Relaxers Caused Me To Lose My Edges

princess_z

It was the middle of 2014, I had grown my hair out to SL from a pixie cut the year before, and I realized something wasn't right with my hairline.

Six months later and it was obvious I was losing my edges but I couldn't figure out why so I decided to buckle down.

I stopped using any direct heat on my hair, stopped brushing my hair, eliminated most combing and finger detangled instead, used a silk pillowcase instead of a scarf in case it was agitating my hairline, began applying oil mixes to my hair twice a day, did scalp massages, used Nioxin, etc. I did everything I could think of to try and regain my edges.

After trying all of the above for a good year and not getting any results, I decided to begin to stretch my relaxers and began taking photos of my edges to truly document what was going on because I thought maybe my hair is being over processed. Now I've been relaxed since I was about seven or eight years old. I was relaxed before I even knew what a relaxer was or what was being done to my hair.

I began to notice an improvement after I started stretching to three months between relaxers, but I noticed whenever I would get a relaxer my edges would be back to where they were to begin with or worse.

I had to admit to myself that the relaxers were taking my edges. It was not easy. I've always been relaxed. Always. And I didn't even remember or know what my natural hair would be like.

I've always been team never going natural, but yesterday I BC. I have to admit it was terrifying and going from almost APL to a TWA is extreme, but I couldn't deal with transitioning and I couldn't continue to lose my edges.

My last relaxer (hopefully ever) was 6/18. My edges have already started filling in. And the TWA...I love it. It's much shorter than I would ever cut my hair again, but I feel free now and confident and don't have to worry about hiding my edges.

So that's my story. I wanted to share with y'all because when I first began investigating what could be causing my edges to disappear no one mentioned it could be the relaxer and it took me forever to figure out that is what it was.

Now my HHJ can really begin.

It was the middle of 2014, I had grown my hair out to SL from a pixie cut the year before, and I realized something wasn't right with my hairline.

Six months later and it was obvious I was losing my edges but I couldn't figure out why so I decided to buckle down.

I stopped using any direct heat on my hair, stopped brushing my hair, eliminated most combing and finger detangled instead, used a silk pillowcase instead of a scarf in case it was agitating my hairline, began applying oil mixes to my hair twice a day, did scalp massages, used Nioxin, etc. I did everything I could think of to try and regain my edges.

After trying all of the above for a good year and not getting any results, I decided to begin to stretch my relaxers and began taking photos of my edges to truly document what was going on because I thought maybe my hair is being over processed. Now I've been relaxed since I was about seven or eight years old. I was relaxed before I even knew what a relaxer was or what was being done to my hair.

I began to notice an improvement after I started stretching to three months between relaxers, but I noticed whenever I would get a relaxer my edges would be back to where they were to begin with or worse.

I had to admit to myself that the relaxers were taking my edges. It was not easy. I've always been relaxed. Always. And I didn't even remember or know what my natural hair would be like.

I've always been team never going natural, but yesterday I BC. I have to admit it was terrifying and going from almost APL to a TWA is extreme, but I couldn't deal with transitioning and I couldn't continue to lose my edges.

My last relaxer (hopefully ever) was 6/18. My edges have already started filling in. And the TWA...I love it. It's much shorter than I would ever cut my hair again, but I feel free now and confident and don't have to worry about hiding my edges.

So that's my story. I wanted to share with y'all because when I first began investigating what could be causing my edges to disappear no one mentioned it could be the relaxer and it took me forever to figure out that is what it was.

Now my HHJ can really begin.

It is awesome you were able to pinpoint the problem and start your healthy hair journey. Relaxers can be very damaging. I did not get my first relaxer until much later and I did it just because. Now, I cannot wait to grow out all of my relaxer.

You could have/should have totally skipped relaxing your edges, although you would have still had run-off from the relaxer upon rinsing and just babied your edges.

However, welcome to the Natural side. It's a whole new Hair Journey and a lot to learn. Make the Search Feature your Friend and immerse yourself in Natural Threads.

I am 24 month post relaxer and it's a whole new life style.

Happy Hair Growing.

You could have/should have totally skipped relaxing your edges, although you would have still had run-off from the relaxer upon rinsing and just babied your edges.

However, welcome to the Natural side. It's a whole new Hair Journey and a lot to learn. Make the Search Feature your Friend and immerse yourself in Natural Threads.

Happy Hair Growing.

I considered doing that or stretching my relaxers even longer, but I was afraid that eventually the problem would come back. Say if I stopped relaxing my edges until they completely grew back in, but then I eventually relaxed them and lost them again.

I still do not know why the relaxers caused me to lose my edges because I've always been relaxed and I didn't change relaxers or my stylist. It was just like one day they began to slowly recede.

It could simply be after roughly twenty years of relaxing my hair just can't take it anymore. I do have fine hair to begin with.

You could have/should have totally skipped relaxing your edges[/B], although you would have still had run-off from the relaxer upon rinsing and just babied your edges.

Happy Hair Growing.

I agree. Also, you could have done them last and not allow the relaxer to fully process them. When I was relaxed, I relaxed my edges every other relaxer and I always did them last, leaving some texture. Relaxing them bone straight weakens them more than they already are.

*This post is more for those who still relax and are looking at ways to get their edges back on track. I see that you have already big chopped.

Good luck with your new journey!

I agree. Also, you could have done them last and not allow the relaxer to fully process them. When I was relaxed, I relaxed my edges every other relaxer and I always did them last, leaving some texture. Relaxing them bone straight weakens them more than they already are.

@AgeinATL
Yup. This too. Apply it last and only the NG w/o smoothing.

I've seen some folks (stylist) and DIY'ers smooth edges right before rinsing to h3lL and back.:lol:

Congrats on throwing out the relaxer. Have u seen a derm about the hair loss?
See things like this are why I will not relax anymore. I threw out my relaxer in June or July and my last relaxer (forever) was in late April. There is too much risk involved in using caustic chemicals on the head and hair.
For me the issue is breakage but there's always a chance for hair loss from the roots too.

Back