Scalp sores/abrasions on a natural head?

ellebelle88

Lately I have been noticing that I have a few sores and abrasions on my scalp. Some of them have actually scabbed over so when I scratch or rub my hair, I can feel the scabs. This is really weird to me. I was used to getting these when I had a relaxer but I haven't had a relaxer in almost 2 years. Where are these scabs and abrasions coming from? It's never many. Just like 2 or 3 on my head at any given moment.

Do any other natural heads have these sores?

Duchesse

That happens to me sometime too. Do you wear a lot of bobby pins or sleep with them? I think mine occasionally scratch my head .

NowIAmNappy

Do you have eczema? Occasionally I get a flair up of eczema in my scalp and I scratch to hard and later I get scabs.

HappilyLiberal

Lately I have been noticing that I have a few sores and abrasions on my scalp. Some of them have actually scabbed over so when I scratch or rub my hair, I can feel the scabs. This is really weird to me. I was used to getting these when I had a relaxer but I haven't had a relaxer in almost 2 years. Where are these scabs and abrasions coming from? It's never many. Just like 2 or 3 on my head at any given moment.

Do any other natural heads have these sores?

This happens to me all the time.

Royalq

yeah i noticed that too. havent had a relaxer in 2 years. Sometimes ill rub my scalp and a little scabby would come off on my finger. I dont know whats up with that....

Atdow71

Last year, i started getting scabs when I was loc'd. I thought it was from twisting, but I wasn't twisting m air often. I started washing my hair every week & I haven't had a scab since.

ChristmasCarol

Could be your conditioner, especially if you DC over an extended period. VO5 caused inflammation of my scalp. I no longer co-wash with it and they are gone.

Mz.MoMo5235

You might ne doing what I do.

When washing my hair my scalp is wet and the skin is swollen from water so when I scrub my scalp to get all product and build up off I scratch my scalp with out noticing.

Then hours later when hair and scalp if dry I have scabs and owies.

Iluvsmuhgrass

Could be your conditioner, especially if you DC over an extended period. VO5 caused inflammation of my scalp. I no longer co-wash with it and they are gone.

Yes. This happened to me. I had chemical burns as if I had applied a relaxer. It was so bad that had scabs.... large scabs. I haven't used V05 conditioner since. :nono:

newgrowth15

Are you using heat? Perhaps you could be getting burns from heat or as others have suggested, check the products you are using. Some products have harsh chemicals in them and could be the cause of your scalp burns. Hopefully, you will find the cause sooner than later.

tiffjust2002

I only get them when I scratch in the same spot over and over and then the next time I go to scratch I have a scab. That's when my hair is long over due for a wash and has product buildup and it's dirty and I was being lazy and didn't wash when I needed too.

I also got them when I had braids with fake hair, I think I was allergic to the hair, I got a cheap pack of Black N Gold.

ellebelle88

That happens to me sometime too. Do you wear a lot of bobby pins or sleep with them? I think mine occasionally scratch my head .
Yep, I use bobby pins a lot on occasion. You may have a point...I don't sleep in them however.

Do you have eczema? Occasionally I get a flair up of eczema in my scalp and I scratch to hard and later I get scabs.
Nope.

Are you scratching the same spot a lot? That's the only time I get them.
Not really.

Hmmm! Never thought of that. I swim, so yes I leave deep conditioner in my hair often. I also cowash regularly and usually leave some of that conditioner in as well. sipp100 do you know how/why conditioner causes inflammation of the scalp?

Are you using heat? Perhaps you could be getting burns from heat or as others have suggested, check the products you are using. Some products have harsh chemicals in them and could be the cause of your scalp burns. Hopefully, you will find the cause sooner than later.
Nope, no heat use over here. I haven't used heat or straightened my hair in over 8 months. Shooting for a year.

allaboutme71

This is interesting. I've noticed the same thing with my hair. I've been wearing sew in weaves and noticed within the last few months scabs. I've been wearing sew ins to transition to natural for about two years now and never had a problem with this before. But here lately my scalp has been dryer

Hairness

I'm natural and this happens to me too. I get scabs, swollen scalp and skin irritation. I feel this is causing my hair to fall out and break off.

What specific products (shampoo, conditioner, leave in, pomades, oils, etc.) does everyone do to sooth, heal and reduce the swelling of their scalp? What practices of any type have helped you?

Tia

anartist4u2001

I'm natural and this happens to me too. I get scabs, swollen scalp and skin irritation. I feel this is causing my hair to fall out and break off.

What specific products (shampoo, conditioner, leave in, pomades, oils, etc.) does everyone do to sooth, heal and reduce the swelling of their scalp? What practices of any type have helped you?

Tia

i'm experiencing the same problem as you. i mean the exact same. i hope somebody answers. i had my sister look at my head, and she said that i have scab. like thick scab. she said it's lumpy. it really itches, and i scratch to so much, until my head it sore. i just washed my hair, and it's stopped. child my jant was just dirty i guess LOL. my head still hurts up there, but it's not itching.

APrayer4Hair

How do u style ur hair? Are u rough when u detangle?

I notice when I where puffs for too long my scalp gets sore. No actual scabs though...

cupcakes

That used to happen to me a while ago but when but I switched to using only natural products on my scalp and hair those problems went away.