Remedy to frequent touch-ups?

BabeinChrist

Question:

I have type 4B hair which is really dry and kinky around the edges. My stylist does "touch ups" on my edges maybe three weeks after she relaxes it because I wear it in a fake ponytail and the edges need to be straight or else it looks like, "what's the point?"

I have to admit my hair has been growing since I started wearing it about a year ago but my edges and nape are thin, they've never caught up and I'm trying to achieve healthy hair. I never really thought about this until frequenting the forum.

In addition, I've just started (as of two weeks ago) drinking 64 ounces of water a day and taking a good multivitamin. I'm giving myself 6 months to show more improvement since I know that will take a while.

Is there anything I can do to maintain sleek edges without the frequent touch-ups? Keep in mind that I have true naps and not waves, loose coils or anything of that nature. Two weeks after I'm relaxed my hair will revert and no, I'm not underprocessed, it's just that without blowdrying and hot curling it will look like a bush.

Suggestions, please!

Hello Babeinchrist.....

In high school I use to wear alot of pin ponytails, buns and other updos. I had a similar problem. Try the Vo5 hotoil treatment it would prolong my relaxer another 2-4 weeks, if did the treatment at least once a week. plus it help to keep those end and the rest of my hair strong especially since it was always stressed by the updo. . see if that works. The thought of you getting those ends touched up every 3 weeks :ohwell: doesnt feel too right. anyway....hope that helps...

Yes, it doesn't feel to right to my hair either! It's really thin around the edges and I'm convinced it's due to the touchups. My mother suggests that I stop relaxing all together but that's a big decision and I'm not prepared to do that just yet.

Ideally I would like to have my hair as thick and healthy as it was when I was younger, pre-relaxed (it was as thick and nearly as long as Rudy Huxtables), and just getting it pressed but I'm simply not skilled at doing my own hair which is why I keep it in a ponytail and relaxed.

Ok---it may not sit well w/ your stylist--but maybe after she gels you up and everything for the ponytail she can tie a satin scarf around your edges and then put you under the dryer--then--when u are are dry--your edges will lay flat and be smooth.

You can also follow that method at home when you tie your hair up. I used to have one scarf around my edges and then another over my entire head.

Maybe she'll consider b/c getting touched up every 3 weeks--your edges may never catch up w/ the rest of your hair.

She puts styling gel on the edges after she washes, conditions, protein treatment, etc and puts my hair in a ponytail with tissue paper around the edges and puts me under the hooded dryer. When it dries, my hair is smooth and sleek. Then she puts the ponytail over my hair and I'm out the door. The problem is between then and the next week, my hair will revert back so when I go into the shop again, it looks a mess. I do try to put gel on my hair when I'm at home but cannot get that strong hold like she does. Maybe I need to buy a hooded dryer.

I definitely know that I need to stop the frequent touch ups, though. My scalp is not feeling all of those chemicals. Maybe I need to try another hairstyle all together, but it would have to be low maintenance.

Thanks for the suggestions ladies! I do appreciate them. :)

hi BIC, there's a stick that some ladies have been using and suggested. it's a type of wax stick that you use to lay your hair down. i did a search on the threads and google and i can't find it. hopefully someone will jump in with the name. if i find it i'll come back.

SweetCaramel1 said:
hi BIC, there's a stick that some ladies have been using and suggested. it's a type of wax stick that you use to lay your hair down. i did a search on the threads and google and i can't find it. hopefully someone will jump in with the name. if i find it i'll come back.

I think it's called a Tancho Stick. I've never used it though

I have the Tigi Bed Head Hair Stick. I bought it at my local BSS. It was kind of pricey--$20 but it works. There are others out there, they are all basically the same, wax that you apply to keep the sides down. They work well for me. HTH

grnidmonster said:
I have the Tigi Bed Head Hair Stick. I bought it at my local BSS. It was kind of pricey--$20 but it works. There are others out there, they are all basically the same, wax that you apply to keep the sides down. They work well for me. HTH

Hmm, I see you're a 3c. I wonder if it will work on my 4B hair. I found one on eBay though for $12.07 total though, so I ordered it. I also changed my ponytail from a "high" ponytail to a "low" one. That seems to put less stress on my nape area since that is the trouble spot. It eases the tension.

I would change up my hair style quick,fast, and in a hury.

Your edges will thin out from the constant relaxers and tensioin from the ponytail.

I suggest getting some wet sets, like those straw sets. Or if you just want to stick with the ponytail get a nappy ponytail so when your edges get nappy they will match. A

But, don't damage your scalp or your hair for the look. I regret constantly getting braids when I was younger cause now my edges are soo thin and I am natural. I also regret trying to do my own relaxer cause now 2 spots on my head are really thin. Less dense than the other spots.

So do what you know is good/BEST to do now, so you don't regret later downt he road.

I know I do.

Co-signing TrustMeLove. No hairstyle is worth ruining your edges for. I also have 4b hair and usually wear it pulled up or back. After the first few weeks of a relaxer I rock a side part and smooth my hair over the edges. Try it. You can switch up where you put the part to change up the look.

I have been using a phonytail too, but I used Let's Jam to slick it up, and because of how curly my roots are, by the time my hair gets a big hot, it starts to curl and frizz.

I stopped using the Let's Jam, and I have also stopped using the phony cos I dont want my edges looking busted.
I dont like the idea of touching up the edges at all, so I dont do it. I want all my hair to grow together, and the front, grows the slowest and is thinner than the back.

Keep the suggestions coming about the edges please.

The best solution I can offer you is to get flat twist with curls, it helps extend perms and hair isn't manipulated as frequently causing it to get thick.

I use the tancho stick on my edges after relaxing and it's nice... I like it better than gel because gel seems to make my relaxer revert back too soon....

Part your hair down the middle and wear the ponytail like that. That way, only a very tiny part of the edges are showing and you can easily gel that little part down.

These are all great suggestions! But what are flat twists? I'm sorry but I am hair inept--the only style I can pull off myself and make it look decent is a ponytail. Anything too complicated and I can't do it. :perplexed

Yes, I can find a nappy ponytail but now I'm wondering if that is helping my nape area to thin since I wear the kind with the drawstring. I went to the BSS today but didn't have time enough to look through everything. Ahh, all of this gets overwhelming for me and stresses me out. I just want to wake up in the morning and go and look good when I'm going. When I manipulate my hair too much it gets thin and the ends start to break. Oooh and the roots! It's a forest under there!

Back