Self Relax or Professional?

Galleta

Hi ladies,

I am currently 18 weeks post relaxer. I just moved to a new area and I am afraid to get a new stylist. I found one that charges $125. Should I take the chance of getting styled by a professional and then ending up being pissed after she harshly treats my hair or should I pray that she'll do well. Or should I try to attempt to do my own relaxer for the first time?

I've been researching the self relaxing thread to prep myself if I do decide to do it myself, I just don't want to choose the wrong relaxer and damage my two years of progress because I'm two inches away from midback length.

I live in san francisco. I found the salon in oakland. I'm afraid that I'll go bald if I relax it myself. I've been wanting to relax my own hair for a really long time. What's the worst that can happen if I do it myself?

Be very careful when self relaxing. I tried and had major setbacks.

I should be well past bsl now but I'm just now getting to bsl. :ohwell:

GL!

I live in san francisco. I found the salon in oakland. I'm afraid that I'll go bald if I relax it myself. I've been wanting to relax my own hair for a really long time. What's the worst that can happen if I do it myself?
thats where i ws born:grin:

i would try a shop in oakland
theres this lady names sunshine in san Francisco shes kind of pricey but i dont think she charged 125 for a relaxer

theres a shop in Oakland called oh my nappy hair:rolleyes:
dont like the name but this lady from American idol use to go tot that shop
i forget her name but she was on the ai when fantasia won:yep:

you could half do the relaxer [texlax] it wont be bone str8 this way
u can burn your scalp as well

Do you live near a beauty school? They are much cheaper than a salon and they have instructors there watching. You could practice the steps of doing a relaxer with conditioner to get you more familiar with doing it if you decide to self relax.

I haven't set foot in a salon in well over six years and I vowed never to again and I do just fine. Better my money in my pocket than theirs.

Do you live near a beauty school? They are much cheaper than a salon and they have instructors there watching. You could practice the steps of doing a relaxer with conditioner to get you more familiar with doing it if you decide to self relax.

I haven't set foot in a salon in well over six years and I vowed never to again and I do just fine. Better my money in my pocket than theirs.

I agree with this idea. If you would like a professional to do it, I think you should talk to her first. Tell her what you want and expect since you are the customer and you value healthy relaxed hair. If she agrees and is on the same page, go for it. but if she sounds like she has an attitude or doesn't agree...I would forget about that stylist. I know there are people who think you shouldn't tell people how to do their jobs, but in this profession, it's supposed to be about doing things the customer's way and giving the customer what she wants.

thanks for your help ladies. i found another salon that charges $90. i have so much new growth and it's so thick that i feel that i should go to a stylist, but i also don't want to be upset when i leave if she doesn't follow instructions well. i have week to think about what i'm going to do. thanks again.

i live in sf too. i go to hairplay. you should make an appt with denise. pm- she chareges 115 but shes good and cares about hair.

It took me 2 years just about to realize that my skills in self relaxing was... NONE!!!

Im kindof in the same boat as you, my stylist is pregnant and will me on maternity leave when its time for my touch-up.

What I plan on doing, is checking out a few salons around town that I have heard about, setting up consultations, and watching techniques (if the salon doesnt mind me sitting and gawking):yep:

My last two touchups were self-relaxed. The first one was seriously underprocessed, second only slightly, so when I get one in May .. I expect it'll be great. You should try the conditioner practice, but if you're too apprehensive, don't do it. It's not for everybody.

Hey Bay Area chica checkin in....

I myself have given up on finding a stylist that will 'care' for my hair..my last stylist lost her shop and i refuse to go to her house.....$125 is outrageous...hell $85 (which is what i had been paying) is outrageous especially when i can
go and gt a kit for $7.99 have my mother do it and make it look just as good as if i went to the shop.

i do know of a couple of shops that i could recommend.... BUT i myself have never been to them; but girlfriends of mine or my sister has gone before....

the lady that the other poster was referring to was Latoya London on AI.....

Wow I cannot believe that people pay that much for a relaxer. I am just amazed. Then again I have been self relaxing since jr. high. Good luck on which ever you pick. I sure for those prices they are going to do a good job. I use to get relaxer at the beauty school when I was younger. My hair was so long, healthy and thick.

Back