Roller Set Advice from the Dermatologist

blksndrlla

So, my aunt had some hair advice from her dermatologist. He told her that she should be careful of her rollersets. His advice makes sense. He said to make sure not to roll to tight if you do a roller set. You stretch the hair to the max and when it dries, it shrinks. Enter the damage. It can weaken your hair and cause breakage. Her hair has grown its longest (BSL or longer) and she is 50!

I'm just passing the info on.

complexsimplicity

This is one reason why I'm only doing wet rollersets on special occasions now. I feel like I'm hurting my hair more than helping it sometimes. Especially when I'm many weeks post.

Honi

There is no board.
Me either especially when using magnetics. I can see how this can happen with wire mesh rollers.

prospurr4

Thanks for the info...and I agree that a too-tight rollerset can damage the hair.

I rollerset weekly, using magnetic rollers. I've done this for many years with no problems.

LushLox

I've been doing rollersets on and off for years - it hasn't damaged my hair, but it certainly is a fair point. I can only get the roller so tight anyway; I would never roll the hair so that it ultimately causes stress on my hair.

I don't think I'll use the Anchor method too often as that technique certainly involves pulling the hair much tighter than I normally would.

ajoyfuljoy

I've been doing rollersets on and off for years - it hasn't damaged my hair, but it certainly is a fair point. I can only get the roller so tight anyway; I would never roll the hair so that it ultimately causes stress on my hair.

I don't think I'll use the Anchor method too often as that technique certainly involves pulling the hair much tighter than I normally would.

that's me too. I never get it tight enough for my roots and always have to flat iron them. So I'm not worried about this. But if you go to the shop, that is probably something to be concerned about.

Everything Zen

THIS is why I normally do a DRY ROLLERSET (for curly styles only with small magnetic rollers). I know know it sounds counter-intuitive but I figured it out last year. It's simple, roll your hair dry (you may have to use more of a setting creme or lotion) but manipulate the hair while it's dry and roll it up. THEN dunk your head in the shower and saturate the rollers. Sit under hair dryer or air dry and there you go! :yep: HTH

I don't know how this would work for a super straight rollerwrap style but it works on curly looks with tons of new growth. :look:

LovingMe87

Thanks OP! Maybe that"s why when I was in high school I had short pieces of hair sticking up where I put the rollers for my roller wraps!