RELAXED HAIR SHRINKAGE SUPPORT

gabulldawg

I'm about two months post relaxer and am HATING the shrinkage that I am experiencing right now. :nono: People tend to underestimate relaxed hair shrinkage, especially for those who stretch their relaxers. My hair looks shorter and thinner than it usually does and I hate it!! :cry3: I am trying to hold out for at least one more month before a touch up so I'm trying to figure out what to do to combat it.

Any suggestions, fellow relaxed ladies who are suffering from shrinkage? I was thinking about wigging it until touch up time. I have been wearing a lot of updos and am considering a twist out as well.

I wear it up:yep: ....the worst part about the shrinkage is that when you eventually do relax you get your inch or 2 but you were expecting the look of 6:look:

This thread is impeccably timed for me! I was literally just stretching a piece of hair (I'm 12 weeks post) and thinking that even when I pull it straight it seems shorter than after my last relaxer. :ohwell: I keep telling myself it's like this every relaxer stretch but I'm feeling a little nervous.

Thanks Nix08! You're one to talk with all those lush waves in your siggy. :lol:

It's so true what you said about expecting so much more. Especially when it feels shorter than ever you're like, well there's gotta be a ton up there in hiding... please...?

I feel bald, lol. I haven't relaxed since like November or December. My shrinkage is killer. I have to wet and gel my edges every few days or they sticking up every where. I'm not transitioning, but I been thinking on it. 2011-04-02 09.23.12.jpg

2011-04-02 09.22.47.jpg

2011-04-02 09.22.30.jpgAll this shrinkage is making me think I must have some super breakage that I don't know about. Here is a look at my ng before coloring.

I feel where you're coming from OP!
I'm fast approaching 12weeks post and my shrinkage is H*LL! To keep my mind off it, I just throw on a wig everyday for work.

Also, I too have a habit of strecthing one strand of hair, expecting it to be all extra long...only to be let down :nono:
I'm due for a relaxer next week, but it's time like these that discourage me lol.

Great thread! I'm over 14 weeks post and my shrinkage is crazy! Here are some pics I took this morning:

First pic is right after I moisturized. Second pic is how I'm wearing it now.

I never comb dry newgrowth. Just moisturize, fluff with wide-toothed comb, and clip.

Sent from my Comet using LHCF

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120426_082440.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120426_082440.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 66
  • ForumRunner_20120426_082652.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120426_082652.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 60
  • ForumRunner_20120426_083006.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120426_083006.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 41
I'mabout 5 1/2 months post and yes I have the mother of all shrinkage. My hair is bsl but curls up to apl.

I use the same regimen ie

Prepoo with oil and megatek/ovation
Wash with matrix colour shampoo/ superdrug colour shampoo
Dc for 10 mins with aveda dr intensive/ matrix biolage/ matrix colour conditioner
Rinse with ACV
Apply kc knot today to new growth
Air dry or blow dry on cool
Flat iron roots

Wear straight styles for 3 to 4 days and Bantu knot outs close to wash day.

I get to see my length without damage. I'm trying to stretch for at least 6 months,bsl a couple weeks to go.

Braidouts, Bantu knot outs and srunching are my saving grace. Sometimes shrinkage gives the illusion that my hair is breaking deep into a stretch, so I keep it bunned up later in a stretch.

The shrinkage is a real pain in the arse and definitely causes anxiety sometimes but since I've discovered this Dominican product called Lady Fior Kita Ondas, (I actually use the whole line) that stuff is the bomb. They market it as a nonchemical curl remover that starightens like a relaxer but to me its just a d*mn good conditioner. It doesn't straighten like that but it sure as heck loosens that new growth curl pattern and makes everything :yay:!

I hear some women talk about Silicon Mix but I haven't tried this one.

Back