Self braiders please help!

Mortons

How do you get your individuals/micros tight at the root? I did some individuals last night and they make me sad looking at them. :sad: I could not get them tight enough at the root so they look old. Can someone please help me?

Neala21

what i normally do is when adding the hair for individual braids when you start at the base braid the hair in place a few times if that makes sense without pulling down.

If you are pulling down while braiding it will cause it the braid to be loose at the base or "slip".

Jazala

I usually do a tiny cornrow in the direction that I want the braid to hang. They never slip that way.

AsTheCurlzTurns

what i normally do is when adding the hair for individual braids when you start at the base braid the hair in place a few times if that makes sense without pulling down.

If you are pulling down while braiding it will cause it the braid to be loose at the base or "slip".
Ditto this!:yep:

That does make sense. I will try that. Does that method make the hair bunch up near the base?
What this will do is provide a firm hold with the weave and your hair combined. While braiding it in place, you can do a lil test pull to see if it will slip, if it doesn't, then you're good to go on and start braiding downward if you so desire.

This site had helped me to braid with extensions

http://www.growafrohairlong.com/braidreg.html

This link will help you to for the root of the braid:
http://www.doctoredlocks.com/store/demonstrations/collections/braiding.html
The last link is a very good example of how it's done. It's a lil loose in the demonstration, but only you will know as to how loose you wish your braid to be. So not to be too tight on your roots or pulling on your hairline.

I usually do a tiny cornrow in the direction that I want the braid to hang. They never slip that way.
This is also another option indeed!:yep:

Nonie

If you've only just started doing it, don't fret. You'll get the hang of it in time.

I don't know if my explanation in the link below helps at all, but I don't wrap the additional hair around my own. Instead, I use my thumb and the pointing finger of the right hand to hold the point of cross-over point of the extension hair at the base of my hair. In other words, I use the fingers of my left hand my hair so that when I hold the extension hair against my own, I have it gripped at the lowest point possible. And then while not losing that grip at the base, I use my fingers to split my own hair into 3 sections to match the extension hair. So while gripping with right-hand fingers, I use left fingers to pull out the left side of the braid section. Then the left fingers take over the base hold and I use the right fingers to separate out the right side of the braid section. That leaves the center part which seems to be the main part the grip is on and once again right-hand finger and thumb take over the base hold.

Now w/o losing that the pointing finger of the left hand reaches over the middle section of the braid to grab the right hand section and bring it over the middle so that it now becomes middle. Left fingers now take over the base hold so right fingers can reach over to the left section of the braid to bring it over the new "middle" so it becomes the middle now. Again there's a shift in base until you no longer need to grip the base.

Link to a thread where I shared some pics that I hope shed some more light on this. :ohwell:

Neala21

Using the technique i used as i described in my 1st post does NOT make the hair bunch UNLESS you are braiding on top of the braid you just braided causing it to look like a knot or bunched up.

What the braiding in place will look like in regards to micros or individuals is like the following pic that is attached.

Attachments

• individual.jpg
    individual.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 22