Relaxing only the edges/front of your hair... Anyone heard of/do this?

Twix

I recently asked a friend of mine whose hair I admire if the was relaxed, texlaxed, or natural. She asked for clarification about texlaxed, and after I explained it to her, she explained to me that she only relaxes the edges of her hair. The rest she presses as needed, though most of the time she stays weaved up (she models).

I thought about this (and her hair as I had seen it for the last five-ish years) and it made a lot of sense. The front part of one's hair would be the biggest concern as far as reversion, I'd think. I was thinking about doing this myself. I plan on and off about relaxing my hair when it gets to a longer, healthy length, but I'd be lying if I said it wouldn't be easier to wear my half wigs with just the front of my hair relaxed.

Anyway -- does anyone else do this? Know of someone who does? Thoughts or advice? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

kinkycurlyB

Before I started transitioning, I did it all the the time. I wear weaves a lot so if I was wearing a straight weave then I would only relaxed my edges and leaveout because it didnt make since relaxing my whole head if its going to be braided up and hidden.

Twix

Before I started transitioning, I did it all the the time. I wear weaves a lot so if I was wearing a straight weave then I would only relaxed my edges and leaveout because it didnt make since relaxing my whole head if its going to be braided up and hidden.

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, that makes sense to me, too...

toinette

Tricking the president
a lot of people do this, mostly when wearing weaves but even when they are just stretching their relaxers. They'll relax only the front and edges to keep it looking "neat" until they finish their stretch.

Twix

IIRC, I think my mom used to do this when I was younger. I'd never heard of someone staying natural with all the rest of their hair but relaxed with the edges though. I would assume that one would use a lye relaxer for this, elsewise you'd just end up wasting a lot of money on a box no-lye one, yeah?

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
lol, please nobody be offended, but I've heard of it, seen it, and I think it's crazy. I hope no one is offended by that, but it's what I think.
It looks crazy because the front is straight and the rest is kinky or curly or whatever. That's okay, for if you want to wear straight weaves/wigs/your hair bone straight all the time. But you won't be able to wear your natural texture out and about, because getting relaxed hair to blend with natural hair generally takes an act of God. And even if you wear your own hair straightened all the time, it still looks crazy because the back will revert over time and the front sections won't.

It also looks crazy because the relaxed part will probably have special needs. I know naturals who have tried just relaxing their edges and napes, to make the hair easier to lay down, blend with weave, or whatever, and they ended up with breakage all along those areas. Some of them are still rolling with it and some of them are trying to transition those parts of hair back to natural. But all of them look crazy, unless they wear a wide headband to cover up the breakage.

And it sounds crazy, because like....relaxer is permanent. I don't understand permanently altering a section of your head to blend in with a temporary style. And as time goes on, it just gets more and more complicated...as the relaxer grows out, you have to worry about new growth and blending that in, the line of demarcation at that area, touching up that area without getting any on your natural hair, :blah:. I feel like it's the kind of thing that makes your life easier for....6 weeks, and then after that, it's just harder than ever. Maybe you should look into BKT or something, but relaxer? Naww son. :nono:

FearfullyMade

I've heard of people who do this, I personally don't know if I'd do this unless I was only stretching ( and even still I'd probably just wait to relax it all at the same time ). I usually get full head sew-ins without any hair out.

loved

I do this if I'm stretching using a weave and I'm tired of wearing the closure. For example, I wanted a more natural look for my baby shower/delivery so the top and edges were relaxed while the rest was weaved away.

yamilee21

I know some women who do this; they are "natural" but relax the front edges. However, they always rollerset, so you would never really be able to notice. The only way you know is if you happen to be with them as they are getting their hair done. I don't know how it works with weaves or other styles, but actually works quite well for consistent rollersetters.

Last edited:

frida1980

I did this when I wore weaves. I didn't realize the damage until I took it out. Relaxed hair is really delicate after all.

Last edited:

nikolite

I used to do this before I went natural. Sort of before I started to transition, but in a way I was already transitioning. Its not as crazy as it sounds, but it depends on your hair type. My hair could lay down with some products and look straight enough with just relaxed edges (those were the parts that frizzed up the most because of the shorter strands). I also blow dried it straight normally and no one knew the difference. Even with a kinkier hair type you could probably flat iron.

I guess it probably looked texlaxed to some (although I don't think people were hip to that back then) but it also just looked like regular hair. I liked it because I could have straighter looking hair but while being thick at the same time (my hair looked really thin relaxed and I always hated that, especially after many years of the ends slowly breaking off).

Last edited:

gadgetdiva

I did it because my edges did not match the rest of my natural curl pattern. It never was straight straight, I just wanted my edges to cooperate w/ the rest of my hair. It worked for me here's a pic of how I used to wear it:

Its all about personal preference

dm81

I knew a woman who did this....she looks like Stevie Wonder now with her 12 inch forehead and all....

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
my cousin used to do this because she thought they were nappy. i told her her whole head was nappy but apparently she only cared about her edges. *shrugs*

i also once saw a pic of a lady with dreads who relaxed her edges. what has been seen cannot be unseen. :nono: it was definitely brutal.

i probably wouldn't do it because even though my edges are the nappiest of my hair they are typically pretty easy for me to handle.

gadgetdiva

my cousin used to do this because she thought they were nappy. i told her her whole head was nappy but apparently she only cared about her edges. *shrugs*

i also once saw a pic of a lady with dreads who relaxed her edges. what has been seen cannot be unseen. :nono: it was definitely brutal.

i probably wouldn't do it because even though my edges are the nappiest of my hair they are typically pretty easy for me to handle.

OK now that sounds crazy...had to look crazier... and you're right:

:lachen:

iri9109

i know alot of people who wear weaves constantly, and relaxed their edges/leave out regularly and the rest of their hair maybe 2x a year...my best friend did that and whenever she took her weave out the back and middle would be all healthy & long, and the top would look A HOT MESS. some people who wear mainly ponytails or buns and just relax the front to make it lay down...i wouldnt do it though.

Twix

Thanks everyone for the feedback and opinions. I really appreciate it. Keeps me from randomly doing things because someone else thinks it's a good idea without careful consideration. ;) Not that I go about doing crazy reckless things all the time, but you get me.

danysedai

Thanks everyone for the feedback and opinions. I really appreciate it. Keeps me from randomly doing things because someone else thinks it's a good idea without careful consideration. ;) Not that I go about doing crazy reckless things all the time, but you get me.

I think they call it a "halo relaxer" if you do a search in the forum or online by halo relaxer you'll find more answers.

L.Brown1114

I relaxed my edges before I relaxed my whole head. I'm back natural and plan on doing it again. My curl pattern is 3c/4a and I have two random a$$ patches at my edges that are 4c so I had to texlax my edges in order for it to blend in with my normal pattern.

I think it would look weird if your whole head is a kinkier texture and you texlaxed. It wouldn't blend in well no matter the style in my opinion

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I'm thinking about doing this. Any thoughts on this? Anyone doing it?

Unless you are doing it for a specific reason, I'm not sure why it's under consideration. As most of the previous posters, I used to do this for weaves as well.

Is there a different reason for wanting it?

cherishlove

Unless you are doing it for a specific reason, I'm not sure why it's under consideration. As most of the previous posters, I used to do this for weaves as well.

Is there a different reason for wanting it?
I wear weaves and my leave out is being butchered because I want it straight. I only wear straight hair or a little texture and it is challenging but I've been wearing my hair like this for a year almost and everyone thinks it's my hair.

ajargon02

When I was younger, I had braids, but my bangs were out. I would only relax my bangs so I could curl them.

pink gator

I do this. I actually did it again this afternoon and am sitting under my Pibbs as I type this reply.

Atlanta stylists call it a "Partial Retouch," or simply "Partials." I like the "Halo," though.

My reasons:

1. I'm growing out an undercut-pixie and my edges and occipital region just won't "lay" right four weeks post full retouch.
2. My hair growth really isn't uniform, so some areas may grow faster than others and will need partials.

I use PhytoRelaxer, but I divide the kit into thirds before mixing.