Rollersetting...BREAKAGE???

Kimbosheart

I am attempting to rollerset for the rest of the year to see if that helps me retain length.

I am currently sitting under the dryer now and I am noticing little short hairs all over the place. I am natural/BKT'd and when I tension dry and flat iron my hair I don't have this problem. In fact the last time I saw these little broken hairs was when I tried to rollerset a few months ago.

Can anybody please help me stop this? Its kinda scary, I thought I had stopped breakage for good.

My rollersetting regi:
Prepoo with EVOO and Shea Butter
Shampoo once
DC (today used mend/coconutoil/Blackstrap molasses)
Rollerset (leave-in was NTM and used a spray bottle with 3:1 of water and silk setting lotion

TIA

longhairlover

I had that happen with the crown area of my hair, so I would put the rollers on that part of my hair under not over to keep from pulling, don't roll too tight either, you can always blow dry the roots straight.

I keep my rollersetting simple using one leave in that is either for damaged hair or damaged and heat resistant my faves.

Salerm Biokera treatments for ends - great product superb!!!
or
Lacio lacio mixed with Una bomba leave in good combo as well with great detangling.

I try to use only one or 2 products for my sets for the bounciest sets.

BronxMyth

That happened to me also. But now I roller my hair around, instead of under. Hope that makes sense. :look:
In addition, the rollers don't have to be set tight. The hair swells under the dryer. Hope this helps.

LivingDol1

try to use less setting lotion. sometimes if i use too much setting lotion, the hair dries too crunchy, and therefore is more likely to suffer some breakage.

what method are you using to rollerset? do you clamp your rollers together? or anchor to your head?

Kimbosheart

what method are you using to rollerset? do you clamp your rollers together? or anchor to your head?

Thanks all! I will probably eliminate the setting lotion next week. And I have tried lacio lacio and silicon mix before but they do nothing for my hair. Until my next haul, I will probably be using the NTM and just plain water to wet my hair for the rollers.

I use the mohawk method and I anchor the rollers to my head.

ceebee3

I used the anchor method when I first learned to set my hair and I think that and a combination of rolling too tight broke my hair.

Try not to anchor the rollers together, once I stopped that I have no broken hairs when I set.

PrettyBrownEyes

I have suffered with this too. A hairstylist on-line said that my hair was probably drying out under the dryer. Make sure you are using a really good moisturizer on your hair before you set it and also, I would say watch your technique, i.e. not pulling your hair too tight.

Adgirl

I have this happen to me! My hair was triving and now so many littles hairs all over my head! It is very frustrating! I started going to the hair dresser to get it roller set and in a course of 5 months my hair is out of order. When rollersetting they pull my hair too tight so that my natural hair comes out straight. I believe this is what caused the brakage. It took me a while to figure out what was going on. Since I moved to a new city I thought it was the water or something :-(

Ganjababy

You are rolling your hair too tight onto the rollers. When your hair is wet it is much stretchier. Once it dries it does not have the same stretch but because it is rolled so tightly onto the roller it snaps. This used to happen to me.

ayoung

I don't have anymore to add to the good advice the ladies gave--but was wondering what tension drying is? :confused:

I am currently sitting under the dryer now and I am noticing little short hairs all over the place. I am natural/BKT'd and when I tension dry and flat iron my hair I don't have this problem. In fact the last time I saw these little broken hairs was when I tried to rollerset a few months ago.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
For relaxed heads, I stop rollersetting at 10 weeks post relaxer. Make sure you use a lot of mosturizer and water. No setting lotion!!

Christelyn

I gave up roller setting for this very reason. Sorry to say, but now I wash, style and flat iron my hair every 2-3 weeks and wear it in a protective style. I'm retaining a lot of length and am very close to APL. Good luck, I hope you figure out what works for you.