Scalp burning/tingling/itching

Blu217

For months, my scalp has been tingling and itching in some thinning trouble spots I developed a few months ago from stress. I know this is either signaling more loss, or it's signaling some fresh growth. I've heard men talk about how their scalp itched as they went bald... :perplexed

Well, last week I got my first decent relaxer in ages (was trying stretching and it tore my hair UP). I know the product was well-rinsed, but since getting the relaxer again I've noticed dandruff that I normally don't have (might be from MTG, tho, cause sulphur and/or oils seems to do that to me). I've also been BURNING up there--not just tingling, but like mad crazy itchy stinging almost! Whichever side I lie on, it's like the nerves start going berserk and I start scratching. Seems to subside after a while, but this is allll new to me.

My stylist told me it was "nerves," but that seems kinda vague. I am taking Freeda Biotin 10mg, which I hear can make your skin crawl, but I'm about 3 weeks in now. I use MTG from time to time, but only sparingly. My scalp is itching as I'm typing; it's been itchy since it started thinning, but now this stinging in bed thing... Anyone else experienced anything like this?

sareca

My scalp has started itching too, yesterday actually. Not burning just itching.

I was thinking it could be:
  1. The 1,000mg/day of biotin I've been taking for the last 3 weeks have kicked in
  2. It's growing a bit faster because it's getting warmer. My hair loves summer/spring time.
  3. A reaction to the SLS in Jane Carter's shampoo. I ran out of Phyto Nectar and decided to use hers.
I co-washed yesterday but it is still itching. I'm very interested to see what "the girls" say...

Editted to say: I don't like the idea of a stylist diagnosing a medical/psychological condition.

Last edited:

HoneyDew

I have noticed this problem, as well. I think it is because my hair has been growing at a super fast rate over the past few weeks. It seems the day of and even after I shampoo it is okay, but then itching starts in certain places. It is in those same spots that show new growth the soonest.

It is to the point where I am seeing new growth within days, so that is the only reason I can see why I am getting itching and tingling - no burning, though. Also, mine is not too bad that I can't stand it.

growingbrown

My hair has been itching really bad:( I am in braid and keep my scape oiled. What could it be? Is it really growth...

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Maybe all that burning, tingling, and itching is coming from a combination of things. Maybe you are using too much stuff on your hair which may have this affect on your scalp. New growth shouldn't cause burning. The only thing that would cause burning is the relaxers or if you are using some product in your hair that has harsh ingredients. Try laying off some of those products to see what happens. And if you want to continue relaxing your hair, try stretching it for 3-4 months or more. HTH!

Lucia

I get the itchies when I braid my hair, I just braided 2 weeks ago and it's been itching on and off-but that's good cause that ususaly means fast hair growth for me.

Blu217

Hey Poohbear - I don't put much on my hair; Nioxin poo and con, a detangler and a setting lotion for my rollerset. A light fingerswipe of MTG every few days just where it's thinning, and that's it. My hair is fine and I can't put anything heavy on it at all. Even the MTG is pushing it, because it's an oil.

I tried stretching for a couple of months to give my scalp a rest and managed to break off my hair pretty badly for the first time in about 20 years even tho I was very careful--never again! Pretty sure this is something else...

Let's hope we're just growing, ladies!

SparklingFlame

It might be the MTG. How long have you been using it? Did you notice burning after you started using it? I know it burned the hell outta the back of my neck when the oil would drip down. The itching prob. means its growing. This is just a thought. I hope the burning goes away though!!!

SohoHair

I think it might be the Biotin. I went to the Freeda store about 3 weeks ago to buy Biotin and I marched up to the counter with my bottle of 10mg all ready to pay and go. The saleslady asked if I was taking it for my hair and when I said yes, she promptly put away the 10mg bottle and handed me a 2.5, she said that 10mg is usually for other purposes and that 2.5 is more than enough, esp. if you're taking a multi-vitamin with B-complex in it already. She said that while taking the 10mg probably wouldn't do any damage it might make me start itchin' and scratchin' like a crackhead.:lachen: I took her advice and bought 2 bottles of the 2.5mg, there was no way I was going to walk around town looking like Tyrone Biggums!!:lol: Since I've been taking the Biotin I've definitely had the itchies but nothing to crazy, it's just a strange sensation when your perfectly clean scalp starts itchin' out of the blue...:spinning:

baglady215

SohoHair said:
She said that while taking the 10mg probably wouldn't do any damage it might make me start itchin' and scratchin' like a crackhead.:lachen: I took her advice and bought 2 bottles of the 2.5mg, there was no way I was going to walk around town looking like Tyrone Biggums!!:lol:

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Blu217

Innnnteresting! Did she say what other purposes it might be for? I had thought of taking it every other day, but then the breakouts subsided. I hope the higher dosage does at least produce a result beyond just itchies!

I hadn't thought of the MTG making me burn, but I kinda spot-treat with it at the moment and the burning isn't exactly where I'm applying. I'll pay more attention tho, cause I'm not REAL sure *scalp scratch.*

SohoHair

She didn't say what it was for, and to be honest i was a wee bit scared to ask, but I do believe that there are ladies on here who take that dosage, I'm not sure if they take it everyday or every other, but i faintly remember searching posts on Biotin and being blown away by how high some of the doses that people are taking! All I know is that I am not cute in the least when I"m scratching my head likea crazy person. I mean I know it's clean, but the handsome young man next to me on the train while I rake my fingers across my scalp probably isn't aware of that fact.:eek:

Ladyhenri

BUMP BUMP..
I've been having extreme burn/itchies and have had to lay off MTG as well.
Was about to start a new thread and saw this old one...
Please respond if you have any suggestions:(