friend who makes sure that i don't relax previously relaxed hair. I use the Joico K-Pak before neutralising.
Yes I'm currently double processed but I was going to cut off the coloured ends as my hair grew longer.
I haven't heard of chemical alopecia. I have had scalp tests and hair strand tests which didn't show anything. I'm going back again on Thursday to see what the Trichologist says.
I use Joico k-pak once every week and moisturise with Matrix Biolage Fibreguard at least once a day.
I don't mind being natural, just don't want it to be the only option I have . I guess I just want to understand the science behind this situation, why this happens. Is something missing from my hair..

Jace032000

The chemicals found in relaxers are very harsh. Most people are appalled to learn that relaxers consist of chemicals often found in draino, industrial cleaning agents and even embalming fluid. I know ditching the relaxers is not what you want to hear...but you may have to. Some people have very fine strands and sensitive scalps...relaxers are not for everyone. I learned this the hard way--had to come off my hair three times because at that time--being natural was time consuming.

For what it's worth--here is some more information on Chemical Alopecia:
http://www.sistersofthefaith.com/beauty/the-irreversible-damage-of-chemical-relaxers/

Rumbii

I neutralise very well, give my hair several washes with a colour indicating neutralising shampoo.

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
Please leave the relaxers alone.
Everything is not for everyone and your hair is clearly telling you that it's not about that relaxer life.

If you've been going through this cycle for 8 years, think about how much hair you would have by now if not for trying to force your hair to accept something it doesn't want.

Adiatasha

Thank You for your responses. I relax at home with the help of a friend who makes sure that i don't relax previously relaxed hair. I use the Joico K-Pak before neutralising. Yes I'm currently double processed but I was going to cut off the coloured ends as my hair grew longer. I haven't heard of chemical alopecia. I have had scalp tests and hair strand tests which didn't show anything. I'm going back again on Thursday to see what the Trichologist says. I use Joico k-pak once every week and moisturise with Matrix Biolage Fibreguard at least once a day. I don't mind being natural, just don't want it to be the only option I have . I guess I just want to understand the science behind this situation, why this happens. Is something missing from my hair..

The common denominator in all of this is the relaxer.

You can have healthy, straight natural hair if you want.

How about this.... You've done this relaxer cycle for 8 long years. Why not give natural a one year trial? What could it hurt?

And maybe once you get to know your hair in its purist (maybe not the right word) you may find out the science behind it.

Have you done a komaza analysis yet?

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I knew someone with your same situation.

She wanted to relax but her hair and scalp could never handle it. She have up relaxing, but not because she wanted to and her hair looks fine. Sometimes you don't want to give it up, but you have to. It's costing you a lot and it's not fair to you.

Giving up relaxing is not defeat and may help you with piece of mind. Relaxing is not for everyone and for some people, even here on this board, relaxing has to be given up because the scalp and hair just can't handle it.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
My thoughts:

What kind of Relaxer are you currently using? (Brand/Strength)
How long are you waiting in between touch ups?
Are you relaxing from root to tip?
The Neutralizing process?
Double Processing? How long are you waiting between coloring & relaxing
Would you be willing to give up either Color or Relaxing?
Diet/Water/Stress Level?
Weekly Regimen?

LilMissRed

OP I have to agree with the ladies.. you must leave the relaxer asap. When I started noticing the thinning areas my derm told me about a scalp issue ... he said 'cut back' on the relaxers.. from that day until now.. I have not gone back to the relaxer... and back then (2008) I could never see myself w/'natural hair....

I say ditch the relaxer if you ever want to see any positive results. DEF visit the transitioning threads here.. This site if full of great advice/suggestions.. you've just got to be open to learning and trying new things

bydebra

Thank You for your responses.
I relax at home with the help of a friend who makes sure that i don't relax previously relaxed hair. I use the Joico K-Pak before neutralising.
Yes I'm currently double processed but I was going to cut off the coloured ends as my hair grew longer.
I haven't heard of chemical alopecia. I have had scalp tests and hair strand tests which didn't show anything. I'm going back again on Thursday to see what the Trichologist says.
I use Joico k-pak once every week and moisturise with Matrix Biolage Fibreguard at least once a day.
I don't mind being natural, just don't want it to be the only option I have . I guess I just want to understand the science behind this situation, why this happens. Is something missing from my hair..

If you want to understand the science behind relaxers, there is a lot of research out there. Have you read The Science of Black Hair?

My hair is relaxed, so I am certainly not anti-relaxer, but your hair is clearly telling you to try something different. How are you styling your hair and how often do you relax? It could be the combination of relaxers plus heat-styling, or you could be relaxing too often. Or, it could be the relaxers + color. My hair cannot take color with a relaxer. I had a friend relax my hair at home once and the damage was evident. I would only recommend getting a relaxer done by a professional or doing it yourself. In my experience, friends try to get your relaxer bone straight which is not good for your hair.

If I were you, I would at least stretch for 6 months to a year. You can do braid-outs, buns, Senegalese twists with extensions, etc. You can decide whether to chop after growing your healthy hair (natural, unprocessed) out a bit. Just don't damage your new growth with heat.

All of tests that you are doing aren't going to show what has happened, which is that the chemicals have caused your hair to literally disinigrate.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
My thoughts:

What kind of Relaxer are you currently using? (Brand/Strength)
How long are you waiting in between touch ups?
Are you relaxing from root to tip?
The Neutralizing process?
Double Processing? How long are you waiting between coloring & relaxing
Would you be willing to give up either Color or Relaxing?
Diet/Water/Stress Level?
Weekly Regimen?

Also I know you said you were/are taking Vitamin D - I also suggest incorporating a Multi or Hair Vitamin.

Develop a strong/consistent Regimen

Come join us in the Coffee/Tea Challenge and/or the Oils/Grease/Pomades Thread/Challenge.

faithVA

I agree with the other ladies. Even if you can find a solution to prevent your hair from falling out now, over time you may be destroying your scalp until it won't produce hair at all. Your body is telling you enough. You can try stretching your relaxers but if it happens again, I think you should listen to your body and let the chemicals go.

Rumbii

Hi.
I usually relax about 3 or 4 times a year. I have tried Dark and Lovely, ORS Lye and No Lye, Lineage and Phyto. In between touch ups I deep conditions at least once a week. My friend only does the new growth. It's usually processed really straight. I have noticed that when I'm getting my hair relaxed my scalp gets sensitive really quickly. It's only with Phyto that I haven't had my scalp start to tingle quickly.
This is the first time I have done colour but the hair loss has happened when I didn't have colour in my hair. In the past I have just shaved my hair off and started again.
I'm now concerned about long term damage to my scalp. As it is it's falling out at a very fast rate and I'm contemplating shaving it off and starting over. I will look into coffee and tea rinses as well.
My hair was natural for over a year in 2011 and 2012 before it got damaged by the relaxer in 2012. I like my natural hair I just never had success with straightening it and here in Australia there aren't really any professionals for black hair care. There are mainly braiders and weavers.
I also just started swimming and running a lot which means that I have to wash my hair more than once a week and it seems my hair can't handle that as well. I have tried maintaining my moisture and protein treatments but off. I thought having my hair chemically straightened would be easier for me cause of my swimming and running.
Chemically, do Keratin treatments have the same effects as relaxers?

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Hi. I usually relax about 3 or 4 times a year. I have tried Dark and Lovely, ORS Lye and No Lye, Lineage and Phyto. In between touch ups I deep conditions at least once a week. My friend only does the new growth. It's usually processed really straight. I have noticed that when I'm getting my hair relaxed my scalp gets sensitive really quickly. It's only with Phyto that I haven't had my scalp start to tingle quickly. This is the first time I have done colour but the hair loss has happened when I didn't have colour in my hair. In the past I have just shaved my hair off and started again. I'm now concerned about long term damage to my scalp. As it is it's falling out at a very fast rate and I'm contemplating shaving it off and starting over. I will look into coffee and tea rinses as well. My hair was natural for over a year in 2011 and 2012 before it got damaged by the relaxer in 2012. I like my natural hair I just never had success with straightening it and here in Australia there aren't really any professionals for black hair care. There are mainly braiders and weavers. I also just started swimming and running a lot which means that I have to wash my hair more than once a week and it seems my hair can't handle that as well. I have tried maintaining my moisture and protein treatments but off. I thought having my hair chemically straightened would be easier for me cause of my swimming and running. Chemically, do Keratin treatments have the same effects as relaxers?

While I still think you should leave relaxers alone, is your friend basing your scalp, applying relaxer directly to the scalp (it really shouldn't tingle unless relaxer is touching the scalp as I self relax and rarely have this problem) and using a proper neutralizing shampoo and techniques like leaving the shampoo in for 5-10 minutes at a time. For at least three times.

Are you using mild, normal or super?

After swimming, are you properly chelating, not clarifying? There is a difference and if these chemicals from the pool are still in the hair (chlorine or bromine) they can affect any chemical service as well as health of the hair.

Last, keratin treatments are a different chemical and process, but honestly, leave that head alone. Give it a rest please. At least a year. Chemically straightened hair might be more of a hassle that not.

You use a swimming cap right? Try using some Vaseline or Shea butter before swimming to prevent penetration of the chemicals in the pool.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I would also say - try to stretch relaxers as long as you can while doing a good solid regimen of Protein & Moisture.

Most definitely try Coffee/Tea Rinses that is something that is easy to incorporate and do.

Also, check the strength of the relaxer you are currently using and if you decide to stick with relaxing perhaps go for more Texlaxing cutting the processing time down.

Please wear a Swim Cap & coat your hair with something before swimming and try to properly chelate/clarify your hair afterwards due to chlorine and other stuff.

koolkittychick

The previous poster was right on the money. The combination of swimming and relaxing plus color is having a catastrophic effect on your hair. If you keep going with trying to use chemical treatments (that includes keratin as well, since most of those contain formaldehyde, otherwise known as embalming fluid) to make your hair more manageable, you may end up permanently destroying your hair follicles. Once that happens, this whole discussion becomes moot, as you will have no more hair to grow in the affected area. Just go natural and expire other ways to straighten your hair, if that's how you want to wear it. If you want long hair, however, I would suggest you learn to love and work with your own texture and nurture it as much as possible.

mshoneyfly

You have gotten some excellent advice. If you're swimming and working out, why not just get your hair braided or watch YT vids and do it yourself. Use this as a way to just leave your hair alone for a good long while. I just did a new set of DIY yarn braids for the second time last week and it was really easy. Crochet braids or corn rows under a wig could be an option too.

From the pics, it looks like the chlorine is not out. Do you rinse with water after each swim? Chelate regularly if you are swimming regularly? Not sure if Nexxus still makes Aloe Rid poo but this might instantly make a diff in how your hair looks and acts. How long have you been swimming working out regularly in the past 8 years? Chlorine is a strong chemical in addition to whats in the relaxer.

You said the phyto did not burn your scalp. Did your hair actually fall out with this? How many times did you use it after the first time? How often have you switched between lye and no-lye? Thus could be a problem too. Which one gives you the best results for scalp and hair health?

I am a 20+ year self relaxer but only been on my HHJ for less than 2 years.

ETA: I couldn't do anything to my hair without my 3-way mirror. Also, the back of your hair could be a much softer, looser texture than the crown area. It is so for me so I texturize that area last and rinse it out really quickly. Maybe this is why only the middle back are falls out. I also skip texturizing my edges and nape every other time.

I LOVE this HHJ!!

Last edited:

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
mshoneyfly

Aloe rid is discontinued. It's hard to find it these days. I know I still have some leftover, but it was the best clarifier-chelator I have ever used. Nexxus has another one, but not sure it is relevant either as it had a ton a dust on it when I saw it in the BSS.

Rumbii

Hi
Thank You all for your advice and support. I am sorry for taking long to reply its mainly cause of the time zone differences.

I have switched between lye and no lye a couple of times. My last relaxer was photo and my hair (the short blonde hair) fell out with this. I think maybe part of the problem maybe cause I process my hair till its really straight. Maybe I should try texlaxing again and see how my hair fares.

I started swimming and exercising regularly since August of last year. Prior to that my hair would still have the same issues of breakage at the back.
I do coat my hair, with hair condition before going to swim, however I still lose a lot of hair when I remove my swim cap. I rinse after I swim as well.

When my hair is natural, its coils are very tight and has a lot of shrinkage, I was never really able to straighten it without it being poofy and frizzy which is why I sort of gave up and went back to being relaxed. However when I was natural I tried following good Youtube videos and still failed, that was what forced me to relax my hair again.
Right I'm trying to decide on the next step which is either to cut to the new growth and stop the breakage (hopefully there is enough to braid) or shave it all off and start over and learn how to maintain my natural hair. The daily hair loss as shown by the hairs all over my bathroom is a bit devastating.