Rosemary Hair Rinses Anybody?

JamericanGurl

My SIL swears by them! She has a 3c 23 inch mane.
Have any of you used Rosemary Rinses?

She boils Rosemary leaves and lets the seep and then rinses her hair after she conditions.

Your thoughts?

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I remember when I first joined LHCF and alot of long haired ladies were talking about steapping herbs and doing rinses w/them Rosemary was one of them and Nettle, I think WVixxen and Isis does this if I'm not mistaken. Hopefully they'll chime in it sounds good, I was just too lazy to try it. :lol:

Cleve_gryl

Would you just use fresh rosemary leaves, or dried ones? I love natural remedies and would be willing to experiment. :scratchch

LaNecia

:wave:

I've not done finishing rinses with rosemary though this weekend I did find some nice recipes in organic beauty books from the library. :brainy: I'll try to post some in the next few days.

I used the rosemary tea as a water base for my henna mixtures. My hair turned out very nice when I was doing this regularly.

BrooklynSouth

JamericanGurl said:
My SIL swears by them! She has a 3c 23 inch mane.
Have any of you used Rosemary Rinses?

She boils Rosemary leaves and lets the seep and then rinses her hair after she conditions.

Your thoughts?

Rinse, never tried that but a friend out in Long Beach Long Island grows everything and I mean just about every herb {if only he were more my type!}; he gives me rosemary and sage which I use in coconut oils. I steep them double boiler style for a few hours to make pomades. I love the scent and my hair's love of the potion. Never tried the rinse but the pomade is pretty cool, I never strain just leave the herbs in the oil. Basically a sealant after moisturizers and as an overnight edge treatment. Results:confused: :confused: , don't know I use so much stuff! {Silver hair cure?..naahhh}

Last edited:

JamericanGurl

VWVixxen said:
:wave:

I've not done finishing rinses with rosemary though this weekend I did find some nice recipes in organic beauty books from the library. :brainy: I'll try to post some in the next few days.

I used the rosemary tea as a water base for my henna mixtures. My hair turned out very nice when I was doing this regularly.
I knew you'd know!:lachen:
My SIL uses dried Rosemary leaves. What's the difference between that and the tea?

ayoung

when i was natural i used to do a rosemary rinse (fresh rosemary leaves) and used a rosemary spritz religiously! i did them b/c rosemary was suppossed to be good for growth---not sure i saw any results though. (it was hard for me to notice anything while natural..split ends, growth, etc...)

haven't done them since i relaxed....i may try and see if anything good comes from them

Christa438

I just took a thing of rosemary leaves from my mama's kitchen cabinet yesterday. They smell so good. I told my mom that they smelled like a tea I once bought from the grocery store. She explained to me that the stores do have rosemary tea. I'm so slow, but in my defense I think that was when I wanted to taste a different tea other than lipton and didn't really pay attention to the name of the tea but grabbed it and drank it when I got home.

I was going to do a rinse with the leaves this week. Supposedly they bring shine to dull hair.

I got this recipe from recipegoldmine website:
4 tablespoons [COLOR=blue! important][FONT=Arial, Tahoma, sans-serif][COLOR=blue! important][FONT=Arial, Tahoma, sans-serif]rosemary[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR]
2 cups water
Boil rosemary in water for 10 minutes. Strain; cool.
Pour one cup over damp, shampooed hair. Massage into scalp. Rinse. Save the rest for another treatment.

BTW: I also took some sesame seeds. (She has enough to spare as far as I'm concerned, though she has asked me to stop grocery shopping at her house.:lol: ) I am planning on boiling it, letting it cool, and then mixing the liquid with coconut conditioner, milk, eggs, and honey. This is supposed to be for protein. I'll try this treatment next month maybe.

Cleve_gryl

I couldn't wait for VWVixxen, I did a Google search :perplexed

http://www.creative-home.net/Article88.htm

Medicinal Uses of Rosemary
Rosemary is an astringent and antiseptic. It is great for digestion, and the circulatory and nervous systems, although large doses can be counterproductive and irritate the stomach or over-stimulate the heart. As with any herb, you need to be sure that using a rosemary herbal remedy is the right thing to do for you, as everyone reacts differently to herbal preparations.

Rosemary is rich in antioxidants and has traditionally been used to ease asthma. Rosemary can also help with headaches, and to give you more mental focus and clarity. It is often used in shampoos and conditioners as it is great for your hair and it has been said that it slows hair loss.

Homemade Rosemary Hair Oil
Rosemary is reputed to improve the health of your hair folicles and to help stave off premature hair loss. It also darkens your hair over time and is often used in place of harsh hair dyes to gently darken gray hair. Here's a simple recipe for homemade rosemary hair oil:

Fill a mason jar with fresh rosemary leaves and cover the leaves completely with sweet almond oil or sesame oil. Let this mixture steep in a sunny window for four weeks, turning the jar a little each day. After one month, strain the mixture through a coffee filter or multiple layers of cheesecloth to remove the leaves. Decant the oil to a colored bottle and store in a cool dark place.

To Use:
Place a few tablespoons of rosemary oil in a small bowl. Warm the oil in the microwave, or by placing the small bowl into a larger bowl full of very hot water, until the oil is gently warmed. Work the oil into your hair with your fingers and cover with a shower cap. You could wrap a warm towel around your head to help the oil penetrate more easily. Leave on for 15 minutes to half an hour, then wash and rinse your hair as normal.

Rosemary Hair Rinse
Simply combine 1 cup of rosemary leaves with 5 cups of water and simmer for about half an hour. Let cool, strain out the leaves, and decant the rinse into a clean bottle. Use as a final hair rinse after shampooing to control oily hair and promote a healthy shine.

Isis

BeautifulWideEyes said:
I remember when I first joined LHCF and alot of long haired ladies were talking about steapping herbs and doing rinses w/them Rosemary was one of them and Nettle, I think WVixxen and Isis does this if I'm not mistaken. Hopefully they'll chime in it sounds good, I was just too lazy to try it. :lol:
Actually, I wasn't rinsing my hair with the Nettle, just drinking it as a tea. It is good for hair internally as well and boosts the iron in the body.:)

~*~ShopAholic~*~

Last edited:

adw425

Sometimes I will do rinse, but daily I spritz (or soak) my hair with rosemary, nettle, sage, burdock tea and distilled water after my conditioner only washes. It is my leave-in. I use Alvita tea. I steep two tea bags of each once a week and put into a spray bottle. I discard what is left every five-seven days and make up a new batch.

ETA: Oh yeah, I added green tea to it last week.

Last edited:

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL
I started doing them last month after shampooing/conditioner washing. I don't make it too strong though. I simmer two tablespoons of dried rosemary in two cups of water for ten minutes in a covered saucepan. I let it cool a while before straining it. Then I pour it into a squirt bottle, and I squirt it all over my scalp and hair after washing. It feels so refreshing on my scalp.

I only leave it on my hair for about five minutes before rinsing it out. I might leave it in longer next time (some recipes say 30 min). I refrigerate what's left if I don't use it all.

I saw on another site that some people leave the rosemary rinse in their hair without rinsing it. I'm not sure if I'll try that. I'm not brave enough to try the tea. How does it taste?

Last edited:

jtsupanova

I used to do the rinses with the herbs but its just to much work. So now i just add rosemary e.o to my shampoo and leave in, same effect.