See-Thru Ends. To cut or not to cut!

mytia

SuperWoman!
My hair is maybe two and a half to three inches from brastrap but my ends are see-thru about two to two and a half inches up. So my question is what's the best way to get rid of this problem. Should I just cut it where this problem begins or continue to trim until it's gone. My husband is so obsessed with me having long hair that he thinks that I shouldn't cut it but I can't listen to him. So I'd like to know what you all think. I know that there are some ladies here who have had the same problem. What worked for you?

honeycomb719

Yes, as you can see by the pics in my album, I have that prob too w/ see-thru ends. For me, I have been slowly trimming them away, because I just hate to hold on to bold looking ends just for length.
I would suggest if you decide to cut, to do so gradually and your hubby wont be able to tell ;)

MeechUK

MeechUK
I had this problem and was determined not to cut my hair! When checking out the Crown & Glory website I eventually looked up the advice on hair brushing, for a texture similar to my own. I went out and purchased a paddle hair brush and followed the instructions. Well after a few weeks I really noticed the difference. My problem was that I thought I was being gentle but not gentle enough, slowly but surely my hair really started to thicken before my eyes, especially when combined with S-Curl.

I know that eventually I will have to trim/cut my hair but I'm going to give it at least 12 weeks before doing so. I would advice you to look up the website and see if the info can help you. I did try and trim my hair in the summer and cut off too much, rather than self-pity I thought it would grow back! It did grow back quickly but because I was brushing it incorrectly my ends grew back almost see-through.

MeechUK

Last edited:

mytia

SuperWoman!
Thanks ladies for the advice. Honeycomb719 I think that I will just trim gradually and continue with my protective styles and see how it goes from there. I don't really brush my hair too much but I visit the Crown and Glory site from time to time so I'll go back and see what may benefit me! Thanks!

PretteePlease

#fakeworkouts
if they aren't damaged dont worry as you trim and care for them they will begin to look thicker eventually the thin part will be trimmed away dont worry especially if you wear your hair up

NAY007

I always say this, if you have long hair and it's not healthy then what good is it to have long hair. So my first advice would be to cut the see through part off.
However, I do know how it feels when you want to grow your hair and how it hurts to cut it. So I agree with you when you say you'll trim it and wear protective styles. At least wearing the protective styles it won't be as visible and you're taking good care of your hair.

But believe me when I say that you'll feel a LOT better with a little shorter but vibrant healthy hair than longer hair that needs a trim.

tryn2growmyhair

MeechUK said:
I had this problem and was determined not to cut my hair! When checking out the Crown & Glory website I eventually looked up the advice on hair brushing, for a texture similar to my own. I went out and purchased a paddle hair brush and followed the instructions. Well after a few weeks I really noticed the difference. My problem was that I being gentle but not gentle enough, slowly but surely my hair really started to thicken before my eyes, especially when combined with S-Curl.

I know that eventually I will have to trim/cut my hair but I'm going to give it at least 12 weeks before doing so. I would advice you to look up the website and see if the info can help you. I did try and trim my hair in the summer and cut off too much, rather than self-pity I thought it would grow back! It did grow back quickly but because I was brushing it incorrectly my ends grew back almost see-through.

MeechUK

Could you please give us the link to this part of the website? I was on the site for a long time last night but did not see that part of it.

prettygrl

I think you should think about cutting it. I was in this same situation. Personally, I didn't want to walk around with scraggly looking hair. It was difficult to cut it..cause I was still hanging on to the days when it still looked good.
After I got it cut, it looked so much better and I feel better b/c I can wear my hair down and not be embarrassed.

MeechUK

MeechUK
Tryntogrowmyhair,
the link is on the GrowAfroLong website under the C & G technique No3. Combing & Brushing Techniques, I hope this helps it really helped me and I noticed the difference after a few weeks. Good Luck.

MeechUK

hOnii

i think you need to definately get a cut. if you let the ends keep hanging on there, the split ends will keep in splitting further and further up, so that when you finally DO decide to get your ends trimmed, you'll need more taken off.

MeechUK

MeechUK
hOnii,
this does not appear to be the case with myself at the moment, I believe I was tearing the hair which caused the breakage on. I checked my hair & could not find any split ends. I got my friend a hairdresser to check my hair & she said she could not find any split ends. How else could I explain the see through ends? My hair is getting thicker and the ends seem to be growing to catch up with the rest of my hair. I actually achieved about an inch in length in the space of 3 weeks, something I have never been able to do before. My conclusion is that gentle brushing helped. When I plait my hair in single braids, (I have 4 different natural textures), the only see through ends are now in one particular spot, in the rest of my hair the thickness is the same throughout the length of each plait.

I think that most of the time we equate breakage with split-ends when in fact we are not being gentle enough with our hair. When I used to relax my hair, sleeping in rollers and using styling gels, made my hair prone to breakage which I wrongly assumed was because I needed a touch-up. Yes I will eventually have to cut my hair, mostly because I want my hair to be one particular length. Why don't you have a look at No3 of the C & G technique "Combing & Brushing", the information combined with activator certainly helped me!

Last edited:

hOnii

ohh okay. i get you. brushing can also cause thin ends...i found that out personally. :/ but i'd still get a trim. evens things out and makes your hair look healthier. i always end up feeling a lot better after a trim, even thought at the time i was dreading it.

Dandy112

I just recently had this problem. I decided to go ahead and cut it. It was hard to do but in the end I am glad I did it. It will grow back and it will be nice and healthy. :)