Help! Self-relaxing...can't find threads...

Cayenne0622

Hey guys - I need some tips. I'll be doing my relaxer tonight. I've been self-relaxing for a long time but now I realize that I was doing some things wrong. Is it a good idea to base my entire scalp right before relaxing? If so, does this keep the relaxer for doing its job on the newgrowth closest to the scalp since the base will of course get on some of the hair?

I already used Silk Elements moisturizing creme on my entire scalp this morning and I will of course protect my previously relaxed hair. I just want to protect my scalp and still do a good job relaxing.

Thanks for your help!

Radianthealth

I always base my entire scalp, but then again I texlax so if it is a little underprocessed it isn't that big of a deal. Below is a post that I placed on the board about three months ago. It outlines the steps I took when self relaxing. This time around I think I will use a nozzle tip bottle to apply the relaxer

"I have been trying to figure out what type of relaxer I would use since I made the decision to stop going to my hair stylist. I felt that she was not concerned with the health of my hair and she didn't do the necessary things like avoiding heat, using a timer for relaxer application, using proper products with the relaxer. Anyway...I digress. I was going to purchase a Mizani relaxer online but it was expensive so I researched and saw that Silk Elements got good reviews. I purchased the regular lye relaxer, the neutralizing shampoo, the hair mayonaise, and moisturizing conditioner (From Sally's). All of this came up to less than a third of what my stylist charges and what Mizani costs over the internet.

Here is what I did

1. I applied a mixture of olive oil and castor oil to my pre-relaxed strands to act as a barrier.

2. I applied petroleum jelly to my scalp to avoid burns

3. I added about 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the Silk Elements relaxer and applied starting in the crown of my head because this is the most coarse area of my head. My old stylist used to start at the nape of my neck despite the fact that this is the straightest part of my head and needs very little relaxing :mad: .

4. It took about 5 minutes to apply to the middle of my head, then I began to apply to my edges. I smoothed through for about 5 more minutes and let the relaxer sit for an additonal 5 minutes...So the relaxer was in my hair for 15 minutes (I used the stop watch on my cell phone to time everything).

5. I rinsed the relaxer from my hair and applied the hair mayonaise prior to the neutralizing shampoo. I read on a couple of hair boards that this is the best time to do a protien treatment to restore some of the protien that was broken down during the relaxer and add strength to your hair while the cuticle is still open. (I hope I got this right:look: )

6. I let the hair mayonaise sit for about 5 minutes. Then rinsed it out and used the neutralizing shampoo. I used the neutralizing shampoo twice, the first time I let it sit for about a minute. The total relaxer time including the mayonaise protien treatment was 20 minutes.

7. I mixed the Silk Elements moisturizing conditioner with the ORS conditioner pack, applied to my hair and sat under my heating cap for about 45 minutes.

8. I rinsed out the conditioner and applied Silk Elements moisturizer.

I am very happy with my results. Here are some of the benefits:

A. Silk Elements was economical. It cost 1/3 of what Mizani costs online and 1/3 of what my old hair stylist used to charge me.

B. Silk Elements did not have any smell. My husband (Who is clueless about hair) didn't even know that I was relaxing. I think he thought I was just doing something else weird to my hair... he just looks at me for a couple seconds with a puzzled look on his face... then he goes and watches ESPN :lol:

C. I didn't feel any burning. The Mizani that my stylist used to apply burned because I think she left it in too long. It seems like she would only rinse when I told her it was burning, and sometimes even if it was burning she would make me wait a couple minutes before rinsing:mad:. The last and final staw was when she did my last relaxer she had the nerve to use a tingling peppermint conditioner after neutralizing...WTF!!! My head was burning soo bad...common sense would tell someone not to use a tingling peppermint shampoo on someone that just got a relaxer:mad: :mad: :mad: I decided I am not giving her anymore of my money and now I can do my own hair on my own schedule at a fraction of the cost.... How EMPOWERING:D

Here are some of my concerns:

A. I am pretty sure that I overlapped onto some of my pre-relaxed hair. It was really hard not to, I know that my stylist used to overlap all the time. In the smoothing process some of the relaxed hair gets matted down with the virgin hair so hopefully my olive castor oil barrier helped me out.

B. I got a good ammount of shedding (I think because they were long strands). I will continue to treat my hair "like silk" and start using garlic oil mixed in with my conditioner to minimize the breakage.

In conclusion I am very happy because my 12 week stretch resulted in about 2 inches of newgrowth. I was 8-9 inches in May now I am 10-11 inches. I should be full shoulder length or beyond by December. This is the longest my hair has EVER been.

Thank you to everyone for all of your advice and God Bless."

Cayenne0622

trimbride said:
I always base my entire scalp, but then again I texlax so if it is a little underprocessed it isn't that big of a deal. Below is a post that I placed on the board about three months ago. It outlines the steps I took when self relaxing. This time around I think I will use a nozzle tip bottle to apply the relaxer

"I have been trying to figure out what type of relaxer I would use since I made the decision to stop going to my hair stylist. I felt that she was not concerned with the health of my hair and she didn't do the necessary things like avoiding heat, using a timer for relaxer application, using proper products with the relaxer. Anyway...I digress. I was going to purchase a Mizani relaxer online but it was expensive so I researched and saw that Silk Elements got good reviews. I purchased the regular lye relaxer, the neutralizing shampoo, the hair mayonaise, and moisturizing conditioner (From Sally's). All of this came up to less than a third of what my stylist charges and what Mizani costs over the internet.

Here is what I did

1. I applied a mixture of olive oil and castor oil to my pre-relaxed strands to act as a barrier.

2. I applied petroleum jelly to my scalp to avoid burns

3. I added about 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the Silk Elements relaxer and applied starting in the crown of my head because this is the most coarse area of my head. My old stylist used to start at the nape of my neck despite the fact that this is the straightest part of my head and needs very little relaxing :mad: .

4. It took about 5 minutes to apply to the middle of my head, then I began to apply to my edges. I smoothed through for about 5 more minutes and let the relaxer sit for an additonal 5 minutes...So the relaxer was in my hair for 15 minutes (I used the stop watch on my cell phone to time everything).

5. I rinsed the relaxer from my hair and applied the hair mayonaise prior to the neutralizing shampoo. I read on a couple of hair boards that this is the best time to do a protien treatment to restore some of the protien that was broken down during the relaxer and add strength to your hair while the cuticle is still open. (I hope I got this right:look: )

6. I let the hair mayonaise sit for about 5 minutes. Then rinsed it out and used the neutralizing shampoo. I used the neutralizing shampoo twice, the first time I let it sit for about a minute. The total relaxer time including the mayonaise protien treatment was 20 minutes.

7. I mixed the Silk Elements moisturizing conditioner with the ORS conditioner pack, applied to my hair and sat under my heating cap for about 45 minutes.

8. I rinsed out the conditioner and applied Silk Elements moisturizer.

I am very happy with my results. Here are some of the benefits:

A. Silk Elements was economical. It cost 1/3 of what Mizani costs online and 1/3 of what my old hair stylist used to charge me.

B. Silk Elements did not have any smell. My husband (Who is clueless about hair) didn't even know that I was relaxing. I think he thought I was just doing something else weird to my hair... he just looks at me for a couple seconds with a puzzled look on his face... then he goes and watches ESPN :lol:

C. I didn't feel any burning. The Mizani that my stylist used to apply burned because I think she left it in too long. It seems like she would only rinse when I told her it was burning, and sometimes even if it was burning she would make me wait a couple minutes before rinsing:mad:. The last and final staw was when she did my last relaxer she had the nerve to use a tingling peppermint conditioner after neutralizing...WTF!!! My head was burning soo bad...common sense would tell someone not to use a tingling peppermint shampoo on someone that just got a relaxer:mad: :mad: :mad: I decided I am not giving her anymore of my money and now I can do my own hair on my own schedule at a fraction of the cost.... How EMPOWERING:D

Here are some of my concerns:

A. I am pretty sure that I overlapped onto some of my pre-relaxed hair. It was really hard not to, I know that my stylist used to overlap all the time. In the smoothing process some of the relaxed hair gets matted down with the virgin hair so hopefully my olive castor oil barrier helped me out.

B. I got a good ammount of shedding (I think because they were long strands). I will continue to treat my hair "like silk" and start using garlic oil mixed in with my conditioner to minimize the breakage.

In conclusion I am very happy because my 12 week stretch resulted in about 2 inches of newgrowth. I was 8-9 inches in May now I am 10-11 inches. I should be full shoulder length or beyond by December. This is the longest my hair has EVER been.

Thank you to everyone for all of your advice and God Bless."

Girl, thank you soooooooooooo much!!! This is one of the posts that I was looking for because I actually bought a nozzle tip bottle with the intent of relaxing this way!! Whew! I don't know why the search option wasn't working today. It kept taking me to an error page saying the server couldn't be found...whatever! lol

Thanks again.

Cayenne0622

Oh, one more thing...your oil concoction may not have been thick enough to act as a barrier to protect your previously relaxed hair. I always smother my previously relaxed hair in some kind of cheap thick conditioner but this time I think I'll use grease or something since they have petrolatum or mineral oil which are thick barriers.