Road Trip...Hairstyle Suggestions???

Lady Esquire

Hey ladies. We're driving to Miami this weekend from Atlanta (10-hour trip). We are only going to be there for about 3-4 days. I am 9 weeks post-relaxer, with a ton of new growth. I know it is not too soon for a relaxer, but I am on my own personal challenge to stretch for as long as my hair can take it.

I was thinking a tight flexirod set...and I have yet to do one. But it sounds like a low-maintenance hair do.

I love braid styles in general and especially for vacations and hot weather.

Whatever you decide, I have a little tip that will help your hair, guaranteed! If you have a silk scarf, a remnant of satin or silky lining material (Joann's has this dirt cheap) you can use that to wrap around the headrest and tie it in the back. This way your hair is not going to get beat up on the upholstery material, even if your scarf slips up in the back while you snooze. It's just a second layer of protection.

If you carry one in your bag you can bust it out for long train or plane trips too.

For my car this is a 24/7/365 deal, but if you have leather or something you may not need it all the time.

joyousnerd said:
I love braid styles in general and especially for vacations and hot weather.

Whatever you decide, I have a little tip that will help your hair, guaranteed! If you have a silk scarf, a remnant of satin or silky lining material (Joann's has this dirt cheap) you can use that to wrap around the headrest and tie it in the back. This way your hair is not going to get beat up on the upholstery material, even if your scarf slips up in the back while you snooze. It's just a second layer of protection.

If you carry one in your bag you can bust it out for long train or plane trips too.

For my car this is a 24/7/365 deal, but if you have leather or something you may not need it all the time.

Joyous, you and I are on the same page, 'cuz my silk scarves are a staple in my purse, glove compartment, everywhere :lol: Thanks for the tip at Joanne, I need some newer ones.

You think a flexirod set will hold up if I tie it up?

It's kinda hot and wet in Miamia right now, major factors for poofy, frizzy hair. I'm not sure if the flexirod will hold up but maybe if you moisturize very well before and after you curl it, then that my help. Using a silicon spray might work to keep it frizz free.

lisana said:
It's kinda hot and wet in Miamia right now, major factors for poofy, frizzy hair. I'm not sure if the flexirod will hold up but maybe if you moisturize very well before and after you curl it, then that my help. Using a silicon spray might work to keep it frizz free.

I know how humid it can be, I grew up there and I remember those wet summers :mad: . Its just that I have so much new growth and my buns are looking so jacked up lately. I wanted something kinda cute...the silicon spray you mentioned, are there any brands you suggest? TIA. ;)

-Silk Elements heat protectant spray is nice (I've used this and it's really nice, smells great)
-I just read in Instyle magazine abut a silicone gel by Victoria's Secret called So Sexy. I's supposed to not weigh hair down. I can't wait to try that

okay thanks for the suggestions. i think i may do a trial run today to see how it looks...and i may take pics. thanks for replying. :)

What about cornrows? They are extremely low maintenance - just moisturize, wrap in a silk scarf, and go. You wont have to worry about styling everyday and about humidity.

I saw a cute hairstyle on MTV yesterday. The girl had one of those cute headband like scarves on her head, but she had pulled out all of her bangs in front of the scarf and had the rest of her hair in a high ponytail. The scarf covered all of her new growth! It looked very pretty, I'm going to try it myself!

I wish I had a photo of how she wore it, but I bet you can visualize it :)

Braids, french roll, or maybe a half wig.

We're taking a couple of road trips this summer, and styling my hair is not an option. My kids are water bunnies so normally I'm in the water with them. The french roll works for me and it's cute.

Bantu knot sets are really an easy style, especially if you have to "redo" your hair every nite because of the humidity. It takes like 20 minutes to moisturize and put about 10 knots in your hair to have your hair come out lookin great! :)

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I am currently nursing my hairline, which is suffering from hereditary thinning, so cornrows and braids are out.

GABullDog, I a french roll is a good idea.

DLewis, a half wig will also look really nice, and I could cover my new growth with a scarf.

Energist, the hairstyle you mentioned, with a scarf, bang, and pony brings me way back...it is a cute style esp w/hoop earrings.

I have some good choices. Thanks ya'll :D

Girl,

I say definitely go for the curls. I know how the heat can be in the ATL and MIA- very humid. Don't even attempt to do a straight do.

That's my 2 cents :)

NuMe2004 said:
Girl,

I say definitely go for the curls. I know how the heat can be in the ATL and MIA- very humid. Don't even attempt to do a straight do.

That's my 2 cents :)

Yeah I am with you on that on that one. Plus with new growth, I would look like a ball of frizz, yuck!

Back