Relaxer every 8 weeks =overprocessed ?

foxybronx

Is it possible to get a relaxer every 8 weeks and not end up with overprocessed hair?
For quite some time now I have noticed a lot of breakage in my crown and sides and nape. I assumed it was from improper trimming because my stylist never lifted my hair and trimmed in sections, she just combed it down and trimmed from the perimeter. What ended up happening is that the back of my hair got trimmed so it was super healthy and damage free but the crown of my hair was never trimmed so the result was damage.
The problem is I now trim each section myself and I still have the breakage. I am wondering is it because I stretch my relaxer to 3 months…SO I now want to start relaxing every 8 weeks. But because EVERY stylist I have seen overlaps to a large degree will I end up with bonestraight and over processed hair???

Tracy

I didn't have that problem when I was relaxing every 8 weeks. Sometimes I went 10, but it was always somewhere in there. If you have at least an inch of NG at 8 weeks, then it should be fine.

Leslie_C

ITA w/ Tracy. I was getting breakage from waiting too long bc the areas where I have breakage have little fly aways that are an inch or so long which tells me it was at the demarcation line. I was going 10 weeks or so and it was too long for me, causing more harm than good.

If that is a major concern for you, try to put a layer on the hair past the new growth of conditioner or profectiv breakfree is good, so that it prevents the relaxer from getting on that part.

foxybronx

Thanks Tracy and Leslie. I am going to try to touch up at 8 weeks next touch up..
Leslie, has the breakage gotten better?

northernbelle

Not everyone is able to stretch out a relaxer. It depends on the texture of one's natural hair. I really do need to touch up every eight weeks. Otherwise, my hair begins to snap.

Bottom line: Know your hair and what it is able to withstand.

northernbelle

Leslie_C

Foxy,
as soon as I had it relaxed the breakage all but stopped in its tracks. I was getting all kinds of hair in my W I D E tooth comb when Id try to comb it. Even by just handling it when I would run my hands through it Id get several hairs each time. if I would pull it from the bottom----more hairs. I was freaking out.

Now that its all smoothed out and it was flat ironed, Ive been wrapping it for the week(since Friday) and I get maybe 2 hairs in the comb from wrapping/unwrapping. Im much happier!
On friday or saturday Ill do my first wash and deep condition, then the next week Ill do a protein treatment.

I will be an 8 week relaxer from now on. I had plenty of new growth so waiting was going more harm than good.

asummertyme

girl, let me tell u , i cant stretch my relaxers past 8 weeks either, my hair will break off b/c, i have fine hair, and it cannot take the stress of the 2 textures, right now i cannot comb thru my hair b/c of the new growth and it has only been about 4 weeks from my last relaxer...so im gonna try to hold out until the end of this month..looks like im getting a summer growth spurt...wich is always nice...

MissB

Same here...If I go beyond 8-9 weeks, my hair starts to shed or snap. Once I get the touchup, the problems go away.