Shrinkage Playing Tricks On You?

supermodelsonya

Natural and Relaxed ladies....

I am relaxed and am stretching my relaxer to 16 weeks. I recently took down my tree braids and my hair was like to my ear. I haven't straightened it with heat since February and am starting to get discouraged.

I've been using Bee Mine and Megatek as growth aides since then but with the shrinkage, it's really hard to tell. I'm trying soooooo hard to make it to APL by this year and I don't know if I will.

My question to you is, how has your shrinkage fooled you? Were you EL but once you relaxed/stretched/straightened were you a different length?

Please help before I lose my mind and just shave it off?:rolleyes:

lilsparkle825

I am NL unstretched...but I am also 100% natural. Just stretch a piece with your fingers to see your true length...from the description I am guessing you are maybe NL stretched?

supermodelsonya

I am NL unstretched...but I am also 100% natural. Just stretch a piece with your fingers to see your true length...from the description I am guessing you are maybe NL stretched?

That's depressing lol:wallbash:

It's really hard to tell because my hair is really kinky and there are just some parts that I can't stretch out at all.

basketballbabe03

Don't let shrinkage fool you! I used to think my hair wasn't growing because of shrinkage. My shrinkage is ridiculous since I'm a 4b natural. When I wash my hair it will shrink into a twa but it I flat iron it or stretch it, my hair is almost shoulder length. Crazy huh?

dlewis

I have always had an issue with shrinkage. Straighten it and see the true length. That'll make you feel better.:yep:

supermodelsonya

Don't let shrinkage fool you! I used to think my hair wasn't growing because of shrinkage. My shrinkage is ridiculous since I'm a 4b natural. When I wash my hair it will shrink into a twa but it I flat iron it or stretch it, my hair is almost shoulder length. Crazy huh?

WOW really??????????????:drunk: THat's how my hair looked about two weeks ago when I took the tree braids down. The back was NL and the sides were up to my ear. I was kind of depressed...I mean I know I wasn't showing my true length but still...

lilsparkle825

That's depressing lol:wallbash:

It's really hard to tell because my hair is really kinky and there are just some parts that I can't stretch out at all.
stretch it after cowashing. that's what i have to do for my sister. She looks like she has a TWA but it stretches to APL, if that makes you feel any better. but she is also natural.

berryblack

My hair shrinks ridiculously. I don't think I straightened the first year and a half after my BC and when I finally did I was shocked! It had never occurred to me to stretch out my hair---I just thought it was really ear length. It is so unfortunate you have to straighten just to see your true length.

supermodelsonya

My hair shrinks ridiculously. I don't think I straightened the first year and a half after my BC and when I finally did I was shocked! It had never occurred to me to stretch out my hair---I just thought it was really ear length. It is so unfortunate you have to straighten just to see your true length.

Hey berryblack...how long was your hair when you did straighten?

supermodelsonya

^^That's awesome....I'm starting to feel better...now I'm anxious to straighten...just a little scared that I didn't make any progress.

I've been hiding my hair in phony ponies, buns, tree braids, etc.

LynnieB

Oh man it sure does.

I mean I can get an idea by stretching random sections of hair but I can only see the full length/width when I blowdry it :)afro:) or flatiron.

woowee. :lachen:

mscocoface

I know exactly how you feel. If you are going natural and you have super shrinkage or in my case bionic shrinkage :yep: it is one of the things that you are going to have to deal with particularly if you are a no heat person while being natural.

I just did some twists and they dried right up to my ear lobes only two in the back grazed my neck. Now it seems that the more it grows the more it shrinks I am not sure how that is even possible but I am now untwisting the twists and the twist out and it looked like I just turned into one of those blooming onions that you get at Outback Steakhouse:blush:

Don't be discouraged if it is healthy and you have no breakage it is a good thing. You will see the fruits of your labor when you blow dry/or press it. If you do determine you want to continue on the natural journey but do blow drys/pressing please become knowledgeable about those procedures so that you will still continue to have your natural kinks when you want them instead of heat damaged hair.

Warning: Severe shrinkage on natural 4BZ hair is not for the faint of heart! :lachen:

BrownEyez22

My question to you is, how has your shrinkage fooled you?

My hair has major shrinkage I learned early on to keep that in mind. My co-worker just came up to me yesturday and asked me if I cut my hair. I explained shrinkage to her. LOL...

Were you EL but once you relaxed/stretched/straightened were you a different length?
Yes, Here's is my shrinkage I think its ear length or shorter.

My length is in my siggy, shrinkage is frustrating at times. I wonder if hair will ever "hang."

Attachments

• haireveryday.JPG
    haireveryday.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

prospurr4

I have learned to love my shrinkage!

A great thing for me, being texlaxed and stretching up to 14 weeks, is that I end up with a ton of shrinkage. So, I look forward to my touchup; I see it as a little "surprise party" where I get to see how much length I really have.

I hope you'll be pleasantly surprised after you do your touchup.

Last edited:

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Shrinkage keeps me guessing but I like that. I'm texlaxed. I rarely use heat so I don't see my true length until touch up day. I stretched 4 months last time. I looked chin length with shrinkage. When I did the touch up I was full neck length. I'm stretching 6 months this time around and I'm still chin length with shrinkage but I got a forest going on up under there. I'm hoping to be full SL or between SL and APL when I do my touch up on July 1st.

MagnoliaBelle

I am natural and I haven't flat-ironed since January. I really can't tell whether I am making progress. But I tell my that I'm giving it a year. I'll flat iron in December and see what happens. I get discouraged too. Try to give yourself a certain date and try not to put too much pressure on yourself by trying to see if you've got growth before that date. Hair takes years to grow to significant lengths. So give yourself stretches of 6 months or 1 year before you worry about checking. Flat-iron if you can't wait. I know that I can't tell if I'm making progress with my shrinkage. Hope you feel better!

supermodelsonya

My question to you is, how has your shrinkage fooled you?

My hair has major shrinkage I learned early on to keep that in mind. My co-worker just came up to me yesturday and asked me if I cut my hair. I explained shrinkage to her. LOL...

Were you EL but once you relaxed/stretched/straightened were you a different length?
Yes, Here's is my shrinkage I think its ear length or shorter.

My length is in my siggy, shrinkage is frustrating at times. I wonder if hair will ever "hang."

Well I guess it hasn't "fooled" me yet because I've yet to straighten. WHen I was wearing sew-ins and take them down, my hair looks short but after a relaxer, I'm like whoa.....

I did experience a setback in January so I guess I'm extra paranoid. I lost an inch and a half.:ohwell:

Mook's hair

Oh Yes...Wanna see the ultimate shrinkage documentation.
Go to this thread. You'll love it!
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=345513

Here's a teaser

SouthernBeauty

I needed this thread b/c I was getting discouraged too! It really helped alot! I am going to take Magnoliabelle advice and try not to worry about it until the end of the year.

lonelysky

Baby Chick Gate 2011
I always have shrinkage between relaxers (I relax every 4mos). Stretching the hair dosen't often help b/c it is so kinky/coily.

As long as your ends are in good health and you are seeing NG, your hair will do well. Something else that could be happening is that your hair may be gaining thickness before it shows length.

My hair went through/is still kind of in that phase.

So don't be discouraged at the possiblity that your hair may not 'show length' right away.

My hair was layered and in a u/v-ish shape. I could feel the length was at a certain point, yet it was behaving like it was several inches shorter.

I'm actually glad that it went through this phase b/c it allowed my hair to regain its thicness. I realize now that I would NOT want to be at the lenght that I am now (or really even longer) at the thicness that my hair was. :nono:

mariofmagdal

Shrinkage is a trip. I agree with a previous poster in that it's a shame we have to straighten in order to see the true length....oh well, I guess I won't see it.

supermodelsonya

Oh Yes...Wanna see the ultimate shrinkage documentation.
Go to this thread. You'll love it!
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=345513

Here's a teaser

Thanks girlie! I needed to see that thread. My eyes were starting to pop out the sockets! I forgot just how much shrinkage can fool you.

I plan on relaxing June 1st so I will update this thread in a few weeks. I'll take pictures before and after so I can see how much I've grown.

Thanks ladies!:spinning:

afiya27

stretch it after cowashing. that's what i have to do for my sister. She looks like she has a TWA but it stretches to APL, if that makes you feel any better. but she is also natural.

Wow! To me that is GREAT news! Shrinkage can be your friend depending on your choice of hairstyle. I have a very small TWA right now. But I'm making plans to be APL in about 4-5 years (goal: 3 in of healthy growth per year minimum). I don't remember how much shrinkage I get, but I hope its enough so that I can wear my twist outs and the hair doesn't touch my shoulders...That way, I figure I can wear and keep my ends well moisturized with this hairstyle (ie they won't dry up on my shirt), YET when I get it straightened (2xs per year), it'll be really long! The best of BOTH worlds! :drunk:

Peace.

Aggie

I am currently 16 and a half weeks into my stretch and my hair ends actually looks anorexic right now:lachen: and my last relaxer was a texlaxer. This means that I am having major shrinkage right now myself. My relaxed ends look pathetic too and my new growth area is thick and fabulous to me. I love it like that for now.

But don't get discouraged OP, just love your hair no matter what, eat well, drink lots of water and it will grow in well. It may already be a good length so have you done a length check yet? Perhaps straighten it a little and check just a section of it.