Relaxer help...please

Msmia

I have been relaxing my hair for the last 5 years with Silk Elements Regular Lye Relaxer, but now it feels like it is not even smoothing out my new growth. I usually wait 12 weeks or even longer before doing my touch ups. Should move up to Coarse Hair relaxer or switch to a different brand. I know my hair has a tendency to get used to products and they shortly become ineffective for me.

sqzbly1908

I have been relaxing my hair for the last 5 years with Silk Elements Regular Lye Relaxer, but now it feels like it is not even smoothing out my new growth. I usually wait 12 weeks or even longer before doing my touch ups. Should move up to Coarse Hair relaxer or switch to a different brand. I know my hair has a tendency to get used to products and they shortly become ineffective for me.

Hi MsMia!!!

Silk Elements is a good relaxer - it sounds like you are making good progress in the course of this progress your hair is getting thicker. If you are wanting a more bone straight look - maybe you should opt for the coarse relaxer if the regular is not doing the job for you...

Msmia

Thanks. I think I am going to switch to the Coarse version, but I do love Silk Elements relaxer. It is the best relaxer I have ever used.

blasianbeauty

How do you smooth your new growth? For the bone straight look, I always use the back of a fine tooth comb after I apply the relaxer all over first. I would try that first before moving up to the course or super strength.

Msmia

How do you smooth your new growth? For the bone straight look, I always use the back of a fine tooth comb after I apply the relaxer all over first. I would try that first before moving up to the course or super strength.

I apply my relaxer with my fingers and then smooth with a fine tooth comb. As of recently I have been letting the relaxer sit a tad bit longer than recommended to get it more bone straight, but yet still my roots are still wavy and not bone straight, and still feel extremely thick.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
No matter how hard I tried, my hair would not get bone strait with lye. I could leave it on an hour, comb it through from root to tip, and smooth with my fingers and it would still be wavy.:lachen: That is a protection for your hair, believe it or not. Bone strait hair is more likely to break, shed, and become damaged hair. You can easily get the hair strait with a roller set or flat iron.I love lye for texlaxing! Now I know I can rock the styles I couldn't before. Check out some you tube videos. Sylver2 has some awesome videos that could help.:yep:

blasianbeauty

I apply my relaxer with my fingers and then smooth with a fine tooth comb. As of recently I have been letting the relaxer sit a tad bit longer than recommended to get it more bone straight, but yet still my roots are still wavy and not bone straight, and still feel extremely thick.
Yep, same thing that I do as well but I definitely use the back of the comb and not the teeth. But I've never tried a no-lye relaxer before so maybe others that use this type regularly can chime in. :yep: