Were relaxers taking out my edges?

TokyoReina

I'm transitioning and 18 weeks post. I noticed that any time I got a relaxer I would feel like I lost some edges but I always chalked it up to the straightness of the relaxer. However, since I've stopped I've notice my edges curling a bit. My new stylist at a Dominican Salon recommend I try some hair drops that support hair growth and loss. She said for my edges. (UNA Oxygenating Treatment...I'll give anything a shot once.) I was slightly offended because I've never had no edges, but I did think they were thin after relaxers.

To those that have transitioned, did you notice a change? I'm thinking they may just be thicker now than well...new. :ohwell:

I'm transitioning and 18 weeks post. I noticed that any time I got a relaxer I would feel like I lost some edges but I always chalked it up to the straightness of the relaxer. However, since I've stopped I've notice my edges curling a bit. My new stylist at a Dominican Salon recommend I try some hair drops that support hair growth and loss. She said for my edges. (UNA Oxygenating Treatment...I'll give anything a shot once.) I was slightly offended because I've never had no edges, but I did think they were thin after relaxers.

To those that have transitioned, did you notice a change? I'm thinking they may just be thicker now than well...new. :ohwell:

Yes I did. I was transitioning and made it to 5 months post before I got a weak moment. I definitely notice the difference in my edges. My weak side was just starting to fill-in. I am giving it another shot because I miss my new growth.

I KNOW relaxers weakened and thinned my edges. I was told by my dermatologist 20 years ago to stop relaxing my hair........:look:

Interesting. I'm natural and my edges thinned from constant braids. So now I'm using emu oil to help thicken the edges. I guess any type of tension (or over processing in the case of a relaxer) can do that. My mom is relaxed and puts the relaxer on her edges last and never had a problem (she's also always btw mbl ad bsl depending on if she cuts it or not, as she hates it when her hair gets too long).

I hear that relaxing the edges last can prevent thinning edges. I had a problem with my nape and castor oil thickened it up. Any kind of tension or chemical can weaken your edges.

I know that it is very possible because when I was small, I had a friend who had no edges due to a relaxer and her mother stopped relaxing her edges and they grew back.

Yep!

I hear that relaxing the edges last can prevent thinning edges. I had a problem with my nape and castor oil thickened it up. Any kind of tension or chemical can weaken your edges.

Both of you all are correct.
@DD, for years after I was warned of thinning I weaned myself off relaxers, first by as indicated leaving the edges till last. (I saw a little regrowth (LESS DAMAGE) this way. Then by underprocessing my whole head still leaving the edges til last.

@Teinci, I am just seeing my edges fill in. It's been 3.5 years since I began this oddessy, and 14 months since my last texlaxing. During this whole time, included scalp massages, and a few herbal applications. The damage takes time to revese but it can be done.

My edges were always breaking off and shorter when I had a relaxer. I had to make sure I used a light hair creme to keep them moist and tie my hair at night to prevent breakage.

I suppose I'll just accepted the fact that my edges are growing in and were, indeed, thinning out when I thought they were. I'm trying to manage them now and smooth them down because it looks like I BC'd when I put my hair in a ponytail. :lol:

Well my edges definitely suffered when I had a relaxer. I didn't know this until a couple of months into my transition, because I'd never styled my hair when I was natural as a child. It should be said that I have fine hair, however, and the perm naturally ate through parts of my hair that were more exposed than others, and not as fiberous.
I was really surprised to see I had small wispy hairs around my forehead, I've also recently noticed I have that extra inch of hair on the left side of my neck (below where the rest of my nape stops) that you'll often see on thick haired white men. I'm still contemplating whether to stop by a barber's for a shape up, it's slightly embarrassing. If you're transitioning I don't see why you'd need the treatment, your edges should grow in on their own if you don't relax them.

Let me be clear... when my edges first broke off (horribly so) I was nine and natural. When I did that 5 month stretch they started filling in... then when I relaxed I noticed a difference.

Boundless Tresses actually started growing my edges in.

yes my edges have become full and fabulous since I transitioned and BC'd over a year ago. I am amazed by it, because until now I assumed that my edges were naturally 'thin'. My hairline is now more pronounced so to speak.

Back