Seeing More Black Women That Are Happy To Be Nappy

MichelleMyBelle

It was a choice of chemical burns on my scalp or natural.

When I transitioned many years ago I developed alopecia in many areas of my scalp. I had 4 consecutive TRAGIC events that caused me stress. My hair fell out in half dollar size circles all over my scalp. I could not put a chemical or heat any where near my scalp for a year. It wasn't that deep for me. It was about healing my skin/scalp and better health.

I wore wigs for a year and half. Once I learned how to properly handle my hair and scalp with care I didn't go back to relaxers.

Adaoba2012

Relaxed lady...poking her head in...

Congrats on your personal choice to go natural. I hope throughout your journey you find what makes YOU happy..as going natural was obviously a personal decision. I am a relaxed head and I relax my hair simply because it is easier for me to deal with my hair. I am 100% Nigerian so all this "afrocentric" talk is absolutely real to me..with the exception that its just AFRICAN talk. Even with that being said I still relax...so I feel that is an independent factor. Relaxing your hair doesn't mean you don't appreciate your culture or that you are "playing with God" because that could be said about tons of other things (ex. dying your hair, wearing contacts, sex, alcohol..whatever) it is simply a personal choice. period. I just wanted to congratulate you on your choice and I hope that it is an enriching one for you. :yep:

firecracker

Congrats on your transition. Different strokes for different folks. My hair looks natural but technically it isn't. After trying to go back to a bone straight relaxer for a couple of months I realized I prefer the ease and elasticity of my kinks and curls.

I think its crazy that people associate kinky curly texture with a movement or some type of enlightment. :look: I don't think its a fad or a movement. Ladies are seeking out other options.

My hair journey since 2005 has been full of fun, experimenting and a great learning experience. I will not say I don't feel a sense of freedom but its the freedom from expensive stylist and sitting up in a salon for hours.
This board is very helpful and full of pretty heads of hair be it relaxed, loc'd or natural. Hair is a accessory so you can switch it up whenever. :grin:

dicapr

Going natural for me was/is not that deep. I never liked the process of getting a relaxer. Then I found out I didn't have to. That simple. I like seeing black women take control of their hair. It saddens me when I hear someone say they don't know how to wash their hair. I think it is strange that black hair is sometimes treated like a foreign object by some women. That being said, I love seeing women go natural. However, I also like seeing relaxed women take control and learning how to self-relax and rollerset and flat iron. I like to see women free on the chains of a 3 hr to day long salon visit.

Jeech

Great choice to go natural...good for you. I am toying with the idea and right now I am wearing cornrows and they are soooo convenient but I also know that I need to learn how to better take care of my hair in its natural state otherwise I will run for that relaxer.

LadyRaider

Isn't long straight hair the 'in' thing right now in the wider American culture? It's been like that for a few years and might even be fading out right now.

I remember 3 or 4 years back when the stylist left my hair straight and I was like, "dang... is this woman lazy? How come she didn't style my hair?"

And then I noticed that the ladies in the media all had long straight hair and a lot of black girls did too. I remember when the characters on Law and Order: SVU suddenly had straight hair. It's the in style.

So all of that to say is the wider culture went long and straight and perhaps black women got tired of playing that game and have been bucking that system.

When will Sarah Jessica Parker see the light and stop straightening her hair? That's the question.

Platinum

Congratulations on your decision to transition, OP.

I can't speak for anyone else but my decision to transition isn't based on a "movement" or "fad". I was tired of the burned scalp, the under/overprocessed hair, and the breakage.:nono: Then spending big $$$$ for products to fight breakage I caused in the first place by relaxing. It was when I decided to transition, that I started noticing that there are so many ladies with the same texture rocking many beautiful and versatile styles. (Mwedzi, Tocktick, Black Masterpiece, Sera, etc).

I'm not the type of women to worry about what others think. So even if the "natural hair movement" is a "fad", I will more than likely stay on the natural path.

Good luck and happy hair growing, OP!

Almaz

I was on my way to school this morning and I saw a woman walking down the street and she had to most beautiful bodacious Afro I have seen 1976. It was beautiful and she looked good. It was so nice to see.

Platinum

Isn't long straight hair the 'in' thing right now in the wider American culture? It's been like that for a few years and might even be fading out right now.

I remember 3 or 4 years back when the stylist left my hair straight and I was like, "dang... is this woman lazy? How come she didn't style my hair?"

And then I noticed that the ladies in the media all had long straight hair and a lot of black girls did too. I remember when the characters on Law and Order: SVU suddenly had straight hair. It's the in style.

So all of that to say is the wider culture went long and straight and perhaps black women got tired of playing that game and have been bucking that system.

When will Sarah Jessica Parker see the light and stop straightening her hair? That's the question.

I'm not sure about it anywhere else but in my area, there are so many women spending big $$$$ on butt-length Indian Remy weaves and lacefronts.:ohwell:

Southernbella.

So basically, for some people it isn't that deep, and for others, it is. Agreed? :rolleyes:

Anyway, for you, OP, it is that deep, and I think it's absolutely wonderful. Congrats on embracing your natural hair, and I am of the opinion that it's not a fad. Styles can be a fad, but the texture of your hair is a part of who you are. I'm happy to see more women embracing their natural hair, and all of the versatility that comes along with it. :yep:

purplepeace79

Wow, there is a lot of truth in there. :lol:

However... who is anyone to tell another person what "being natural is all about"?

It's gonna be different for everyone. Why should someone's life experience mirror yours?

I think it's part fad, part "movement". :yep:

While some people are in a phase, some people are now armed with knowledge and able to care for their natural hair and truly prefer it that way.

Basically. We all have our opinions and ideas, and we cant tell someone else that theirs is wrong or that their perspective is wrong. I dont like when people say "going natural" and I expressed why. I say "being natural" because I think people are deciding to BE who they are, not "go" somewhere else. However, I understand others may not agree with that way of thinking.

For some people, wearing our hair natural IS a loaded, cultural, political action. Yes, some people wear their hair natural to make bold Black and Proud statements! Whats wrong with that? Yes, its rather unfortunate that wearing one's hair natural is not the "norm", but maybe one day it will be. Maybe, one day, getting relaxers and wearing weaves will be the alternative. But lets not act like there isnt something to that.

For others its just a style choice, or about having healthier hair, etc. Some people don't get deep into the politics or cultural aspects of hair. Thats fine. For some, its not that deep and I can accept that.

But 15 years in... I'mma say it isnt a fad or a trend FOR ME. I have some concerns about it being related more to economics and women being less able to splurge on salon trips. However, we are seeing more representation in mainstream media (commercials, etc) of sistas with natural styles than anything else so maybe that is influencing things. We're seeing younger folks bucking cultural norms all over the place (more black goths, the punk revival, hipsters, post-hip hop generation, etc) so maybe the younger girls will be like bump this, I'm not doing what THEY (our generation) do. There are so many things at play.

AnitaTheLengths

Congrats on your decision to go natural. Like it or not, the african-american culture is the "in thing" and has been for a while therefore seeing more natural styles on AA women is the current trend.

I have a pic of my mom from the 60's and she was rocking a big bodacious fro. Her hair was thick, lush and yummy. I also have pics of her with big Diana Ross & the Supremes type hair. Well, ever since I was born, I've known my mom to be addicted to the creamy crack. So I asked her why did she decide to perm her hair when her natural hair was so beautiful and versatile. She explained to me that growing up the only options she had (in the sticks of the deep deep deep south) was to wear her natural hair in plaits/braids/fro OR to have it pressed and curled. Apparently there were some issues with early chemical treatments jackin peoples heads up.:perplexed That scene from Malcolm X comes to mind. She said that relaxers became safer and easier to use at home as she grew up and it became the easiest way for her to get her hair straight enough to achieve the style she wanted.

So mom starts self-relaxing herself and gets even more practice with me and my sister as we grew up. I remember back in the day the drug store carried only 2 boxed relaxers - a Revlon Fabulaxer and something else. She thought she was doing us a favor by making sure we got touch-ups every 6-8 weeks with the relaxer being slapped on and rubbed into our hair from root to tip:nono: And let's not forget the great Jheri curl incident of 85. I'm happy to see a lot more of the natural styles being embraced as I was truly unaware of braidouts and twistouts until 2 years ago(?) But as for it being a trend or a fad, I believe it's the current flavor. If natural styles didn't dominate after the civil rights movement began, I don't see them becoming mainstream now.

I'm texlaxed by choice. I'm still learning how to properly care for my hair in it's natural state but I like the choice of being able to wear my hair with more texture vs wearing it bone straight 24/7.

purplepeace79

Yeah...it's about the oft used and somewhat trite phrase "doing you". Why should anyone be patted on the head for that? It's called living and being an individual. :grin:

I guess its like when Black males involved in their children's lives are given "props" when in reality they are only doing what they are supposed to do. But since sooooo many DON'T, they are viewed as doing something special. The same for women in natural hair, who are a vast minority among Black women.

purplepeace79

Congrats on your transition. Different strokes for different folks. My hair looks natural but technically it isn't. After trying to go back to a bone straight relaxer for a couple of months I realized I prefer the ease and elasticity of my kinks and curls.

I think its crazy that people associate kinky curly texture with a movement or some type of enlightment. :look: I don't think its a fad or a movement. Ladies are seeking out other options.

My hair journey since 2005 has been full of fun, experimenting and a great learning experience. I will not say I don't feel a sense of freedom but its the freedom from expensive stylist and sitting up in a salon for hours.
This board is very helpful and full of pretty heads of hair be it relaxed, loc'd or natural. Hair is a accessory so you can switch it up whenever. :grin:

Why is it crazy when for so long, that texture was condemned by almost everyone? Anytime people take on or embrace doing something (usually a positive thing) that goes against the norm, in the face of huge resistance, it CAN be viewed as a movement or enlightenment. Its just unfortunate that something like Black women's hair is so political. But we cant ignore WHY that is. We should be both saddened that our hair has been condemned for centuries and elated that sistas are finally starting to reclaim their right to wear their hair natural without being condemned by peers and society at large.

laurend

Longtime natural checking in. I went natural in 1988 because at that time I was teaching 10 fitness classes a week and I didn't want to worry about a hairstyle. Natural hair looked better on me than relaxed styles. One reason I think this natural phase might last longer than in the 1960's is because we have the Internet now. Irisistable, purplepeace, waves n curls are longtime naturals(early 90's) and we all agree that it was a struggle for us back then. We didn't have support or information. Naturals now have instant information to help them transition to natural hair, develop styles, and take care of their natural hair. The Internet has really helped this movement and it might be long lasting this time. If it isn't I know I will be natural for life.

Last edited:

firecracker

Why is it crazy when for so long, that texture was condemned by almost everyone? Anytime people take on or embrace doing something (usually a positive thing) that goes against the norm, in the face of huge resistance, it CAN be viewed as a movement or enlightenment. Its just unfortunate that something like Black women's hair is so political. But we cant ignore WHY that is. We should be both saddened that our hair has been condemned for centuries and elated that sistas are finally starting to reclaim their right to wear their hair natural without being condemned by peers and society at large.
I understand where you coming from and I agree with your post.