RELAXED LADIES -- desperate for your help

I have made the decision that I am going to relax my hair and need y'all ladies advice so I can do it right and start off a great healthy relaxed hair journey!

A little about my hair: I have been natural for about 4 1/2 years. My hair is (grazing) APL in the back with long layers. Hair is mostly 3c, FINE, and super thick. [ pics of my hair on Instagram (LovelyHoneyB) and attached pic is of my hair this past Christmas] I colored my hair jet black (L'oreal ammonia free box) about two months ago. Here's the regime I'm thinking (and please give me product suggestions/advice!!!! I am looking for more natural products but < $15; these are products that my natural hair responded to very well and I think will work with relaxed hair as well)

Relaxer: I plan to get done at the salon by a trusted stylist but am not sure which relaxer I want to use. When I was relaxed by my mom before I know she used a lye relaxer but from reading posts here I have narrowed it down to three
1. Phyto Index I
2. Affirm Fiberguard Reg
3. Mizani Butter Blends Reg

shampoo:
Shea Moisture Moisturizing Shampoo
Trader Joe's TTT to clarify

conditioner:
Giovanni 50/50
Tresemme Naturals Moisture
Herbal Essence LTR (thinking of cutting out)

protein treatment:
AO GBP or Nexxus Emergencee (leaning more towards AO GBP)

deep conditioner: ??

leave-in: LCO method
AVJ or Aveda Brillant Damage Control
creamy ?? KCKT
EVCO or Jojoba Oil

routine: x1 week
pre-poo w/ EVCO, castor and amla oil mix
shampoo
protein treatment
deep condition
leave-in
Roller Set [I have curlformers and magnetic rollers already but rarely used before because my sets were never smooth enough on my natural hair. hoping this will help me put down the blow-dryer and flat iron (which should let me have healthier hair) and retain more length while keeping split ends away] or Bantu Knot / Braid Out

:yep: I am really excited to be trying something new and different with my hair (this'll be my first time having relaxed hair and taking care of it myself since I've been natural since I was a senior in high school) and plan on relaxing soon. I am planning on going to the salon soon (but I would just take my own relaxer if she does not have the one I decide on) and starting my new healthy hair journey off with a fresh relaxer, deep treat, and trim. I just want to have all my products, routine, etc. together before jumping ship.

Sorry for the super long post! Ladies chime in!

Last edited:
I especially want to hear from any other recently relaxed from virgin natural hair to know what I should expect. I know I'll miss my curls but I'm hoping I'll be able to fall in love w my relaxed hair too.

pics! my hair this past Christmas (twist-out and flat ironed)

Attachments

• image-1159732403.jpg
    image-1159732403.jpg
    483.5 KB · Views: 122
  • image-3085166068.jpg
    image-3085166068.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 115
I texlaxed after 3 years natural. I love my texlaxed hair now its a lot more manageable and I have way more styling options. I would have a consultation appt before I let a stylist put a chemical in my hair and make sure your both on the same page so your not surprised or confused about the process or the end results. Good luck post some before and after pics for us!

I texlaxed on Friday (1.25.13) after being natural for 3 yrs & 5 months.

I went to a salon and she used design essentials.

I've been reading the relaxer threads for the past 3 weeks to build my trial regimen.

GL!!!

Your stylist did a great job!
Your hair looks very healthy and full of body.

Which relaxer did you end up going with?

my stylist did it. and she used Affirm Mild.

but even though it doesn't burn easy and can be left on up to 15-20 minutes. we ended up having to relax the back then relax the front

That's the one I use. The only thing I would have done differently is a consultation and strand test,I can't emphasize its importance enough and yet so few of us do it.
It looks very nice and your regimen seems good,you can see how it goes and tweak it later. Btw your hair looks nice before AND after.

Back