Self Relaxing Techniques-Smoothing??

nomadpixi

Hi There,
I've been lurking for a while and since I couldn't seem to find any clear answers, I figured I'd finally just ask...

I'm too poor to go to a salon and don't trust salon students (no offense to salon students, but I had my hair set by a student. Somebody on this board said your hair can't be THAT screwed up by a roller set by a student. WRONG!!!! I went out of there lookin like the Queen Mother [helmet hair]. Anyway...)

I've tried self-relaxing in sections and have had a litte success, but I think I'm not smoothing it properly. There are still sections that just end up underprocessed; namely the front. My back looks ok usually, even now. I've seen so many people with great self relaxed hair and mine is still a disaster. Has anyone else had this problem?

Does anyone have any tips on smoothing or anything else??

Thanks

shortness

How long do you have the relaxer in in the front? Are you putting the relaxer in from the back and then continuing to the front and then smoothing right after you finish the front.... I am just wondering if it is getting processed as well as the back. Maybe the problem isn't smoothing....
I don't know perhaps someone more versed in self relaxing should answer this question

karezone

I get sets by students, but I usually don't let them comb it out or wrap it. Yes I leave with tight curls all over my head or I bring my own pins and wrap it myself.

If some sections of your hair are not straight after self relaxing, have you considered not relaxing the entire head at once. There are many threads on relaxing half at a time so that there won't be any unsmoothed portions.