Relaxers who work out & sweat: Do you shed more?

I already know that you MUST wash/rinse out after working out to get rid of the sweat, I do a COwash straight after in the shower. But I was wondering if any of you notice MORE hair loss in the plug hole on exercise days than when washing hair on normal days when you did no exercise.

I say this because I've noticed that even with rinsing straight after working out, I always see more hair shedding than on days when I didn't do anything and wash normally.

Is this common or just me? Does excessive sweat and relaxed hair just NOT go together?

sweetcocoa

When I was still relaxed, I definetly had more shedding on the days I exercised. I didn't know then that the salt from the sweat was making my hair dry out and shed(and my scalp itch). I haven't noticed the shedding now that I'm natural. If I were still relaxed, I'd shampoo(lightly) to get rid of the salt from my scalp and hair as soon as I got home.

hi sweetcocoa.

I remember you used to workout with relaxed hair. I guess its true then that there's no escaping the extra shed factor after working out, even though I immediately wash the hair after...oh well. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Thanks for sharing!

NAY007

i work out and have relaxed hair but i never realized that i have more shedding on the days i work out. sometimes i work out five days in a row and there is no way i could rinse or wash my hair every day after working out. the reason for this is that my hair would never be dry. it would always be damp. that's why i stopped doing the conditioner washes everyday. having wet hair all the time really got on my nerves. i just wash my hair every three or four days and i think i can say that my hair is pretty healthy, but then i think it has a lot to do with your hair type how the salt affects your hair and scalp.

freckles

Good monrning ladies

I had no idea you should wash after excersizing. Do you do a shampoo conditioner wash only or just a rinse? I'm just starting an excersize regimine so i would definitely like to know.

Thanks!

Nay007, I definitely agree that its the difference in hair type that decides if the sweat/salt affects that person's hair or not. For me, I know that I shed ALOT more if I don't wash/rinse after a heavy workout sweat session. I remember before not washing the hair till the next day, sleeping overnight in the dried sweat and come time to wash the hair, I get TONNES of hair shedding. Its just my hair. My hairdresser told me that's whats doing it too when I once asked her and I agree. At least in my case it is.

I HAVE to do a conditioner wash after working out after each and every hard workout if I want to have minimal/zero shedding.

Your lucky that it doesn't affect you that way /images/graemlins/grin.gif. For me (and sweetcocoa) though it does so I have to be vigilant.

Freckles:

At the gym, I use Elucence conditioner only so I just do a COwash. But last night at home, I did *some* shampoo first (Cream of Nature) and then conditioner after.

Its up to you what you prefer.

sephora

bump...maybe this is another reason why i shed. but there's NO WAY i can wash my hair eveyr other day...that's just impossible. oh gosh...

inthepink

This is an interesting thread and exactly why I've been learning how to rinse my hair since I'm starting an exercise regimen for the new year. Good info...thanks for bumping!

Shana

I run every other day and I do not do a co wash after each work out session. My hair doesn't appear to shed more on running days. I will have to pay attention and see what happens on Wednesday when I run again. I noticed that my hair loves water, as long as it isn't getting it every day. I have to wash every 3-4 days to keep my hair from getting to hard (water in Iraq isn't exactly the best). I will start paying attention and let you know.

Leshia

I'm a runner (not since I've been pregnant though) and don't sweat, but POUR, and never really had any shedding. I would venture to think that it's coming from something else, but that's just my thought. I don't usually shed much regardless of what I'm doing.

shinyblackhair

If you don't wash your hair after working out for days at a time, doesn't your scalp start to um...er...well SMELL bad??? No offence inteneded I'm just wondering.

In the past, I didn't know I could wash with con. only and didn't want to shampoo daily so therefore didn't excercise as I should. I was afraid of my head stinking. Horrible, I know....

keeshesfromindy

Re: Relaxers who work out & sweat: Do you shed mor

I work out tuesdays through saturdays. On wednesdays I sweat really bad so I just do the conditioner wash. The other days, like tuesdays and thursdays, fridays. I do not sweat all that much, so I just spritz with distilled water and add some ISO bouncy cream then blow dry. Saturdays are my full wash days, either I wash my own hair, or I go to the beauty shop. This includes a deep conditioner for about two hours.
This regimen has made a difference in my hair, there is less shedding(I even started to think something was wrong because I was not seeing too much hair in my comb.) It also helps that I use a 100% pure silk shirt when going to bed at night. I just need to find something to wear, when walking to and from my car at work.

Keeshes.

starz

What do you ladies recommend for someone who can only work out in the morning and has to be to work by 9:30am. Wet hair and cold weather don't mix.

[ QUOTE ]
starz said:
What do you ladies recommend for someone who can only work out in the morning and has to be to work by 9:30am. Wet hair and cold weather don't mix.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's hard and it depends on how badly you shed after working out. If its alot and you HAVE to wash after, then if it were me I'd still wash it and towel dry alot.

If not, I'd squeeze in evenings if possible.

queenofmean68

You can cleanse your scalp with an Sea Breeze. I just part my hair and apply it with cotton balls.