Relaxed heads - Do you use Sulfate free shampoos?

Honi

There is no board.
I have switched to sulfate free cleansing for over a year for me and my daughter. My hair is not as dry and DD natural hair does not shrink and tangle around itself as much. My newgrowth is softer and not as dry. Hardly any tangles too. I use shampoo bars or dr bronners when in a pinch. Will never go back to poo.

locabouthair

I try to. I still suffer from dry hair but I know with the sulfates it would be worst. I only use sulfates when I clarify.

*Muffin*

I use sulfate-free shampoos, and I've noticed a difference in the overall feel and movement of my hair. My hair feels smoother and less stripped. Giovanni Golden Wheat Shampoo and Aubrey organics shampoos cleanse just as well as sulfate shampoos, but my hair feels smoother when I condition. The only time I use sulfate shampoos is when I relax, and my hair feels dryer than normal for a while.

Mo96

Yes, I shampoo with CON (green label). I got lucky and came across a large bottle. I sure wish I could make it last forever! :)

missbritt1986

Yes, and I'm so glad I did. I immediately noticed a difference after the first shampoo. My hair didn't feel stripped & wasn't matted to my head :nono:. De-tangling was SO much easier too. I always try to get the best deals I can on products, so I purchase Kissmyface whenever shampoo at drugstore.com. I almost bought some Aubrey Organics the other day at Sally's, but I wasn't too keen on the lathering ingredient. I like the Kissmyface because the lathering ingredient "Olefin Sulfonate" is derived from coconut oil, & the ingredients are all natural :lick:.

hair4romheaven

I use Jason Biotin Shampoo and conditioner. Its all natural I buy it from GNC. I used this before i found out about sulfates etc.
I am quite sure I've used pooo with sulfates before and have not had a problem.

MizzCoco

I want to switch to a non sulfate poo, but I still have this Liter of Joico reconstructing, and I cant see myself washing the dog with a 15 dollar shampoo! As soon as its gone, which seems like never, I plan on picking some up to use consistantly. I do alternate with Giovanni smooth as silk and CON, but i never feel totally clean with them

pookaloo83

I do, I use Giovanni Smooth As Silk Moisturizing Poo, and Giovanni Poo with peppermeint oil in it. This I use as a clarifying shampoo. I also use the Giovanni conditioner too. I'm trying to use it up because I don't like it.

MissLawyerLady

Yes. ABBA Pure Moisture shampoo. It works well for me, but I've also used the Hair One cleansing conditioner and its great!

taz007

Thanks everyone for the replies. I have quite a few Joico shampoos that I will use for clarifying. I will try out some SLS-free shampoos based on your recommendations.

Last edited:

goodmorningruby

right now I just have sulfate poos. I would like to swith, but I need to finish these first.
would it be bad to use them as shower gel to get rid of them? lol

I tried the shescentit hemp poo and i liked it. I might buy the full size soon

I've heard of some of the ladies here even using sulfate shampoo to wash their laundry after they switched to non-sulfate cleansing.

Bachelorette

I do, I use Giovanni Smooth As Silk Moisturizing Poo, and Giovanni Poo with peppermeint oil in it. This I use as a clarifying shampoo. I also use the Giovanni conditioner too. I'm trying to use it up because I don't like it.

you dont like which? the poo or conditioner?

Kimiche

Taz, I use quite a few and the ones I like are Avalon Organics Biotin B-Complex Thickening Shampoo - my fave right now because it is not drying at all and smells delish-ous:lick:.

I also like Jason Natural Jojoba Shampoo
Jason Natural Biotin Shampoo
J/A/S/O/N Thin to Thick Extra Volume Shampoo
J/A/S/O/N Jojoba and Lemongrass Color Treated Shampoo
Beauty Without Cruelty Rosemary Mint Tea Tree Shampoo
Creme Of Nature Ultra-Moisturizing & Detangling Shampoo - green label
Creme Of Nature Moisturizing and Detangling Shampoo - red label
Mills Creek Keratin Shampoo
Giovanni Smooth As Silk Shampoo
Elucence Moisture Benefits Shampoo
Aubrey Organics GPB Shampoo
Aubrey Organics Green Tea Clarifying Shampoo among others

I must admit that some of them like my J/A/S/O/N Thin to Thick Extra Volume Shampoo leaves a bit of stripping feeling to my hair but as soon as the conditioner touches it, soft, silky hair immediately follows.

I have to admit that my hair once dried does not have that dull dried out feeling like it used to when I use sulfate poos. My hair behaves a lot better than it used to when I only used sulfate poos.

I am trying to make all my poos sulfate-free with the exception of my neutralizing poo after a relaxer. I am still working on driving the rest of them slowly out of my regimen.

Awwww I love :love2: my Elucence poo. :yep: I love the Moisture Balance conditioner as well.

camilla

Ever since i joined and learned about sulfates my Dry scalp and hair are GONE the elasta qp makes my hair feel like i cowashed it is VERY soft and the comb glides right through even after 10 weeks or more post This is a staple but after i finish the others i will try the sizta 2 sizta or shescentit lines

The only time i use sulfates are one two two times a month AFTER a oil or conditioner pre poo to remove cones OR when i neutralize

Elasta qp creme conditioning IMO(very good better that cream on nature)
Giovanni smooth as silk
Trader joes
Mills Creek aloe

ajoyfuljoy

I use Giovanni on my scalp (sls irritates my scalp) but I use CON with or without sulfates on the length of my hair (I scrunch it in). I'm more concerned about shampoo for the length of my hair leaving it feeling soft. I didn't like the way my hair felt when I used natural shampoos on my hair. Maybe I never found the right one but CON works just fine for me.

daydreem2876

carpe diem
funny this thread pops up... last week i picked up giovanni triple treat poo and condish for my dry flaky scalp and have been quite pleased with it. in addition to making my scalp better, my hair looks truly clean (meaning it did not look dull and lifeless and i could see and appreciate its natural color when my hair was dry and styled). i am looking forward to a sulfate free future

mzsophisticated26

Yep, CoN green label for over a year and my hair is so much better and does not dry out. The only time I may have a sulfate ppo is if I go to the hair salon because I think she used Mizani and Joico

BSweet

I tried Giovanni smooth as silk...my almost 16 week post new growth was soooo soft and very easy to manage...i'm never going back..so no more sulfates for me..

Sugar

No, I don't. I've tried a couple brands and didn't see any difference in my hair (good or bad) so I don't make it a habit of purchasing or using sulfate-free shampoos.

JudithO

Bumping this thread for more input.... If I go longer than 1 week between washings ... I start to get flakes in my hair.... I'm wondering if I should try a sulfate free poo.... I currently use Aphogee damage poo and Kenra clarifying...