I'm scared...

blasianbeauty

I\'m scared...

Of dominican blowouts. I went to the salon yesterday with the plan to get one done. After I opened the door and seen all that smoke, I changed my mind. I watched for a few minutes to watch the process, but chickened out. Has anyone else felt this way? I'm just scared to lose a lot of hair to those very hot blow dryers...

PretteePlease

#fakeworkouts
Re: I\'m scared...

the thought of getting a round brush ripped through my hair scares me the round brush looks evil............ok running from all of those that love DB's

MonaLisa

I feel you blasianbeauty. I just got my wash and set yesterday at my Dominican spot...and my eyes just get glazed looking at the process. The most I get are my roots blown out...and I can feel a slight tear.

I think the only time I ever got the full blow out was this past June because I was going to New Orleans...and I could feel the tear ducts about to go into effect...but I made it through. My stylist is very careful with me...that's why I go to her.

Just a wash,set and wrap for me please.

Allandra

You don't have to get a blow out when you go to a Dominican salon. After your roller set, you could just asked to get it wrapped and go back under the dryer for a few minutes (that should give you some nice body and bounce). I love getting Dominican blow outs (ROOTS ONLY) when I have a lot of new growth. When I go in with a few months new growth, I leave looking like I've had a relaxer touch-up. You could always be like me and take your own round brush. /images/graemlins/rofl.gif YES I DO take my own. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

J

JenniferMD

LOL!!! Allandra said it best but I just wanted to let you know how funny I think this thread is! I stay getting Dominican blow outs and thought the thought of being scared cracks me up /images/graemlins/lachen70.gif

Ayeshia

I dont think I could do it either. Id rather do the rollerset and sit under the dryer. I wonder would that work well on natural hair? Prolly not /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

KAddy

Well I just went yesterday and got a blow out. The only thing I can say I am scared of is...the heat.
Woooooo, that crap is hot
, but like Allandra I love coming out with the relaxed look. I was cringing the entire time, but it is well worth it to me. Of course I will not be going every week...I couldn't take that.

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Damn girl. Was it that bad? They must have used the blow dryers from hell on you. /images/graemlins/rofl.gif I always, and I mean A L W A Y S insist on not having extreme heat.

blasianbeauty

[ QUOTE ]
You don't have to get a blow out when you go to a Dominican salon. After your roller set, you could just asked to get it wrapped and go back under the dryer for a few minutes (that should give you some nice body and bounce). I love getting Dominican blow outs (ROOTS ONLY) when I have a lot of new growth. When I go in with a few months new growth, I leave looking like I've had a relaxer touch-up. You could always be like me and take your own round brush. /images/graemlins/rofl.gif YES I DO take my own. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh okay, I may just ask them to blow the roots out only. But the crown section of my new growth is sooo fragile! (this is the problem area on my head since it tends to break a lot) I'm 10 wks post relaxer and can bare the new growth. I'll wait it out a few more weeks and then go. BTW, what kind of brush do you take?

P.S.--When they blow the roots out, do they HAVE to use the brush to straighten it out? I haven't used a brush on my hair in years, so I'm scared of those too... /images/graemlins/perplexed.gif

Allandra

I have a round vent brush (it's almost like a round comb in a sense). The only way I've seen them straighten out the new growth is with a brush and a blowdryer. I'm not sure how they could do it without the brush. If the new growth in your crown area tends to be fragile and breaks a lot, you may want to re-think getting a Domincan blow out (roots only). Just my two cents.

blasianbeauty

[ QUOTE ]
I have a round vent brush (it's almost like a round comb in a sense). The only way I've seen them straighten out the new growth is with a brush and a blowdryer. I'm not sure how they could do it without the brush. If the new growth in your crown area tends to be fragile and breaks a lot, you may want to re-think getting a Domincan blow out (roots only). Just my two cents.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you're right...I'll just have to figure something out to straighten the ng for the mean time. Thanks anyhow!

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
P.S.--When they blow the roots out, do they HAVE to use the brush to straighten it out? I haven't used a brush on my hair in years, so I'm scared of those too... /images/graemlins/perplexed.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
What do you normally get done when you go to a Dominican salon (outside of relaxer touch-ups if that's where you get them done)? You say you haven't used a brush on your hair in years. Has a salon used a brush on your hair in the last few years?

blasianbeauty

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What do you normally get done when you go to a Dominican salon (outside of relaxer touch-ups if that's where you get them done)? You say you haven't used a brush on your hair in years. Has a salon used a brush on your hair in the last few years?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never had a DB done. The way that I've been stretching my relaxers is just slapping a scarf on my head overnight to wear in an updo the next morning (this way, my newgrowth doesn't look really poofy). I usually try to wait 12-14 wks, but now I want to see if I can last until Jan 1st. Wish me luck!

J

JenniferMD

[ QUOTE ]
Well I just went yesterday and got a blow out. The only thing I can say I am scared of is...the heat.
, but like Allandra I love coming out with the relaxed look. I was cringing the entire time, but it is well worth it to me. Of course I will not be going every week...I couldn't take that.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/lachen70.gif Stop scaring these people!!! /images/graemlins/lachen70.gif

A_Christian

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Supergirl

With Love & Silk

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/rofl.gif How funny!

Blasian,

I think I'd be scared too if I saw all that smoke over someone's hair. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

lunalight7

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

DITTO to what Allandra said....I also sometimes get a rollerset that he blows out to loosen the curl a bit....much less damaging that blowdrying soaking wet hair IMO. I have'nt had any damage as a result of this technique.

cutebajangirl

I've had some Dominican Stylists blow my roots with a comb. I like it better that way. It doesn't seem to be a common thing though because others I've asked have looked at me like I am nuts.

NYCQT16

Natural Again

I feel you 100%. I got it done once. It looked good, I can't front but I seriously almost cried it was that hot. Since then never again. It could've been the stylist and I should've said something about the heat but I was thinking "when in Rome...". I'll stick to wraps. They are sufficient enough for me.

KAddy

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Damn girl. Was it that bad? They must have used the blow dryers from hell on you. /images/graemlins/rofl.gif I always, and I mean A L W A Y S insist on not having extreme heat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I am going to have to request that the next time. I mean I was in the chair like a little kid getting their first hair cut...almost sliding out the chair onto the floor trying to get away from the heat. it is truly hot to me and I have a high tolerance for pain. Oh yeah, I forgot I got under one of those hi speed hair dryers....I don't know how people take it. I was moved to the regular ones, that thing was hot too. If you went to Luisa's this weekend and saw a chick with the towel covering her ears...It was me, that thing is too hot.

KAddy

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/lachen70.gif Stop scaring these people!!! /images/graemlins/lachen70.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad...I was just trying to warn them.

ya'll it is not that bad...

cutebajangirl

One time I was in a salon in brooklyn, in a very hot dryer. I was so scared because I tried to get out (because it was so hot) but my rollers were too big and I could not get myself out. I started to tear up because I thought my hair was gonna burn off and two other clients rushed over to help me out. I was sooo distressed. On a more pleasant note, it was there that I was introduced to Alter Ego prodcuts.

Lorraine

I feel you but the results are amazing! The movement, body, volume can't be duplicated at home. I dip into Mary's dominican salon in Silver Spring here in Maryland maybe once every couple of months. The heat is intense and my hair isn't strong enough to visit more frequently. Judge for yourself. I hope you are pleased with the results. /images/graemlins/up.gif

KAddy

[ QUOTE ]
One time I was in a salon in brooklyn, in a very hot dryer. I was so scared because I tried to get out (because it was so hot) but my rollers were too big and I could not get myself out. I started to tear up because I thought my hair was gonna burn off and two other clients rushed over to help me out. I was sooo distressed. On a more pleasant note, it was there that I was introduced to Alter Ego prodcuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to laugh but that is funny. I can imagine you trying to get out.

Not to scare anyone, but it is hot heat. However, it is excellent in stretching out the relaxer (my mom thought I got a relaxer).

blasianbeauty

I wonder if I can do this by taking my own blow dryer to try to blow my roots out /images/graemlins/confused.gif Oh well, I guess it wouldn't hurt to try...

What is it about the heat that they use, opposed to the heat from a regular hand dryer?

cutebajangirl

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to laugh but that is funny. I can imagine you trying to get out.

Not to scare anyone, but it is hot heat. However, it is excellent in stretching out the relaxer (my mom thought I got a relaxer).

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, I can laugh now but I got so claustrophobic and like a wave of fear ran over me. As rediculous of a thought it was, I really felt like I gonna burn up. I've come to realize that if I have really big rollers in I prefer to sit under the curved black tinted plastic hoods and not the Pibbs type hoods.

lovelymissyoli

I wasn't afraid of getting a blowout a first but having gotten one a couple of months ago on vacation in Baltimore I know that I will NEVER get one again! That heat is no joke! I don't know how many times I did the "Ssshh...HOT! Ouch, that burns!" /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Carlie

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL! I have to agree w. the cartoon diagram here. When I used to have DB's done back in the day, I remember feeling like I was being burnt alive. /images/graemlins/nono.gif Since, I've switched to the NDH (no direct heat) lifestyle back in Feb., I don't think I could allow myself to go through that again...having my scalp all burnt up.... /images/graemlins/nono.gif It's just not for me...

OT: Lorraine, your hair looks so long and thick in your avatar!!!