See thats why I only talk to LHCF about hair......

Re: See thats why I only talk to LHCF about hair..

Yes Katie, you're right when your Mom sees your hair past bra strap, you'll be the biggest influence for her! That will be great! Oh and Perfect Peace I TOTALLY agree!!! We are an amazing people! I've often said that if I was white or anything else, I'd probably still have a close bunch of AA sistah-friends and probably a AA boyfriend, and be involved in AA things and causes, and raise my multiracial AA kids to be proud of their AA heritage as well as whatever mine was. I was totally born the right thing for me! (By the way, when I say AA, I mean that to include Multiracial AA's as well. Heck we all are here in the USA.)
Oh and yes, you're right, it's the Beta's that are better than the Alpha's, but both are great for our skin! Oh and Perfect Peace, you couldn't have said it better about how wonderfully we age!! That is REALLY a blessing........like the old saying goes "Black don't crack!"

OH and yes, I meant when the enslaved Africans came here they didn't have any of their styling tools with them. But yes, Cleopatra and many other ancient Nubians used many advanced hair and beauty products as well as cosmetics too. They were the first to encircle their eyes with kohl - making eyeliner and using the juice from berries to stain their lips - lipstick! If you go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC you'll see the Temple of Dendur and see how those ancient Egyptians were microbraids! Nothing we're doing today is new! It's really interesting!

I hear you ladies!!!(sorry gotta vent)...I go to work everyday and get the same comments..."Do you have a weave?", "Your hair just grows fast..."(I cut it down to 2 " last May), "You have a "good GRADE" of hair though"...While I was telling ONE sista, who was genuinely interested in haircare, about the baggie technique for holding in moisture, 3 other sistas jump in and say, "What the heck is that supposed to do?!?", "You can't wash your hair that much!","I don't think that will work" etc, etc...I wear my hair in its natural state 100% of the time and I get these comments DAILY...even when I don't bring up the subject of hair. Mind you these sistas have had the same length of hair since my big chop last year, and it is still broken off and raggedy...but do they listen when I try to answer THEIR questions to ME?...of course not. Same ol, same ol, "Grease GROWS the hair", "Too much 'washing' dries it out", "My hair was down to my waist when I was young but every since I let that stupid hairdresser cut it when I was 16(mind you this lady is in her mid-30's) it just stopped growing!" I hear all this nonsense and I just let it go in one ear and out the other...End of my vent.:) I agree with all of you, it is IGNORANCE on our part and we are the ones that have to open our minds. Peace and love Ladies of LHCF!

Yeah, but when they are taught one thing it's hard to change their way of thinking. My mother and sister are the same way. There like what are you doing to your hair NOW. Or you wash your hair all the time it's going to dry out. They'll see when my hair gets longer than all of there's. My mom did the big chop, but she isn't natural and she gets it cut all the time so her hair is short. My sister's hair is longer than mine, but I just found this website not too long ago, so that will change. My other sister doesn't even know about what I am doing. I love proving people wrong.
smile.gif
cool.gif
lick.gif

[ QUOTE ]
anky said:
Yea, I try not to talk to anyone else about hair because people who try to tell me how to take care of it are bald. I got more hair than them on the sides than they do on their entire head. This is why i only talk to you guys
when I am discouraged about my length and regimen.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I only talk to yall because I've been there done that.
smile.gif
Why does it seem when you tell people how much you wash your hair they look at you like your
nuts.gif
and this is after they've asked how you take care of your hair. It makes me so
mad.gif
sometimes. They open up the conversation, but don't want to listen after you start talking about what you've learned about hair care. So I just don't talk to anybody about it.

[ QUOTE ]
sillygurl18 said:
[ QUOTE ]
karezone said:
I don't even bother. If they like sweeping their hair up out of the floor then so be it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Karezone is funny!!!
rofl.gif
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto!

The thing is I would love to talk if they really want to listen. Telling me your hair needs dirt to grow is too much though. Carrots need dirt to grow not hair.

And your right ladies.....I do so love being AA. There isn't anything more beautiful than a AA woman with beautiful hair and skin.
smile.gif

I would really like for us all to have that.

Me too CrownnGlori!!! Me too!!! It will be nice when the rest of the world recognizes this!! Especially our own people!

[ QUOTE ]
ms_kenesha said:
rofl.gif
@ "no it isn't! i have a big oil stain on my pillow. my hair isn't dry!" Ask her why her hair is coming out then?

[/ QUOTE ]Everyone keeps saying stress. I agree she is stressed. The walls in our dorm room are thin and i keep hearing "oh my god! why is my hair falling out!" Sounds like stress to me!

[ QUOTE ]
karezone said:
Just stop, She knows so much let her hair fall out and when she is bald as a q-ball then ask her if her hair is dry.

[/ QUOTE ]"laughing my a
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

[ QUOTE ]
micarae said:
"My hair was down to my waist when I was young but every since I let that stupid hairdresser cut it when I was 16(mind you this lady is in her mid-30's) it just stopped growing!" I hear all this nonsense and I just let it go in one ear and out the other...End of my vent.:) I agree with all of you, it is IGNORANCE on our part and we are the ones that have to open our minds. Peace and love Ladies of LHCF!

[/ QUOTE ]
I heard that one too, from quite a few women LOL!

[ QUOTE ]
CrownnGlori said: Telling me your hair needs dirt to grow is too much though. Carrots need dirt to grow not hair.

[/ QUOTE ] OMG my mother told me this growing up, and she was a hairdresser.
confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
bellydancer said:
Everyone keeps saying stress. I agree she is stressed. The walls in our dorm room are thin and i keep hearing "oh my god! why is my hair falling out!" Sounds like stress to me!

[/ QUOTE ]

blush.gif

Oh, this is just getting out of hand. For heaven's sake, it's the holidays.

1. Buy her a bottle/jar/tube of your fave (cheap) moisturizing product.
2. Buy a cheap piece of ribbon.
3. Print "http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forum" on the ribbon.
4. Tie the ribbon around the product.
5. Just before she grabs her luggage to fly home for the break, leave it on her bed where she'll find it.

smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
megonw said:
[ QUOTE ]
bellydancer said:
Everyone keeps saying stress. I agree she is stressed. The walls in our dorm room are thin and i keep hearing "oh my god! why is my hair falling out!" Sounds like stress to me!

[/ QUOTE ]

blush.gif

5. Just before she grabs her luggage to fly home for the break, leave it on her bed where she'll find it.

smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And be prepared to have her cuss you out when you get back
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
CrownnGlori said:
[ QUOTE ]
megonw said:
[ QUOTE ]
bellydancer said:

[/ QUOTE ]

blush.gif

smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And be prepared to have her cuss you out when you get back
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

shocked.gif
Uh oh. We didn't determine whether or not the roommate is ghetto. What's her vibe, bellydancer?

[ QUOTE ]
megonw said:
[ QUOTE ]
bellydancer said:

[/ QUOTE ]

blush.gif

smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Hey that's a good idea.

lol megonw. oh her vibe? she's very ghetto. i honestly think she would give it back to me with attitude like "What the **** is this?! I ain't usin this! I got like 3 cans of oil sheen!" It's worth a try though. I might buy her some Surge since i'm hearing so much good about it. If she gives that back I'll be happy to use it!

[ QUOTE ]
ChocoKitty said:
[ QUOTE ]
CrownnGlori said:
I appreciate that even if we all don't agree on everything, we can at least listen to the other persons opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen to that!!!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
ITA
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
divacurl said:
beta is better for oily/acne prone skin because they penitrate and clean out the pores. alphas only clean the top layer of the skin and cannot penitrate rhe pores.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks!!!!

Unfortunately, there is still a lot of negativity with regard to us growing our hair long. Still in other websites, there is guilt attached, or you shouldn't. That is why you are the best Ladies to talk to about growing hair long.

Back