Serums vs Oils: Which Do You Prefer?

Oils vs Serums: Which Do You Prefer For Sealing?

• Oil

Votes: 32 42.7%
  • Serum

Votes: 16 21.3%
  • Both-It depends on the hairstyle.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters

gorgeous86

I have been sealing my ends with oil since I have started my hair care journey. On a whim I decided to try a serum, Silk Elements Glossing Polish. IT WAS AMAZING!!!! :love: Now my hair feels very smooth and detangling my wet hair was a breeze! My hair is a lot softer and shinier when dry. I have tried it for both rollersets and and protective styles, and it's definitely a keeper for me. :grin: I do not plan on going back to oils for sealing my hair, because they don't leave my hair as smooth and soft as serums. :yep:

Which one do you prefer to seal your hair with and why?

Your Cheeziness

I use serum for styling. When I was using oil to seal in moisturizers, my ends got drier. Now I only use oil to prepoo or protect ends when relaxing.

shtow

I actually prefer oil to seal but only because I wash once a week. If I washed more, it would be serum; however, serum builds up on my hair if I use it too much. So I have a rule, I apply serum 3 times, then clarify. I wash and heat syle (serum to protect from heat) once a week so I clarify every 2nd or 3rd wash.

Muse

I would prefer to use oil in a perfect world but the truth is oil doesn't protect my hair against mechanical damage from ponytail holders or combs/brushes. I tried to seal with oil just last night because I don't want to have to use a lot of poo on my next wash and I got a lot more breakage from detangling with the same comb I always use. With serums (I use Sabino) the comb glides through my hair and like you said makes detangling wet hair a breeze!

caramelma

I prefere oils in my prepoo and Deep Conditioners and I prefere serums to seal and I also love to use them on dry hair for that shine

gorgeous86

I actually prefer oil to seal but only because I wash once a week. If I washed more, it would be serum; however, serum builds up on my hair if I use it too much. So I have a rule, I apply serum 3 times, then clarify. I wash and heat syle (serum to protect from heat) once a week so I clarify every 2nd or 3rd wash.

I meant to ask about clarifying when sealing w/serums :spinning: Thanks for posting that. That sounds like a great rule :yep:

gissellr78

I have been sealing my ends with oil since I have started my hair care journey. On a whim I decided to try a serum, Silk Elements Glossing Polish. IT WAS AMAZING!!!! :love: Now my hair feels very smooth and detangling my wet hair was a breeze! My hair is a lot softer and shinier when dry. I have tried it for both rollersets and and protective styles, and it's definitely a keeper for me. :grin: I do not plan on going back to oils for sealing my hair, because they don't leave my hair as smooth and soft as serums. :yep:

Which one do you prefer to seal your hair with and why?

I use biosilk serum and love it...a dab....coconut oil is not bad if use only a dab cause I dislike the smell

Solitude

Serums, hands down. Using oils in my hair was contributing to my face breakouts and my dandruff.

Essential oils can be beneficial, but it's too much of hassle to mix up concoctions and the "natural" products sold in Vitamin Shoppe, etc.tend to be too strong, IMO.

4mia

im loving argan oil, wich is like a serum my hair seem to absorb oil, but with serum it coats it, creating a protective barrier.

LushLox

I couldn't choose between the two, I love my castor oil and coconut, but adore serums equally. Serums tend to give me better results in rollersets.

MizzCoco

I used to use oils only to seal, but lately I've been using a light serum and my ends dont seem to clump together as much, and its much safer to manipulate, So serums for me now...which means I have to clarify more often.

Aggie

Truth be told, I love them both. Oils are perfect for my pre-poos and serums are perfect for styling and sometimes I have a tendency to mix them both in my hand, add to my hair once it's already slicked back in a bun. It adds tremendous shine to my hair and keeps it from looking dried out.

As shtow, I tend to clarify my hair using a sulfate-free clarifying shampoo a lot more often, because of the frequent serum use now.

Right now I am using Alfaparf Cristalli Liquidi (love the scent) and will be purchasing KeraCare Silken Seal next.

I use a lot of rich creamy butters for moisturizing and sealing as well using Chicoro's L.O.C. method and my hair stays moisturized for days before I would need to repeat it. As a result, my hair is healthier than it has been in months, ie, less splits, less SSKs, less dryness. I have one new problem now though - I can't stop touching it:grin:.

FrazzledFraggle

I love Garnier Fructise Anti-Frizz Serum. My hair is too easy to detangle and it's not heavy at all but I think it contains argon oil.

EnExitStageLeft

My hair would dropped kick my scalp if I used a serum (w/ cones). So I def. prefer oils. My Hair can't get enough of castor, argan, hempseed, rice bran and coconut oil. :lick:

Rozlewis

Oils such as Hempseed, Avocado, Macadamia, Rice Bran, GSO, etc. I only use cones when adding using heat which is rare.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Serums are better for detangling and heat styles
Oils are great for prepoos, sealing and scalp massages. I like them both for different reasons