Relaxing hair disaster!!!!

Trinity1

Hi Everyone,

Last night I couldnt take it,I had to tame the new growth and I was in a hurry to do it too. So I whip out the relaxer (Motion lye w/oil......the best!!!!) and I start relaxing. I didnt even base my scalp with vaseline. Ladies I felt like my head was on fire. I had the worst experience. I was halfway through my head when I started to feel the burning. I still went through the whole process stupidly taking the risk of loosing my hair. I finally got through it and the relaxer came out better than ever.I'm getting all kinds of compliments and stares today (if only they knew what I went through......lol) and my hair grew so I'm about 3 1/2 inches from bra strap length.

I will never relax without baseing my scalp again,I dont know what I was thinking. Anyway this morning when I started to style my hair I could feel some scabs on the scalp and a little bit of white cakey stuff on some parts of my hair. My guess is something was not rinsed out properly,anyway I'm going to rinse everyday until its gone. Has this happened to anyone before? Was there any hair loss because of it? and should I do something to prevent hair loss? I'm terrified I may have damaged my hair follicles and maybe I might have a disaster over the next few days. This happened several times before when I was younger and I never lost my hair but I want to be pro active.

Tee

That white cakey stuff sounds like there may still be some relaxer left. If I were I'd keep shampooing with the nuetralzing shampoo for a while. Also do an ACV rinse before you use Motion's CPR. That's what I do when I touch up my niece's hair. Then avoid the heat till your hair (and scalp)feels better.

Sorry to hear about that Tee. Aside from Sweetcocoa's great advice, you can also rub vitamin E oil on your scalp. It's very good.
smile.gif

If you have a lot of scabs on your scalp, use some Neosporin. That will clear them right up in a couple of days.
smile.gif
And try not to comb your hair too much until they heal!

So the Motions Oil Lye Relaxer is good?!?! I don't know if to say sorry for your experience, congratulations on your growth, or congratulations on the relaxer coming out well
confused.gif

Well good luck I think Sweetcocoas advice will definately help you overcome the bad with the good
smile.gif

Good Luck

Drea84
cool.gif

I'm so sorry that happened...I 100% second the recommendations to use vitamin-e oil (Jason naturals makes a great one) and neosporin. Also, here is another one to think about, upping your vitamin-B intake for a little while. Try a full B complex (not just one or two diff Bs). This is actually helpful in healing the scalp, when you have sores from having you hair damp to long, to scrapes, etc. on the scalp. IMO (if I'm wrong, someone jump in here pleez) it would help any speed the healing sores from relaxer burns, and your hair loves B vits anyway.
I think this in combination w/ the suggestions above should help you get back on track.
(be sure to take B w/ food, so you don't get a sick stomach).

I used to burn with most of my perms.....based or not, so I can tell ya, I think the cakey white stuff was fluid from ruptured blisters from the burns. My suggestion would be the neosporin and any other oil you use, however, I wouldn't wash it for a day or two. Let the sores heal. BTW...you just refreshed my memory as to why I'm not going back to a perm!

Tee Tee,
Sorry about your relaxer disaster, but you can recover. As far as the correlation between relaxer burns and hair growth; I think the burns do have a negative effect on hair growth.

This is what I noticed with my own hair.
With the relaxer I got 2 touch-ups ago I didn't base my scalp and got terrible burns around the edges. When it was time for my next touch-up, I barely had any growth in the spots where I had burns. I made sure I based my scalp well (with castor oil every night the week prior and Blue Duchess hair grease the night before). I got no burns what so ever. Now it's time for another touch-up and I noticed a lot more new growth this time around the edges. However, this may be related to all the vitamins I've been ingesting. (I'm not sure)

But I think it's definitely related.

HTH,
Jen

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Milkchoc said:
I think the cakey white stuff was fluid from ruptured blisters from the burns.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the same thing but wasn't gonna say anything (it sounds so gross). I get that sometimes, too. The hair gets all stuck together. I know it CAN'T be from not washing all the relaxer out... my stylist does about 5 shampoos!!

I agree that you should let the scabs heal at least a day or two before washing. (Use the neosporin!!)

Thank you all for replying. I appreciate everyones advice.

Sweetcocoa,
The idea of washing with the Neutralizing shampoo until everything is cleared up worked like a charm. I washed everyday for 3 days straight with the neutralizer and follow up with a regular conditioner wash and by the second day my hair and scalp were back to normal with no side effects from the burning. I have been wearing the braid out and using s curl as my moisturizer and will continue to do this throughout most of this relaxer until retouch time. That way I give my scalp and hair the moisture it needs after going under such stress. Thanks again.

Tee

Back