Puffy hair with no curl or wave pattern

Ms_Twana

What does that mean??? My hair in the very front just poofs. It doesn't curl or wave. I mean I don't see a S or a Z anywhere. Then maybe about an inch behind that, my hair really starts to curl. I have so many textures it's ridiculous. The top of my hair is GORGEOUS!! It curls and shines. It feels silky and smooth. And the curl pattern is looser, so it doesn't shrink as much. The middle of my nape area is the same way. Then the middle of my hair coils really tight, and it doesn't shine as much. But what happened to the front??? I also pull my hair back in headbands often. Could that be why it doesn't curl, coil, or wave?? Well, when I pull it back it waves. But it just poofs if it's just out. HELP!!!!!

Last edited:

CurleeDST

First I would like to say curly, kinky, coily and wavy hair are ALL gorgeous to me. We AAs are known to have multiple textures on one head of hair and the quicker you accept them and learn how to optimize them the better off you will be.

sweetwhispers

I don't know whether this Z thing actually exists, i've never seen z shaped hair. Anyhoo i have no coils in the front of my hair, its that way simply because its the the texture of my hair, no point trying to fight it.

Ms_Twana

First I would like to say curly, kinky, coily and wavy hair are ALL gorgeous to me. We AAs are known to have multiple textures on one head of hair and the quicker you accept them and learn how to optimize them the better off you will be.

I think maybe you misunderstood my question and post. I wasn't saying that I'm not happy with my hair. I wasn't saying that no other parts of my hair were gorgeous other than the top. The point of my post was to find out if the section of my hair that poofs is just a part of my different textures, or if pulling it back with headbands is making it like that. I do love and accept my hair. If I didn't I wouldn't be natural. I was trying to give a picture of the different textures that are mixed in, hoping that could help someone to answer my question. :D

Last edited:

Ms_Twana

sweetwhispers said:
I don't know whether this Z thing actually exists, i've never seen z shaped hair. Anyhoo i have no coils in the front of my hair, its that way simply because its the the texture of my hair, no point trying to fight it.

Okay, see that's what I was trying to figure out. With the hair typing stuff, it either curls/coils like a S, or it waves like a Z. Nothing mentions just poofs!! :lol:

sweetwhispers

I think its just your hair texture mine is like that but if not:
do you wear a headband everyday?Prolonged periods of time?
this is my hair dry with no product- the front

The back- Is springy

ETA- Too damn close up - my Eczema(urgggh need to go back to the docs)

Cheleigh

Ms_Twana said:
What does that mean??? My hair in the very front just poofs. It doesn't curl or wave. I mean I don't see a S or a Z anywhere. Then maybe about an inch behind that, my hair really starts to curl. I have so many textures it's ridiculous. The top of my hair is GORGEOUS!! It curls and shines. It feels silky and smooth. And the curl pattern is looser, so it doesn't shrink as much. The middle of my nape area is the same way. Then the middle of my hair coils really tight, and it doesn't shine as much. But what happened to the front??? I also pull my hair back in headbands often. Could that be why it doesn't curl, coil, or wave?? Well, when I pull it back it waves. But it just poofs if it's just out. HELP!!!!!

I can coax a wave and form curls in the front of my hair, but basically, it's pretty straight. We've had discussions about this, but basically I just call that hair kinky straight. Most of it has some sort of curl or wave pattern to the individual hair strands, but some of it has no curl to the strands at all--just straight hair.

Ms_Twana

Okay, that makes me feel better then. I wasn't sure if I was doing it with the headbands, because I do wear them everyday. I usually take it off when I get home from work.

Ms_Twana

sweetwhispers said:
I think its just your hair texture mine is like that but if not:
do you wear a headband everyday?Prolonged periods of time?
this is my hair dry with no product- the front

The back- Is springy

ETA- Too damn close up - my Eczema(urgggh need to go back to the docs)

See mines will probably look like that when it gets as long as yours (first picture). And my coils look like your second picture. Okay, I'll stop freakin' out now. :lol:

CurleeDST

My apologies for misunderstanding. I have not heard of constant brushing or stretching of natural hair will change the texture. If the front lacks curl or a wave pattern it most likely just grows that way (unless there is damage to the follicles there).

I would just learn how to manage wiry hair. I have the same thing right at the top of my head and I add product there like everywhere else and blend it in.

HTH

Ms_Twana said:
I think maybe you misunderstood my question and post. I wasn't saying that I'm not happy with my hair. I wasn't saying that no other parts of my hair were gorgeous other than the top. The point of my post was to find out if the section of my hair that poofs is just a part of my different textures, or if pulling it back with headbands is making it like that. I do love and accept my hair. If I didn't I wouldn't be natural. I was trying to give a picture of the different textures that are mixed in, hoping that could help someone to answer my question. :D

Ms_Twana

CurleeDST said:
My apologies for misunderstanding. I have not heard of constant brushing or stretching of natural hair will change the texture. If the front lacks curl or a wave pattern it most likely just grows that way (unless there is damage to the follicles there).

I would just learn how to manage wiry hair. I have the same thing right at the top of my head and I add product there like everywhere else and blend it in.

HTH

Apology accepted girl. So, I'll just need to cheat and do a twistout in the front if I wear it without a headband!! :grin:

CurleeDST

Yeah and I think perhaps you will see another difference once your hair grows out even more. I also learned the products that worked when it was short (like it is now) did not work as well once I got decent length.

Ms_Twana

CurleeDST said:
Yeah and I think perhaps you will see another difference once your hair grows out even more. I also learned the products that worked when it was short (like it is now) did not work as well once I got decent length.

Aw dang. Don't tell me that!! :lol:

BrownSkin2

I've been natural a year and a half, my hair just waves in the front like a S wave, and I kept cutting the front because I thought there was perm still in, as the rest is a coily, tight pattern. I found out that is just the way my hair grew...:ohwell:

Ms_Twana

bravenewgirl87 said:
When someone gives you the answer to this let me know bc i am having the SAME ISSUE!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:uuuuuuuurgggggghhhh!

They have answered, basically saying that's part of the different textures you may have on your head. I was just afraid that it was something else like damage or something.

And girl, that man in your siggy is FINE!!!!!!!!

tffy2004

When you put your headband on do you slick the front part of your hair back with a brush on a regular basis? I use to do this consistantly and noticed a change in my hair at the front. Now I rarely do it. When I do wear a headband I don't brush my hair back at all I just slide the headband back and let it do what it do.

Ms_Twana

tffy2004 said:
When you put your headband on do you slick the front part of your hair back with a brush on a regular basis? I use to do this consistantly and noticed a change in my hair at the front. Now I rarely do it. When I do wear a headband I don't brush my hair back at all I just slide the headband back and let it do what it do.

Yup, I brush it with a 100% boar brush everytime.

And that Bohemian routine is really defining my coils girl. Thanks!!!

tffy2004

Ms_Twana said:

Just a suggestion but l:look:ay off the brush for a while:look:!!!!! I am glad you like the routine, its great for the naturals who are rockin the TWA and don't really have time to do anything to their hair.

tffy2004

Ms_Twana said:

Just a suggestion but l:look:ay off the brush for a while:look:!!!!! I am glad you like the routine, its great for the naturals who are rockin the TWA and don't really have time to do anything to their hair.

bravenewgirl87

Ms_Twana said:

What is that? Someone needs to let me know PRONTO! And how do you get the kink and coils to form... is that what MJ BUTTERCREME OR CURLY PUDDING is for?:confused::perplexed

tffy2004

bravenewgirl87 said:

What is that? Someone needs to let me know PRONTO! And how do you get the kink and coils to form... is that what MJ BUTTERCREME OR CURLY PUDDING is for?:confused::perplexed

Bohemian Routine
1. Shampoo (if it's a shampoo day go to #2 after you shampoo) or Co-Wash (if it's a co-wash day go straight to #3)
2. Condition
3. Detangle while conditioner is in hair and leave in while you shower/wash yourself off.
4. Rinse
5. Condition again with your favorite conditioner.
~This step and step 6 will most likely determine whether or not you get the definition you are hoping for.
6. Light Rinse, leaving a bit of the conditioners behind
7. Once out of the shower, scrunch hair with a towel if you like to get excess moisture out - as if you are scrunching the product in. You can also let it drip dry if you like. At this point I am done with my hair and don't do anything else with it. If you decide you want to add a product to your hair make sure you don't use a lot or else you may loose your curls in the process of applying the product. As for me, I won't be adding any product or oil or anything to my hair. I will be doing this routine to see if it works for me and if I like it!!

~~~~Steps 5-7 are IMPORTANT~~~~
The key to getting your coils to pop is to use a conditioner that makes your hair coil up. For me its ORS Replenishing Pak and Garnier Fructis Curl and shine. Remember when you get to step 6 don't rinse all of the conditioner out, you want to leave some behind. and let your hair drip dry or scrunch with a towel DO NOT COMB OR BRUSH. If you have to comb or brush do that when you have the conditioner in your hair for the co-wash. Once you do your final rinse it's only your fingers if that. I personally don't recommend you use a comb or brush after you get out of the shower, cause it will just take the coils out.

Ms_Twana

There was thread on naturallycurly.com that mentioned the no product routine, which was very similar. I thought about starting a challenge with this routine. But, I think I'm challenged out. I haven't followed through completely with one yet. :lol:

glamazon386

Ms Twana - it's probably just that section. The front of my hair is a little bit straighter too.

OT - What's the Bohemian Routine?

ETA: Nevermind I just saw tffy's post. Thanks... This actuallys sounds like what I do when I wash and go. But sometimes I add a leave in condish after I wash all the rinse out condish out. And sometimes I apply Fantasia gel afterwards. Oh yeah I don't detangle.

Last edited: