Running into issues *vent*

Royalq

So ive thought that I finally found a way to care for my hair with ease. I simple cowash, apply my products, big twists simply to dry and stretch the hair, and put in a bun or puff. Ive been on my hair journey for 2 years (todays my anniversary!). So i was in box braids for a year, then mini braids with my hair for about a month and a half. Took those out at the end of May. so june ive been doing puffs and just last week tried a bun, and now for the first time since i started my journey im seeing split ends:nono: . they aren't regular splits either they are like mid-shaft splits but only a 1-1.5 inch from the ends. I didnt notice it until i tried doing a bun. Once i did it with a scrunchie band, it felt like it could be damaging so i took it out after 2-3 days. Then i did a bun with my satin ribbon (i use this satin ribbon for my puffs) and rolled and pinned my ends because my hair isnt very long. Today im checking my ends and i see a bunch of ssk's (always had) and splits.

Im not sure what to do with my hair now. I cowash a few times a week so i cant do twists, and twists dont do well with me they make my hair tangle. Twists outs and braids outs are laughable in this Florida humidity, they would revert in to a shrunken fro. i cant pinpoint if its the puff or the bun thats doing it.I really have no other way to do a bun because my hair is only shoulder length. And my hair cant do a wash and go. Sigh.....what style can i put it in for easy cowashing and no tangles???

Better question, why cant this damn ***** just shut up and cooperate with me??? This trick always causing me issues:wallbash: i dont want to live in braids and mini braids:cry2:

What about doing braids instead of twists and cowashing in those? How do you feel about bantu knot outs? You can use that to stretch your length and wear a cute style.

How are you doing your puffs and buns? Are you using elastics in any way? I learned the hard way that those were my downfall. Whether they were ouch less, no-metal or even the silicone ones (I still use these RARELY), any styling using elastics caused my hair to break and split. Have you tried styling with flat twists? I just discovered them and I really like what I can do with them, and they don't seem to be as tangling with my hair as regular twists. And I feel you on the Florida weather; these last couple of weeks have been no joke! I don't know how people lived here before AC (I imagine miserably!)

i wash my hair in twisted sections. I really mean i wanta style thats not to complex so i can easily take it down to cowash. Ive tried bantu knots, it was okay for me.

I now use a satin ribbon for my puffs and buns. You think maybe that one time i used the elastic bands they already caused damage?

I can cosign on the Florida weather..today was one of the worst days :( almost 100 degrees!!!

Are you doing the twists on sopping wet hair? If so this may be damaging because you are manipulating the hair and stretching it quite a bit while wet. Try doing twists on damp-dry hair if you want to go that route.
Here's some awesome info about mid-shaft splits on natural hair:

http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2012/07/mid-shaft-splits-cause-and-prevention.html

Are you brushing the hair after taking out the twists?

Sorry about your issues. I can't think of anything to say. I just hope you resolve the issues soon, and continue to grow. Hopefully more experienced ladies will come in and help.

Do you like any oils? Coconut oil is my hair's BFF, and was a real game changer for me. Even with cowashing it's possible your splits can be partially due to hygral fatigue. Have you tried prepooing with coconut oil or oil rinsing with coconut oil? You could prepoo &/or oil rinse with any oil you like.
My experience was that my hair strength and manageability increased, and tangles were all but eliminated. SSKs are rare and splits rarer.
If you find/found those things don't work for you, you could always do the roll/tuck/pin as a style. There's ease of putting it up/taking it down, it can be a low manipulation &/or a protective style, and you have flexibility and versatility with the styles. Bobby pins are another of my hair's BFFs.
And don't forget to cut those splits whenever you see them! I feel like people are pretty evenly split on whether or not to cut SSKs. I say cut those too, but they make my surrounding strands tangle unnecessarily, which leads to splits/breakage. You'll have to decide if the SSKs are more trouble than they're worth.
Hope this helps! :)

Do you like any oils? Coconut oil is my hair's BFF, and was a real game changer for me. Even with cowashing it's possible your splits can be partially due to hygral fatigue. Have you tried prepooing with coconut oil or oil rinsing with coconut oil? You could prepoo &/or oil rinse with any oil you like.
My experience was that my hair strength and manageability increased, and tangles were all but eliminated. SSKs are rare and splits rarer.
If you find/found those things don't work for you, you could always do the roll/tuck/pin as a style. There's ease of putting it up/taking it down, it can be a low manipulation &/or a protective style, and you have flexibility and versatility with the styles. Bobby pins are another of my hair's BFFs.
And don't forget to cut those splits whenever you see them! I feel like people are pretty evenly split on whether or not to cut SSKs. I say cut those too, but they make my surrounding strands tangle unnecessarily, which leads to splits/breakage. You'll have to decide if the SSKs are more trouble than they're worth.
Hope this helps! :)

Cosigning on the coconut oil prepoo. My hair hated it as a sealant so I stopped using it. A few months ago I decided to get rid of my huge jar of it by prepping overnight with it. It really strengthens my ends and makes my hair more resilient to breakage. I manipulate my hair daily and I can really feel the difference.
And when I did the komaza care analysis they recommend to soak your ends in coconut oil after a trim to keep them strong and prevent split ends.

Last edited:
I think you are right about the ponytail holder. Other culprits (and general bunning pitfalls) might be:

- Buns where your ends are touching/looped into the ponytail holder. It sounds like that contributed here since the damage is on the ends. Use bun styles where the ends are gently tucked under and away.

- Bobby pins. I saw them compared to "little knives that rub against your hair, breaking it off". Pretty much. I use good quality hair pins instead (the ones that the sides don't touch).

- Putting your bun in the same place every time. This puts repeated strain on the same hairs.

- Too-tight buns. Any area that's too tight will put pressure on the hair.

- Holding hair from the ends while twisting hair around for a bun (or bantu)

- Tangle teaser, Denman brush, any brush, non seamless combs, (especially on fine hair). These have been the cause of midshaft splits for me in the past. You didn't mention these, but just in case they also came into play.

If you have fine hair (kind of looks like you might?), check out the fine hair thread as well.

faithVA , my hair love protein, i use Aphogee 2 minute once a week or as needed.

kxlot79 and ronie my hair totally hates coconut oil as a sealant. I tried it for the chicoro prepoo and it worked out well. So should i put a generous amount on dry hair or should i wet it first?

myronnie my hair is wet with the 8 twisted sections as i cowash, after that i dont touch it until it dries. I just recently started using a brush to brush back the front of my hair

You can use coconut oil on dry, damp, &/or wet hair. It depends on what your hair likes.
I enjoy it every way possible. I even like to eat it (adds a nice extra something in baked goodies and scrambled eggs).
Sometimes, (if I'm lazy) I spritz it on dry hair, put on a processing cap and go to sleep for an overnight prepoo. Often, I will spritz my hair with a little leave-in or water then the coconut oil and processing cap. I feel like I get better penetration on damp hair though.
For oil rinsing, I usually shampoo, rinse with water, rinse with coconut oil, clip my hair up while I shower, take a bit of conditioner to work the coconut oil out, then rinse it all out in cool water. I get great results every time.
I think using a bit of conditioner at the end before the final rinse helps to seal all that goodness in and simultaneously eliminate any extra oiliness which might not be desirable.
Did your hair dislike coconut oil in leave-in products too? I've found leave-in light but creamy products based in shea work similarly.

Royalq dont wet it. If the ends are splitting, they are weak. You don't want to keep them in a damp state for a long period of time. Soak your DRY hair in evco, put on a shower cap and let it stay for at least 8 hours. I do mines for 12-14. Then wash your hair. Make sure your ends are well soaked.
If you do trim, apply it as you trim, lightly twist, and shower cap for a few hours. You don't have to wash. Your hair will be soft and manageable, so you can go ahead and do what you please.
Your ends will love you for that.

You can use coconut oil on dry, damp, &/or wet hair. It depends on what your hair likes.
I enjoy it every way possible. I even like to eat it (adds a nice extra something in baked goodies and scrambled eggs).
Sometimes, (if I'm lazy) I spritz it on dry hair, put on a processing cap and go to sleep for an overnight prepoo. Often, I will spritz my hair with a little leave-in or water then the coconut oil and processing cap. I feel like I get better penetration on damp hair though.
For oil rinsing, I usually shampoo, rinse with water, rinse with coconut oil, clip my hair up while I shower, take a bit of conditioner to work the coconut oil out, then rinse it all out in cool water. I get great results every time.
I think using a bit of conditioner at the end before the final rinse helps to seal all that goodness in and simultaneously eliminate any extra oiliness which might not be desirable.
Did your hair dislike coconut oil in leave-in products too? I've found leave-in light but creamy products based in shea work similarly.
Do you DC before or after. I have always wanted to try oil rinsing but i DC on washed wet hair, and i always felt that the oil will prevent the DC from doing its job. What has been your experience?
Sorry for going off topic. Please PM so i don't hijack the OP's thread.

Back