Section of hair that won't curl or coil

Determined22

I'm loving my BC, but I have a section of hair in the very front (think the U-shaped section of hair you'd leave out for a sew-in) that will not curl up or coil like the rest of my hair. It will make a loose coil in a couple of areas, but most of it is straight like I relaxed! :nono: Its looking kinda crazy cause its in the very front of my hair, and it sticks almost straight up. And its not relaxed hair, cause its straight or barely wavy even from the root.

I was thinking maybe I could try adding more product there (conditioner and gel) and either scrunching or shingling it for some curl definition.

Anybody got any tips or ideas on how to handle it?

MummysGirl

A lot of ladies have had this happen and I am sure you will get a lot of input/info soon.

Congrats on your BC! Maybe for now you can hold it down/back with an alice/hair band?

Determined22

A lot of ladies have had this happen and I am sure you will get a lot of input/info soon.

Congrats on your BC! Maybe for now you can hold it down/back with an alice/hair band?

Thank you! I've been using a hairband for the past couple of days since the BC, but I dont want to do it forever.

MochaEyeCandy

Were you flat ironing this u-section of hair to blend into your weave? If so, sounds like it could be heat damage. In which case you'll have to grow it out, then cut it.

Nonie

I second the heat damage guess if that's hair you were pressing when wearing a weave.

And then there's also that weird hair folks call scab hair after you've been relaxing and cut off the relaxed hair, although I understand it'd be weird throughout your hair--unless you have different textures, in which case maybe it'd be different in different parts. Just a guess; I'm clueless on what scab hair looks or feels like.

Determined22

I haven't worn a weave, i was just describing the area where the weird straight hair is.

It could be scab hair. I dont think its heat damaged because I only used heat twice in my 5 month transition.

I'm going to play with it and see if I can get it to do anything other than stand up straight.

Ediese

I have this same problem. I absolutely hate it. The stylist kept trimming because we thought it was relaxer still left. Lo and behold...freaking heat damage in the front and back of my hair. I HATE HEAT!!!!!!

SouthernTease

I have the same problem. It's not heat damage for me that's just the way my hair is. I thought it was left over relaxer too and I kept trimming my hair. I rarely use heat so I know that's not the issue and when I do flat iron this section doesn't need that much heat so I can't really see heat damage being the cause. I blend my hair by using twist outs or braid outs on that section. It is super weird aggravating and annoying but unfortunately the only way to really fix it is just to blend it by setting it. I even thought about doing a sew in on that section for a few months just to see what happens. I think it's just one of those unpredictable things about being natural but I hope I am wrong I hope it grows out curly only time will tell.

Last edited:

MummysGirl

I'm transitioning.... I don't use heat... I used direct heat only once last year and maybe I've sat under the dryer once with a rollerset this year but I have a mix of textures in the front area of my hair - coily/cottony.

It definitely isn't heat damage in my case, some ladies on the board have mentioned that it could just be because the hair in that area is trained to be pulled back (buns, etc) so it's straight. I can honestly say that some of the hairs that are not long enough to be pulled back are not as coily as the rest of my hair... it's a mystery to me.

LuyshuZ

I'm transitioning.... I don't use heat... I used direct heat only once last year and maybe I've sat under the dryer once with a rollerset this year but I have a mix of textures in the front area of my hair - coily/cottony.

It definitely isn't heat damage in my case, some ladies on the board have mentioned that it could just be because the hair in that area is trained to be pulled back (buns, etc) so it's straight. I can honestly say that some of the hairs that are not long enough to be pulled back are not as coily as the rest of my hair... it's a mystery to me.

Same here, I have a small section to the left of my hair's mid line that is wavy and does not have the same curl pattern as the rest of my hair. I have been relaxed over 4 yrs with 1 yr of transitioning and I remember that side always laying down with jam the entire day, while the right side just seemed to use it as a moisturizer by the end of the day and frizz and lift up. I know it isn't heat damage it's just the way that side is, I had to remember this because the growth wasn't as visible to me at the beginning of my transition because the texture difference is a lot less noticable than other sections of my hair.

so1913

Sounds like my hair in the exact same section you are referring too. My hair texture is just looser in that section of my hair and holds more of a wave. There's really not much I can do but as it gets longer it blends in a little better and helps with the "bob" look of my cut.

Lady Kay 21

I have the same problem. its annoying at times, because I could never get my twists to hold in the front but as your hair gets longer it will blend better. Thats justthe beauty of being natural, there are many different textures that may be surprising at first, butt thats just the way it is :) Just dint cut it thinking its stil relaxed hair left over because im sure its not.

HeavenlySkies

Checking in...I have that same patch right in the front that just sticks straight up with a lil wave to it. It's hella irritating.