Scared of salons

spanishteardrops

Always follow your heart
I have always done my own relaxers and had family do my trims. My husband wants me to go to a salon but I am scared they will mess up my hair. Does anyone else have this prob or am I just to paranoid?
confused.gif
He knows how much I hate spending all day washing my hair.

I used to ONLY go to Dominican salons to get my hair done every, single week. I moved and couldn't find anyone else to do my very long, very thick hair. I ended up doing it myself. When I moved to a new area I found a Dominican salon and figured that they were all "created equal," but she MESSED my hair up.
laugh.gif

I now go back to NYC for my touch-ups, but I've finally mastered my roller sets. It takes me a lot longer, but it's worth it for me. My dh now sees why I'm paranoid about who touches my hair.

Funny thing you should mention this now. Last night I was on my way to buy groceries and noticed a Dom salon, which opened for business last year. There were hardly any patrons there, but lately the place is packed. I was actually considering giving it a try, but my paranoia kicked in.

you never know until you try. you could end up finding a great stylist. i think thats the best way to find a good stylist, through trial and error. and also word of mouth

yea, i'm also scared of salons. With all of the law suits against salons on court shows, and ladies telling their horrific stories on this site (including myslef) about hairdressers damaging their hair, there is no choice but to be skeptical these days! you have to be VERY careful. NOT ALL hairdressers KNOW what their doing.

My suggestion is to research about the salon, watch them first, and ask questions b4 trusting them w/ your hair. good luck!

The first time you go to a salon, NEVER get a chemical treatment. Just let them wash/rollerset/whatever you so you can evaluate their service and expertise. You could also show up a little early so you can watch your stylist work with someone else's head (and make up an excuse to leave if you don't like what you see
grin.gif
).

Myself, I totally know how you feel. I just realized how close I am to my first goal (2" from bra strap), and that was just after blowdrying. I am DYING to get it professionally pressed to see how much closer I really am, BUT I'm also paranoid about going even though the Dominican lady I was planning on going to did my hair about a year ago. And another problem is that my *real* stylist got a new assistant who I heard is not so gentle with natural hair (his old assistant was PERFECT), so if I go there I need to be ready for battle (with my K Cutter in hand
wink.gif
), and frankly I don't feel like all the drama. We'll see.
scratchchin.gif

I'm with Umsumayyah, "Be very afraid". I have concluded that even being very, very careful you can still wind up with jacked hair. I watched my stylist do others and listens to her expound on her beliefs about hair care and she still jacked my hair.

I went to stylist that a friend, who's hair always looked good, recommended. Still jacked my hair.

Now, I don't trust ANYBODY!!!!

With my experiences last year, I am quite afraid of going to a salon. Right now, I am thinking I may only go to get a trim...and that's after I've flatironed it myself. I just do not trust anyone else with washing/conditioning/detangling my hair.

That is why I haven't been to a salon since Jan 2003, when I had the big chop. I don't feel like anyone will take the time with it that I do. I also think that they will try to push trims on me, that I don't need or want.

Before finding this board I use to go to my stylist every week and she use to touch my hair up every 5 wks. I now stretch out my relaxer from 8-11 wks and only go to her for my touch ups. I am very vocal about her not use the combs with the small teeth on my hair. I ask her not to comb my hair really rough and to be gentle with the detangling and I also bring my on leave in since she does not use one. In other words I tell her what to do and what not to do with my hair. Since I have know her for over 20 yrs she listens. I have also gone to other stylists and when they don't listen to me I don't go back. I tell them right off the bat that I am in to healthy hair care.

You're not paranoid. My stylist does hair in her home, and I haven't been to a salon in 10 years. I'm moving soon...and DREAD having to look for a salon and a new stylist.

That's why I love this forum so much...I'm trying my best to learn how to do things on my own...so I don't have to rely on the salons. Hopefully...I can learn to do everything at home.
smile.gif

I havent been to the hairdressers since 2000 and that was just for a tiny trim.
Just the thought of sitting in the chair feeling all vulnerable breaks me out in hives
smile.gif

Back