Relaxer Touchup Question

princessdi

I will be touching up my daughter's hair using Mizani’s Butter blend next month and had a question regarding a problem that I see with the current status of her hair.

I have been self-relaxing my daughter's hair for a little over a year and it has turned out great and is thriving; however, I have a concern about some parts of her hair. After a fresh relaxer, she has a section of hair towards the ends (but not at the ends) that looks like the relaxer never touched it. This area is very hard to moisturize and feels brittle compared to the rest of her hair. Do you know what is causing this? My first thought is to apply relaxer to that area during the relaxer process for only a few minutes (maybe in the end when I’m applying the relaxer to the nape and the sides). What do you think? Please note, that I do not apply the relaxer through the already relaxed hair as I know this is a huge “No, No”; however, I see no other way to correct this problem, except to do this. Please offer suggestions. My plan is to take these steps: (1) condition her hair with Emergencee a week before the relaxer; (2) the day of the relaxer (a) apply Chi Silk Infusion to the ends of her hair and already previously relaxed hair (except for the problem area) or some type of conditioner to prevent over relaxing of the already relaxed hair and base scalp; (3) apply relaxer starting from the middle of head working toward the front and back; apply relaxer to the problem area, nape, and sides last; (4) rinse out relaxer and apply aphogee 2-minute reconstructor (leave on 5 minutes); (5) neutralize (5 minutes); rinse and neutralize again; (6) apply kerafix to hair (20 minutes)—should I skip this step because I did the aphogee 2-minute reconstructor?; (7) apply Keracare Humecto (leave in for 45 minutes); (8) apply Keracare Leave In and seal with coconut oil.

Any suggestions or recommendations. Because I know the problem area is delicate, I want to make sure I care for that area as much as possible so her hair doesn’t start to break off or become damaged.

Please offer suggestions.

Thank you.

FluffyRed

I am kind of new, but my hair just went through this yesterday after I tried to deep condition.

My hair has been snapping off about one inch from the ends, and a moisture DC did not help.

According to sistaslick's info on Associated Content, hair cannot hold moisture when it needs protein. So, maybe do a protein treatment (is Emergencee protein?) the day before you relax and then Deep condition after?

THIS IS JUST A POSSIBILITY.

More senior folks will probably come on and give more comprehensive info and may directly contradict this. So please don't act based solely on my recommendation. Still trying to get my reggie straight.

princessdi

I am kind of new, but my hair just went through this yesterday after I tried to deep condition.

My hair has been snapping off about one inch from the ends, and a moisture DC did not help.

According to sistaslick's info on Associated Content, hair cannot hold moisture when it needs protein. So, maybe do a protein treatment (is Emergencee protein?) the day before you relax and then Deep condition after?

THIS IS JUST A POSSIBILITY.

More senior folks will probably come on and give more comprehensive info and may directly contradict this. So please don't act based solely on my recommendation. Still trying to get my reggie straight.

Thanks Choppy Bob, and yes, Emergencee is a protein treatment.