Scripture: Good Friday & His Crucifixion

loolalooh

Today is Good Friday. It is a day that commemorates the crucifixion of Jesus Christ.

Our Lord was beaten, flogged, and insulted. Our Lord suffered gravely into His crucifixion. If you haven't seen "The Passion of the Christ", I highly recommend it. It is gory but illustrates a historically accurate depiction of the physical torture and pain Jesus might've experienced before and into His death on the cross. Jesus suffered. "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" He said in the book of Matthew while hanging from the cross.

Let me tell you about what it means to die on the cross. According to the Living Application Study Bible, "when a person hung on a cross, death came by suffocation, but the victim could push against the cross with his legs to hold up his body and keep breathing. Roman soldiers would then break the victim's legs to hasten the death process. With broken legs, he would suffocate immediately." Jesus' legs were not broken; He accepted His mission to die for our sins.

Take this day to meditate and reflect. Take this day to remember His death. It is a solemn day.

John 19 (NIV)
Jesus Sentenced to be Crucified

1Then Pilate took Jesus and had him flogged. 2The soldiers twisted together a crown of thorns and put it on his head. They clothed him in a purple robe 3and went up to him again and again, saying, "Hail, king of the Jews!" And they struck him in the face.
4Once more Pilate came out and said to the Jews, "Look, I am bringing him out to you to let you know that I find no basis for a charge against him." 5When Jesus came out wearing the crown of thorns and the purple robe, Pilate said to them, "Here is the man!"

6As soon as the chief priests and their officials saw him, they shouted, "Crucify! Crucify!"
But Pilate answered, "You take him and crucify him. As for me, I find no basis for a charge against him."

7The Jews insisted, "We have a law, and according to that law he must die, because he claimed to be the Son of God."

8When Pilate heard this, he was even more afraid, 9and he went back inside the palace. "Where do you come from?" he asked Jesus, but Jesus gave him no answer.10"Do you refuse to speak to me?" Pilate said. "Don't you realize I have power either to free you or to crucify you?"

11Jesus answered, "You would have no power over me if it were not given to you from above. Therefore the one who handed me over to you is guilty of a greater sin." (He's referring to Judas.)

12From then on, Pilate tried to set Jesus free, but the Jews kept shouting, "If you let this man go, you are no friend of Caesar. Anyone who claims to be a king opposes Caesar."

13When Pilate heard this, he brought Jesus out and sat down on the judge's seat at a place known as the Stone Pavement (which in Aramaic is Gabbatha). 14It was the day of Preparation of Passover Week, about the sixth hour.
"Here is your king," Pilate said to the Jews.

15But they shouted, "Take him away! Take him away! Crucify him!"
"Shall I crucify your king?" Pilate asked.
"We have no king but Caesar," the chief priests answered.

16Finally Pilate handed him over to them to be crucified.

Matthew 27:44-54 (NIV)
The Death of Jesus

45From the sixth hour until the ninth hour darkness came over all the land. 46About the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eloi, Eloi,[a] lama sabachthani?"—which means, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"

50And when Jesus had cried out again in a loud voice, he gave up his spirit.

51At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook and the rocks split. 52The tombs broke open and the bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life. 53They came out of the tombs, and after Jesus' resurrection they went into the holy city and appeared to many people.

54When the centurion and those with him who were guarding Jesus saw the earthquake and all that had happened, they were terrified, and exclaimed, "Surely he was the Son[c] of God!"

Footnotes:
Matthew 27:46 Some manuscripts Eli, Eli
Matthew 27:46 Psalm 22:1
Matthew 27:54 Or a son

PinkPebbles

Today is Good Friday. It is a day that commemorates the crucifixion of Jesus Christ.

Let me tell you about what it means to die on the cross. According to the Living Application Study Bible, "when a person hung on a cross, death came by suffocation, but the victim could push against the cross with his legs to hold up his body and keep breathing. Roman soldiers would then break the victim's legs to hasten the death process. With broken legs, he would suffocate immediately." Jesus' legs were not broken; He accepted His mission to die for our sins.

Take this day to meditate and reflect. Take this day to remember His death. It is a solemn day.

Thanks for posting.

Yes, I will meditate and reflect...what it means to die on the cross

Galadriel

Lord,

You have purchased for us salvation through your sufferings and death on the Cross. Teach us to carry our own crosses and die with you, so that we may be raised anew. Lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world--have mercy on us, grant us peace.

Amen.