Seeing More Black Women That Are Happy To Be Nappy

Candy1978

Ok, so it took me a while to really get that I need to love myself the way God made me, but I have arrived! I am elated to see more and more black women joining the natural hair movement, and embracing the beauty and versatility of black hair. I am in no way opposed to straight hair, but I am opposed to being addicted to weaves,rocking inidan remy hair when it looks very unnatural, I am opposed to trying to rock relaxed hair when you know your edges are coming out, scabs in your head, and it just doesn't look right, and thinking that ones hair doesn't look good unless it is straight, or have a relaxer/perm in it. It is as though God lifted the blinders off my eyes and said see Candy you are beautiful.....anyways bigups to all the naturals out there, you are not alone!! Also check out my youtube video telling why I decided to go natural and my other video about the products I am using while I transition to natural hair!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hdA9gYFi5o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDv1cmO9TSc <-Products Video

Last edited:

SND411

A True Soldier Never Dies
Wonderful post.

I just hope this whole "natural hair movement" is not just a fad that will go away in a few years.

*CherryPie*

Yayyyyy!! I agree! Although I already love myself whether I'm relaxed or natural.

I'm transitioning too!

Last edited:

Candy1978

Wonderful post.

I just hope this whole "natural hair movement" is not just a fad that will go away in a few years.

Interesting that you said that. Personally I do not think that is just a passing fad. As more black people, black women, in particular become more educated about how to take care of their hair in its natural state, and as we are finding a place for ourselves in society, in the US and worldwide, I truly believe that more and more black women will join on. There is such a freedom that I feel inside of my soul since I have decided to go natural. It's almost spiritual, because instead of loathing my hair, or wishing that it is something that it's not, I love me, and in some way it has helped me see the unique likeness of God in me. I wish every black woman could expereince this freedom. My mom has been natural for years, and she was always encouraging me to go natural, but I was always like no mom, I don't look right with nappy hair, or some other lame excuse......Marcus garvey said it best when he said "Don't remove the kinks from your hair, remove them from your mind"

phynestone

I agree. I don't think it's just a fad either. I think more black women are becoming courageous about personal choices overall and aren't worried about what family and friends think.

SND411

A True Soldier Never Dies
I'm just worried there will be some new "invention" like the mythical "straight hair pill" and many naturals who claimed to have new found love for their coils end up taking it.

But I think maybe that wouldn't happen if more black women were educated about their hair.

BlackMasterPiece

Cogratulations Candy1978:meme:

You have effectively deprogrammed yourself and now can clearly see and appreciate your true natural beauty:love2:

BlkOnyx488

I have found I have so much more freedom with my natural hair.

I don't have to spend hours trying to get my hair to curl in the direction I want. I don't have to freak out when the weather changes. I don't care if it rains on my head.

I have never gotten burns or sores from doing my natural hair. I don't have to wory about getting dents and crimps in my hair over night when my wrap comes loose

And when I get up in the morning all I have to do is spray alittle s-curl and finger comb it and I am done.

Last edited:

jamaraa

Warning...diff take on the matter....

This will be a fad....just as it was in the 1960s-70s. The same sort of symbolistic talk that was used then is being used now...w/ just as much vehemence. The fact that we haven't moved past that in 40 years doesn't encourage me at all. However, I couldn't care less. Being natural is not about "discovering/embracing myself" and all that jazz nor is it dependent on whether others are or not, it's aestheically appealing to me. My ego and self-esteem are well established enough not think that being of African descent or having hair that reflects this is some ort of couragous thing.

Let's get real here...some folks act is if they are doing something heroic or so gut wrenching by showing the world their African textures. Exactly what message does that send? Not all naturals feel this way or do it for those motives.

BrooklynSouth

I would not say it's a fad just what is going on right now. I'm old enough to have seen many hair changes in black women: the ugly,dry, reddish color hair of girls in high school who relaxed, the afros, jerri curls, better relaxing techniques, braids, African head wraps, weaves and now natural. Natural hair is so beautiful; I love seeing the explosion of naturals in New York. I've heard many comments such as ..Your hair has convinced me to go natural; how do you get your hair to do that or something similar. I'm glad to inspire those who want to be natural- {while advising them to embrace the changes without excessive frustration} I've noticed in longer conversations how some confess to hating the chemicals and the relaxing process but fear their hair will not look 'right'-gives me the opportunity to explain con-poos, deep cons, and moisturizers sealed with oil:yep:.

MyAngelEyez~C~U

Fellow transitioner checking in! I think going natural is becoming more common. In my office there are five black women (myself included). Three of us are transitioning, one of us is natural, and one is relaxed. My boss is a transitioner. I think its wonderful and freeing.

jennboo

OP, I'm so glad that you've taken the 'blinders' off!

Congratualtions on your revelation/epiphany and enjoy YOUR hair :grin:

Candy1978

I'm just worried there will be some new "invention" like the mythical "straight hair pill" and many naturals who claimed to have new found love for their coils end up taking it.

But I think maybe that wouldn't happen if more black women were educated about their hair.

I do understand your concern, I thought the same thing when I saw the thread about the hair straightening pill. Maybe some one would be willing to go agaisnt natura and do such a thing, but wow.....naturally straigt hair to me is soooooo boring, and I know for me I appreciate having styling options. Even if some black women were willing to do that, I think they would have some reall emotional issues to deal with, as well as retraining to get used to having naturally straight hair...I for one WILL NOT play with God....lol

Neith

This will be a fad....just as it was in the 1960s-70s. The same sort of symbolistic talk that was used then is being used now...w/ just as much vehemence. The fact that we haven't moved past that in 40 years doesn't encourage me at all. However, I couldn't care less. Being natural is not about "discovering/embracing myself" and all that jazz nor is it dependent on whether others are or not, it's aestheically appealing to me. My ego and self-esteem are well established enough not think that being of African descent or having hair that reflects this is some ort of couragous thing.

Let's get real here...some folks act is if they are doing something heroic or so gut wrenching by showing the world their African textures. Exactly what message does that send? Not all naturals feel this way or do it for those motives.

Wow, there is a lot of truth in there. :lol:

However... who is anyone to tell another person what "being natural is all about"?

It's gonna be different for everyone. Why should someone's life experience mirror yours?

I think it's part fad, part "movement". :yep:

While some people are in a phase, some people are now armed with knowledge and able to care for their natural hair and truly prefer it that way.

Candy1978

I respect your opinion, but beg to differ. The Kid n Play hair cut was a fad, MC Hammer pants were a fad. Natural kinky hair issues have always been an issue, but as time progreses I see more and more black women going and staying natural, because the same social pressures aren't on us to "Be White" (atleast they are not as strong). I agree not all naturals feel that they are being brave for being natural, but most of us do to a certain extent, especailly when it comes to attracting mates, getting and/or maintaing employment, dealing with unsupportive family members who refuse to believe that they have been brainwashed to think that straight hair is the"normal" or "good". I mean it is going against the beauty grain to wear your natural kinky, curly, coily, hair, and anytime you go against the grain it takes some bravery. If it weren't a big deal to go natural or be natural, then why did Chris Rock make a movie about the entire "good" hair and "bad"hair issue, and Tyra Banks wouldn't have done an entire show about it. Also education has to do alot of black women going and staying natural. For so many years black women have miseducated about taking care of their natural hair, and about growing it to great lenghts. This is this is the first time (thanks to technology) in our hairstory that we have access to this much accurate information about how to make our hair look gorgeous. We also have more hair products being made by black people for black people. so I don't see this natural hair explosion just fading out at all. Besides its all about versatility, individuality, and that is the true beauty of black hair anyways.

Last edited:

Second2None

However... who is anyone to tell another person what "being natural is all about"?

It's gonna be different for everyone. Why should someone's life experience mirror yours?

While some people are in a phase, some people are now armed with knowledge and able to care for their natural hair and truly prefer it that way.

:goodpost:

ryanshope

For me going natural was definitely about hair retention versus "embracing" my afrocentric self or self love.....I am the ish and the urine with relaxed or natural hair :)

But I do think that more women will go and STAY natural because there are safer ways to straighten natural hair and afros are TIMELESS, not trendy---and that is according to COSMO..not me.

For me, once I decided to go natural it is midback or bust....but this is a great thread OP.

testimony777

Congrats to you! It makes me so happy to see women embracing and loving who they are :yep:. I wish you happy growing on your natural journey :grin:.

LiberianGirl

:yep::yep: Good post Neith. Congrats on your decision to become natural Candy.

BostonMaria

This will be a fad....just as it was in the 1960s-70s. The same sort of symbolistic talk that was used then is being used now...w/ just as much vehemence. The fact that we haven't moved past that in 40 years doesn't encourage me at all.

Hey Jamaraa, I can't speak for everyone that has natural hair, but I do know for a fact that I will never use a relaxer ever again. I think the difference between the 70's and now is that we have better products on the market. All we had was Vaseline back in the day. Today we have gel, mousse, the internet with so many options to quality hair products, Curlformers, flatirons, rollers, youtube...

And I know that for you and others that relax your hair its hard to understand where we're coming from. Its ok because sometimes I feel like I have so much to learn about my hair and its been 2 years.

For me going natural was definitely about hair retention versus "embracing" my afrocentric self or self love...

Same here. I was just tired of relaxers and wanted my old texture back. I wanted to retain length and grow long hair. All the other stuff came once I stumbled on hair sites.

Last edited:

Eritreladiee

Why do BW always gotta be portrayed as these strong, mythical, heroic, super-humans--always breaking down doors and overcoming barriers, embracing this and rejecting that and :blah:

I dunno, me personally, I went natural because I like my hair. I think it suits me. Yeah, there's folks who don't like my hair- in fact, they probably don't like my whole style LOL...

jamaraa

Hey Jamaraa, I can't speak for everyone that has natural hair, but I do know for a fact that I will never use a relaxer ever again. I think the difference between the 70's and now is that we have better products on the market. All we had was Vaseline back in the day. Today we have gel, mousse, the internet with so many options to quality hair products, Curlformers, flatirons, rollers, youtube...

And I know that for you and others that relax your hair
its hard to understand where we're coming from. Its ok because sometimes I feel like I have so much to learn about my hair and its been 2 years.
[/quote]

BostonMaria LOL...have you read my posts? I've been natural for 99% of my life. :giggle: I actually said *I'm* natural because *I* find it aesthetically appealing which you cut outta the quote.

Last edited:

jamaraa

Why do BW always gotta be portrayed as these strong, mythical, heroic, super-humans--always breaking down doors and overcoming barriers, embracing this and rejecting that and :blah:

I dunno, me personally, I went natural because I like my hair. I think it suits me. Yeah, there's folks who don't like my hair- in fact, they probably don't like my whole style LOL...

Yeah...it's about the oft used and somewhat trite phrase "doing you". Why should anyone be patted on the head for that? It's called living and being an individual. :grin:

TrustMeLove

5 years ago when I went natural I didn't know there was some sort of movement or trend happening. I was just trying to keep hair on my head. The relaxers just werent' working for me and the health of my hair.

PLUS I was super jelly of all the styles the naturals were wearing. I would try to mimic them on my relaxed hair and it was NOT a good look. Than it hit me that i just needed to go natural.

I don't think of wearing my hair natural hair as some big non spoken banner about myself. It's just is what it is.. Like me wearing my natural eye color and no contacts...lol It's just me.

If relaxers worked for me I would probably still be relaxed. But, I think I would have transitioned because like I said I was trying to mimic natural hair styles. :nono: :lachen:

I would like to say I will never put another relaxer in my hair, but I can't. Because if I were to cut all my hair off and do one of those Halle Berry styles I would need a relaxer. But, I don't see that happening in the next 10 years. With that being said..I will never put another relaxer in my hair with the above exception in mind...:nono: It's just not my style or preference.

It's news to me that natural hair is like a trend or fad. I just thought women were making a style preference or making a choice for the health of their hair.

Now with that being said....As a natural my eyes have opened up to see things that I couldnt' see about relaxers, straight hair, assimilation etc..

Deszdamona

I love my natural hair and surprisingly its more versatile than when I was relaxed~And yes, I wear it just like it is in my siggy to work in a small Southern town PROUDLY! I do style it in other ways too:look:

ryanshope

You go girl :)

Loving the fro...fantastic.

I love my natural hair and surprisingly its more versatile than when I was relaxed~And yes, I wear it just like it is in my siggy to work in a small Southern town PROUDLY! I do style it in other ways too:look:

haitianchick

I personally didn't go natural for any uplifting reason, just because I was too broke to go to the salon for a while. The fact that it made me different from my sister helped. I do think its a fad for a lot of people. Its "cute" right now to have the curls, waves, fro thing right now just like the whole afrocentric, kente thing was cute back in the day.