Has anyone had extra hair shed from sweat?

Mahsiah

If you workout everyday, you know you get sweaty on the scalp and other places. If you don't wash your hair after a workout will your hair shed extra because of the sweat staying there?

ETA: I'm protective styling so it's not practical for me to wash my hair every single day. I do it only once a week now.

Last edited:

Mahsiah

guess not

Prudent1

If you workout everyday, you know you get sweaty on the scalp and other places. If you don't wash your hair after a workout will your hair shed extra because of the sweat staying there?

ETA: I'm protective styling so it's not practical for me to wash my hair every single day. I do it only once a week now.
Mahsiah,
Not that I'm aware of... I usually PS using twists or braids so that I can still manipulate my scalp. So, when I work out I can simply step in the shower and rinse my scalp or use an applicator bottle to apply shampoo to my scalp etc. There's lot of helpful info on keeping your scalp clean while working out in the fitness forum. You may want to take a peek over there. But I've never heard anyone claim that they had shedding due to sweat accumulating. I think you'd really have to neglect your scalp for a prolonged amount of time for that to happen. Like so long that your pores got clogged. I think all of us are sooo into healthy hair practices until that is not a likely outcome. HTH:yep:

natural2008

Sweat is nothing but salt and salt will make hair dry and break hair off. It's important to rinse the hair or something.

onesoulsista

Diluted Seabreeze or Witch Hazel is great at cleaning the scalp when u cant wash. Eventually the excessive sweating will take a toll on your hair

LivinMyLifeLikeItsGolden

I have that problem. I had my hair straightened and I was trying to keep it for as long as possible but I took a couple of hot yoga classes and by the time I washed my hair, it was shedding a lot. That is always my fear. My scalp does not like sweat sitting on it for too long.
This is a big reason why cornrows under a wig work great for me. I usually cowash after I exercise