Scalp issues

KimPossibli

Supergirl
Hey Ladies

I am a 4b relaxed head.

I am having mad issue with my scalp.

I would wash my hair on Sat and then by Monday my scalp will be dusty...

Previously I wasn't putting anythng on my scalp.

Yesterday I decided to get and use IC tea tree oil scalp serum...

Has anyone had any success with that product?

What are you using for problematic scalps?

SherylsTresses

I usually do a prepoo with 100% pure oils. Here is my mixture...

Irritated Scalp Regimen:
1/2 cup moisturizing conditioner
One tablespoon each.....
EVOO (treatment for damaged, dry hair, superior penetrating power)
Tea tree oil (antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal)
Peppermint oil (promotes hair growth)
Sleep in overnight

I no longer have scalp issues but I continue to follow this regi maybe once a month. Otherwise, I don't put anything directly on my scalp. Works wonders for me! :yep:

Last edited:

Allandra

Hey Ladies

I am a 4b relaxed head.

Years ago (like when I first joined online hair forums in 1999), I used to have scalp issues. I thought it was dandruff, but low and behold, I had terrible product build up (caked up like I don't know what).

I've never used IC Tea Tree Scalp Serum. I used acv rinses to get my scalp in check. Once it got in check, I stopped doing the acv rinses (haven't done one in years). I also make sure I rinse my scalp and hair a very long time when I shampooing or conditioning to keep my scalp happy.

I know some folks don't like this, but my very lovely hair dresser scraped my scalp (yes, it was that gunky) back then too. I was so happy when my scalp got back to normal. It was something awful to have my hair looking nice and my scalp looking icky.

SherylsTresses

Allandra,

I truly understand what you're talking about. I would have the cutest hair styles with flakes all over my head. :blush: I was soooo embarrassed but it was always too early in the week for wash day. My scalp problems were due to frequent retouches every six weeks. I had everyone scratching my scalp for me. :lachen:

scarcity21

Years ago (like when I first joined online hair forums in 1999), I used to have scalp issues. I thought it was dandruff, but low and behold, I had terrible product build up (caked up like I don't know what).

I've never used IC Tea Tree Scalp Serum. I used acv rinses to get my scalp in check. Once it got in check, I stopped doing the acv rinses (haven't done one in years). I also make sure I rinse my scalp and hair a very long time when I shampooing or conditioning to keep my scalp happy.

I know some folks don't like this, but my very lovely hair dresser scraped my scalp (yes, it was that gunky) back then too. I was so happy when my scalp got back to normal. It was something awful to have my hair looking nice and my scalp looking icky.

hi Allandra do u have a recipe and how often can u safely do this? where in the DC, wash, condish cycle would u incorporate this? TIA

-PYT

Hey Itgirl...

I used to have THE WORST dandruff ever! It may have been due to the fact that i was oiling my scalp with those mineral-oil laden greases. Everytime I got a touch up it got worse too, so I suppose the chemicals dry out our scalp. I havent seen a flake since I:

1)stopped oiling my scalp
2)stopped getting relaxers
and
3) started co-washing!

Lol not trying to make you transition, but maybe you can make a self-diagnosis through my testimony :yep:

chebaby

my scalp is starting to get flakes. i put coconut oil on it and it goes away but i know the problem is still there so miss T suggested i get tea trea or peppermint oil or conditioner. i trust her judgement so i wll get the giovanni brand shampoo and condititoner tomorrow.

ceecy29

I had the same problem when I was relaxed (4b). I noticed it stopped once I was no longer using shampoos that had SLS. I mostly use baking soda or Dr. bronners. Try that and see how it works for you.

kooskoos

I had the same problem. Like the other ladies said, tea tree and peppermint EO work wonders. I also stopped using products with mineral oil, and I haven't had a flake in almost a year!

mj11051

My scalp used to itch like heck, then I stopped using sls shampoos and I use ACV 2 per month to keep the build up to a minimum.

JollyGal

I tend to suffer from terrible flakes during the winter months. I find using ACV instead of shampoo helps a lot. I'm currently eradicating Cream of nature navy blue label from my regimen. That is what is causing the flakes all the other products I use are natural.

Try 20% acv (with the mother- not the pretty clear acv stuff) mixed with 80% water. I do this at the beginning of my wash routine.

Replacement shampoo will be moisturising african black soap

All the best.

Barbie83

it looks as if ACV rinsing works for most people. I think I will start incorporating this into my routine, along with overnight scalp oil treatment before wash days.

how often can i do an acv rinse? Is once a week too often (thats how often i use shampoo)? And do I do the acv rinse, then shampoo?

Allandra

hi Allandra do u have a recipe and how often can u safely do this? where in the DC, wash, condish cycle would u incorporate this? TIA
I mixed acv and water. I always used my quart container (mixing 28 ounces of water and 2 ounces of acv). The order I did this was: shampoo, acv rinse and condition (because I wanted the full benefit of my conditioner). I did not do the acv rinses the same day as the scalp scraping. HTH.

beana

it looks as if ACV rinsing works for most people. I think I will start incorporating this into my routine, along with overnight scalp oil treatment before wash days.

how often can i do an acv rinse? Is once a week too often (thats how often i use shampoo)? And do I do the acv rinse, then shampoo?

I do mine once a week. After i rinse out the shampoo, i rinse again and apply conditioner.

tressajalen

My scalp is terrible as well. I have been using aveda scalp benefits shampoo which keep my scalp clear for 1 week. I will try the acv rinse this week to see if it works better. I have heard that the tea tree oil works wonders too.

BrooklynSouth

No scalp problems at all. I attribute this to my usage of IC Aloe Moisturizer leave-in and my wonderful Alba Botanica leave-in. I would say frequent conditioner poos but I've been unable to do a good hair washing in three days since a bath faucet diverter leak which sends water cascading down to a kitchen light fixture{!!!!} due to be corrected tomorrow-plumber and electrician scheduled.

Ballerina_Bun

ORS Uplifting Shampoo. I just had a brief scalp issue. I used that and once again, back to normal.

If you are having scalp issues after relaxing, get “Healthy Hair in A Bottle” by Carolyn Gray if she is still selling it. If not, make your own with similar ingredients and add tea tree oil and argan oil.

When I was in high school and would have a momentary scalp issue, I would warm up water, soak a teabag in the water and then squeeze it on my scalp. Problem gone!

Diva_Esq

Hey Ladies

I am a 4b relaxed head.

Not trying to convert you or anything, but for me, it was the relaxer!!!! I used to have to do special tingly poo, con & serums and oil my scalp. I was a faithful weekly beauty salon customer and was the 1st in the chair early on Saturday morning. Sometimes after sitting under the dryer and her flat ironing me, I'd see flakes on the cape! The relaxer was literally eating my scalp. I haven't had a relaxer since May (I'm transitioning to natural), and I haven't seen a flake since July. I don't use dandruff poos, cons or serums anymore. No need.

Nonie

I don't believe anyone touched on diet but adding essential fatty acids to your supplement intake may help. Sometimes knowing the cause of the issues gives you a better idea on what to use. Excessive sebum, less than enough sebum, fungus, eczema, poor circulation...could all lead to scalp issues. So a visit to a dermatologist isn't a bad idea, even if in the end you opt for natural remedies.

Bump because I forgot about this thread and want to say thanks :)

Did you try any of the suggestions? Update?

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I use to have flakes but they are gone now since I'm washing a little more frequent, scalp massaging and using growth serum and massaging that in.

Giselle685

I don't believe anyone touched on diet but adding essential fatty acids to your supplement intake may help. Sometimes knowing the cause of the issues gives you a better idea on what to use. Excessive sebum, less than enough sebum, fungus, eczema, poor circulation...could all lead to scalp issues. So a visit to a dermatologist isn't a bad idea, even if in the end you opt for natural remedies.

Did you try any of the suggestions? Update?

omg im gonna cry! I have poor circulation ANND eczema!!

Nonie

omg im gonna cry! I have poor circulation ANND eczema!!

Exercise and scalp massage can help with the circulation. Extra Virgin Coconut Oil has helped people with eczema on their body and I believe it can help the scalp. There was once a thread on scalp eczema with remedies that helped folks.

BTW if you have eczema on other parts of your body doesn't mean you will get it on your scalp so don't cry if that's your worry. If you already have it, then don't cry either coz there are remedies. I used to have eczema on my eyelids but a diet change solved that problem. I believe it's worked for others too. I think I shared my story in that thread. Let me find it.

ETA: Link to previous discussion: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=451420

Last edited:

KimPossibli

Supergirl
I found that the ACV rince worked. The tea tree oil relieved itchng but didnt stop flakes.

I wash my hair every week now and I havent had to do a rinse in some time. If I find my scalp is flakey quicker than I would like I use the rinse. However those times have been coming fewer and fewer.

Again thanks ladies