Severe hard water damage! Are there gentler alternatives to chelating shampoos?

ILuvCurls

Are there gentler alternatives to chelating shampoos to correct hard water damage?

Hello Ladies! :wave:

I'm new here. I'm confused as to why my natural hair (no harsh chemicals or heat) has been breaking off so rapidly, especially the ends, and shedding so much that I have to cut nearly 2 inches every 4 months to keep it thick. My growth rate is 1/2 inch per month so I lose all my new growth and go in circles with the constant cutting and thinning. I was worried it was an internal health issue.

I have extreme dryness and frizz. None of my products or vitamins seem to be helping. I can't get moisture back into my hair. When dry, I can feel that my hair "sticks together" when I run my fingers through it. Even gentle detangling causes damage.

Thanks to LHCF, and the process of elimination, I may have determined the culprit: Hard water damage! (we have terrible water). I did a test; washed my hair with the reverse osmosis filtered water from our kitchen sink (the only place in our house that has filtered water), then I did an apple cider vinegar rinse (a bit drying), deep conditioned with a Phyto mask and applied coconut oil. After one wash I already see an improvement in my hair's health, and less shedding.

I've read on these forums that the most thorough way to remove mineral buildup is with a chelating shampoo? I'm afraid to use this due to the extreme dryness of my fine fragile hair, which is shampoo-sensitive in general.

I'm searching for effective alternatives to chelating shampoos (which may be too stripping for my type of hair). Vinegar rinses seem milder, but I'm not sure vinegar is enough to remove years of mineral buildup? Do you ladies have other suggestions for something gentler on the hair that has worked for you?

Thank you so much. **The photos below show the front of my hair where the breakage is the worst.**

Attachments

• Front & side breakage copy.jpg
    Front & side breakage copy.jpg
    497.3 KB · Views: 211
  • Front & side breakage 2 IMG_4977.jpg
    Front & side breakage 2 IMG_4977.jpg
    503.8 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:

Evolving78

Hello Ladies! :wave:

I'm new here. I'm confused as to why my natural hair (no harsh chemicals or heat) has been breaking off so rapidly, especially the ends, and shedding so much that I have to cut nearly 2 inches every 4 months to keep it thick. My growth rate is 1/2 inch per month so I lose all my new growth and go in circles with the constant cutting and thinning. I was worried it was an internal health issue.

I have extreme dryness and frizz. None of my products or vitamins seem to be helping. I can't get moisture back into my hair. When dry, I can feel that my hair "sticks together" when I run my fingers through it. Even gentle detangling causes damage.

Thanks to LHCF I may have determined the culprit: Hard water damage! (we have terrible water). I did a test; washed my hair with the reverse osmosis filtered water from our kitchen sink, then did an apple cider vinegar rinse (a bit drying), deep conditioned with a Phyto mask and applied coconut oil. After one wash I already see an improvement in my hair's health, and less shedding.

I've read on these forums that the most thorough way to remove mineral buildup is with a chelating shampoo? I'm afraid to use this due to the extreme dryness of my fine fragile hair, which is shampoo-sensitive in general.

I'm searching for effective alternatives to chelating shampoos (which may be too stripping for my type of hair). Vinegar rinses seem milder, but I'm not sure vinegar is enough to remove years of mineral buildup? Do you ladies have other suggestions for something gentler on the hair that has worked for you?

Thank you so much. **The photos below show the front of my hair where the breakage is the worst.**

Mizani chelating shampoo doesn't dry my hair or my dd's hair out. She is 3b-c fine texture natural. I am 4a fine relaxed. We both have low porous hair.

ILuvCurls

Thank you, that is good to know. Can I find that at Sally's?

***Edit: I just looked it up and Sally's has it. I might buy it for tomorrow's shampoo session and report back with results.***

THANK YOU!

Last edited:

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
I use Quantum Chelating/Clarifying Shampoo from Sally's. Does not dry me out and removed years of build up in 4 washes. And it smells nice too.

Lilmama1011

Acv rinses. It's crazy because I live in a state known for hard water and it doesn't effect my hair. Even though I wonder what it will feel like to have a water filter on my shower to see if it will be less tangly with shampoo because I don't care how I keep my hair in one direction and dilute, with shampoo it still tangles. But cowashing is fine

ILuvCurls

Acv rinses. It's crazy because I live in a state known for hard water and it doesn't effect my hair. Even though I wonder what it will feel like to have a water filter on my shower to see if it will be less tangly with shampoo because I don't care how I keep my hair in one direction and dilute, with shampoo it still tangles. But cowashing is fine
@Lilmama1011 That's great that it doesn't affect your hair! I don't know why my hair is so sensitive. I may still incorporate the ACV rinses into my routine along with a mild chelating shampoo--I need all the help I can get with this breakage!

bydebra

Kenra Clarifying/Chelating shampoo is a good one. Trust me, if hard water is the problem, your hair will feel much softer after chelating. Your conditioners are not penetrating due to the mineral build-up.

I'm sure it's been suggested, but a shower filter will help as well.

ILuvCurls

Kenra Clarifying/Chelating shampoo is a good one. Trust me, if hard water is the problem, your hair will feel much softer after chelating. Your conditioners are not penetrating due to the mineral build-up.

I'm sure it's been suggested, but a shower filter will help as well.
Thank you @simplydebra Unfortunately the Kenra products are not sold in my area and I need something now. We do have a Sally's here, so I'm going to pick up the Mizani or Quantum that was suggested here. And yes I definitely have noticed that my conditioners are becoming less and less effective, which must be due to mineral buildup. I can't think of any other reason.

Such a simple solution if this problem can be solved with just shampoo and filtered water!

Evolving78

Thank you, that is good to know. Can I find that at Sally's?

***Edit: I just looked it up and Sally's has it. I might buy it for tomorrow's shampoo session and report back with results.***

THANK YOU!

If you try that quantum? Please report back.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I have superfine 4c strands that break when you look at it. :lol: the water here is also hard.

First get a screw on filter (Sprite brand filters 20 bucks at home depot or Lowe's ) for your shower and exclusively wash your hair there. You will notice a diff instantly in skin and hair.

Second I use Aubrey organics swimmers shampoo to chelate and clarify in one swoop, twice a month and follow with an hour long dc.

Hope you find a solution that works for you

Last edited:

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
All the suggestions are excellent! If you look at the avatars and signature photos of their gorgeous hair, it is plain to see that these ladies know what they are talking about. :yep:

A water filter will address the source of the problem, the hard water issue.

Another 'shampoo-less' solution to chelate the hair is to use Karo syrup or any brand of corn syrup. :grin:

Corn syrup is an organic chelator. It chelates minerals from the hair. There are -OH chemical groups in it which work like 'fingers', on a molecular basis, that 'pull' and 'grab' and remove mineral build-up from the hair.

This is a key ingredient in Aubrey Organic Swimmer's shampoo along with vitamin C. Vitamin C neutralizes chlorine and the corn syrup 'sweeps' the neutralized vitamin c from the hair, along with any mineral build-up. I would assume chlorine is an issue, too. If hard water and chlorine are in your water, Aubrey's Organic Swimmer's shampoo could possibly address both those issues with one product.

Where I live, I can't get ANY of these shampoo products and I am not allowed to change the water filter in my shower. So, I just keep vitamin C (to use only after swimming in a pool for the chlorine) and karo syrup (for mineral build-up) around to 'doctor up' the shampoos and conditioners I can find.

How to use karo: Mix a tablespoon or two in your shampoo, in your hands! Place on wet hair. Rinse out and then condition as usual.

I am sure you will find a solution for your needs to help your lovely hair continue to flourish and grow.

Welcome to the board, too!!! :grin:

Nazaneen

I use Quantum Chelating/Clarifying Shampoo from Sally's. Does not dry me out and removed years of build up in 4 washes. And it smells nice too.

I may pick this up the next time I'm at Sallys. In NYC I did not have hard water but I've been upstate for 6 years now and the water is hard, I don't know if it's very hard but it's definitely not soft like NYC water. The soap scum is not pleasant. I think my hair has suffered in some way from this water.

Nazaneen

All the suggestions are excellent! If you look at the avatars and signature photos of their gorgeous hair, it is plain to see that these ladies know what they are talking about. :yep:

Another 'shampoo-less' solution to chelate the hair is to use Karo syrup or any brand of corn syrup. :grin:

Corn syrup is an organic chelator. It chelates minerals from the hair. There are -OH chemical groups in it which work like 'fingers', on a molecular basis, that 'pull' and 'grab' and remove mineral build-up from the hair.

This is a key ingredient in Aubrey Organic Swimmer's shampoo along with vitamin C. Vitamin C neutralizes chlorine and the corn syrup 'sweeps' the neutralized vitamin c from the hair, along with any mineral build-up. I would assume chlorine is an issue, too. If hard water and chlorine are in your water, Aubrey's Organic Swimmer's shampoo could possibly address both those issues with one product.

Where I live, I can't get ANY of these shampoo products and I am not allowed to change the water filter in my shower. So, I just keep vitamin C (to use only after swimming in a pool for the chlorine) and karo syrup (for mineral build-up) around to 'doctor up' the shampoos and conditioners I can find.

How to use karo: Mix a tablespoon or two in your shampoo, in your hands! Place on wet hair. Rinse out and then condition as usual.

I am sure you will find a solution for your needs to help your lovely hair continue to flourish and grow.

Chicoro interesting! can i use vitamin C powder without the corn syrup? I have a bottle of C powder on my table now.

Chicoro

@Chicoro interesting! can i use vitamin C powder without the corn syrup? I have a bottle of C powder on my table now.

Hey Arlana,

Would you be using the Vitamin C powder to neutralize chlorine only? If that is the case, yes. But I use it in a very specific way. I would put about 1 teaspoon of Vitamin C powder in a large spray bottle of plain water.
When I go swimming in a chlorinated pool, it messes up my hair. Immediately after leaving the pool I saturate my hair with the vitamin c water. This IMMEDIATELY neutralizes and stops the action of chlorine. Chlorine continues to act upon and damage (dissolves the protein) the hair strands long after you left the pool if you don't neutralize it. Chlorine eventually dissipates on it's own but I prefer to stop the activity sooner than later. If this is not your question, please let me know. You can always pm as well!

oops! Just noticed you said you have hard water. The vitamin c acts more on chlorine. The corn syrup acts more on the minerals. Thus, if hard water and mineral build-up are your issues more so than chlorine, Vitamin C may not address the source of the issue for you.

Last edited:

Nazaneen

Hey Arlana,

Would you be using the Vitamin C powder to neutralize chlorine only? If that is the case, yes. But I use it in a very specific way. I would put about 1 teaspoon of Vitamin C powder in a large spray bottle of plain water.
When I go swimming in a chlorinated pool, it messes up my hair. Immediately after leaving the pool I saturate my hair with the vitamin c water. This IMMEDIATELY neutralizes and stops the action of chlorine. Chlorine continues to act upon and damage (dissolves the protein) the hair strands long after you left the pool if you don't neutralize it. Chlorine eventually dissipates on it's own but I prefer to stop the activity sooner than later. If this is not your question, please let me know. You can always pm as well!

Thank you Chicoro. Oh I see, so the C is for neutralizing the action of chlorine. I don't have an issue with chlorine as far as I know. I don't swim :lol:.

ILuvCurls

If you try that quantum? Please report back.

Will do!

Redken Cleansing Cream is the most gentle that I've tried to date.

Thank you divachyk. I love Redken products but have to order online. I'm adding the Cleansing Cream to my list of possibilities, and for a quick fix I'm going to Sally's today.

I have superfine 4c strands that break when you look at it. :lol: the water here is also hard.

First get a screw on filter (Sprite brand filters 20 bucks at home depot or Lowe's ) for your shower and exclusively wash your hair there. You will notice a diff instantly in skin and hair.

Second I use Aubrey organics swimmers shampoo to chelate and clarify in one swoop, twice a month and follow with an hour long dc.

Hope you find a solution that works for you

DarkJoy; Thank you, and I agree with the bolded! I say the exact same thing about my hair :lol: Regarding filters; until we can set up a shower filter I'm using the reverse osmosis filtered water from our kitchen sink. I fill up my camping shower, warm it up in the sun, then hang it up in the bathroom shower. It holds 5 gallons and I use this water for hair & face. Boy, the things we do to save our hair!

Aubrey Organics is another line that I can't get here. I'll have to put that on my list of things to check out.

ILuvCurls

Thank you @Chicoro! Yes I agree with you, the gals on LHCF know their stuff! :yep: I've been changing my entire hair routine from suggestions on here.

I have to say, I'm fascinated by the corn syrup and vitamin C remedy. And it would be so easy to incorporate into my hair routine! (Plus it's inexpensive, which is always good). May I ask what form of vitamin C you use, and where do you get it? (We live in a very small town and can't get much around here. I'll have to order online.)

Last edited:

ILuvCurls

Is there some type of test to determine if one has hard water?

PlainJane This is the pH tester we use, but there are many others on the market. After testing our water, we decided to get the reverse osmosis filter for the kitchen sink. We can't drink our water, or cook with it.

Attachments

• Tester IMG_5016.jpg
    Tester IMG_5016.jpg
    358.6 KB · Views: 36

tjrj1998

Hey Arlana,

oops! Just noticed you said you have hard water. The vitamin c acts more on chlorine. The corn syrup acts more on the minerals. Thus, if hard water and mineral build-up are your issues more so than chlorine, Vitamin C may not address the source of the issue for you.

This information is AMAZING!!!!!
My daughter is going to start swimming again in the fall and this will definitely keep her hair in tip top shape.

After spraying how long do you let it sit and what are your steps after this?

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
I second AO Swimmer's. I use it once a month to clarify due to using butters and oils in my hair often. It chelates too.

Sent from my Snow White Frost Galaxy S4 using LHCF

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
My daughter is waist length to hip lemgth and swims in a pool 1 - 2x a week the last 2 years. Plus our water is hard. She was stuck at apl to bsl a cpl years until we incorporated the ao swimmers shampoo.

My heavy shedding is also a lot less along with a better regimen and my styles hold better.

Chicoro

@ILuvCurls,
I use Life Extensions Buffered Vitamin C Powder. This is ascorbic acid. Potassium sorbate is another form of Vitamin C. That one will work as well. The molecular breakdown of their chemical reactions with chlorine are slightly different between the two. Do not use citric acid. It only "fizzes" and just looks like it is doing something. Citric acid has no action on chlorine. You can get vitamin c powder at iherb. I order it online, too.

http://www.iherb.com/Life-Extension-Buffered-Vitamin-C-Powder-16-oz-454-g/3968

This information is AMAZING!!!!!
My daughter is going to start swimming again in the fall and this will definitely keep her hair in tip top shape. After spraying how long do you let it sit and what are your steps after this?

@tjrj1998,
I leave it on for about two minutes. You will know how long to leave it on! Here's why: When the hair has pool chlorine in it, it will smell of chlorine. Spray in the vitamin c water until YOU NO LONGER SMELL THE CHLORINE! When you can no longer smell the chlorine in the hair, then you have neutralized the chlorine and can proceed to wash out the vitamin C water.

Warning: Be sure to rinse out the vitamin C BEFORE you go in the sun. Do not use this if you are going to be out in the sun or on the beach as the vitamin c in the hair can oxidize or lighten it WITH the sun. Without the sun the hair should be fine. Next step: Chelate or sweep out the neutralized chlorine by mixing a tablespoon or two of corn syrup with your shampoo. Use a protein conditioner and follow up with moisturizing conditioner. Place oil in hair to lubricate it. Style as you usually do. The corn syrup will leave the hair very soft and clean without stripping it.

I designed this process and call my process the P(I)NC(U)RL Method!

P= protect (I suggest putting oil or something on hair before swimming)
N=neutralize the chlorine
C=chelate the chlorine
R=restore protein
L=lubricate hair with (oil) after moisturizing (with water)

The acronym is pronounced "pin curl". I have a video up on you tube if you want a visual demonstration.

Last edited:

tjrj1998

@ILuvCurls,
I use Life Extensions Buffered Vitamin C Powder. This is ascorbic acid. Potassium sorbate is another form of Vitamin C. That one will work as well. The molecular breakdown of their chemical reactions with chlorine are slightly different between the two. Do not use citric acid. It only "fizzes" and just looks like it is doing something. Citric acid has no action on chlorine. You can get vitamin c powder at iherb. I order it online, too.

http://www.iherb.com/Life-Extension-Buffered-Vitamin-C-Powder-16-oz-454-g/3968

@tjrj1998,
I leave it on for about two minutes. You will know how long to leave it on! Here's why: When the hair has pool chlorine in it, it will smell of chlorine. Spray in the vitamin c water until YOU NO LONGER SMELL THE CHLORINE! When you can no longer smell the chlorine in the hair, then you have neutralized the chlorine and can proceed to wash out the vitamin C water.

Warning: Be sure to rinse out the vitamin C BEFORE you go in the sun. Do not use this if you are going to be out in the sun or on the beach as the vitamin c in the hair can oxidize or lighten it WITH the sun. Without the sun the hair should be fine. Next step: Chelate or sweep out the neutralized chlorine by mixing a tablespoon or two of corn syrup with your shampoo. Use a protein conditioner and follow up with moisturizing conditioner. Place oil in hair to lubricate it. Style as you usually do. The corn syrup will leave the hair very soft and clean without stripping it.

I designed this process and call my process the P(I)NC(U)RL Method!

P= protect (I suggest putting oil or something on hair before swimming)
N=neutralize the chlorine
C=chelate the chlorine
R=restore protein
L=lubricate hair with (oil) after moisturizing (with water)

The acronym is pronounced "pin curl". I have a video up on you tube if you want a visual demonstration.

This is absolutely wonderful information!!!!!!!

I have a few questions: If the hair is being neutralized by the vit c concoction, what is the reason for restoring the protein?

How long will the vit c concoction last in the container. I know that vit c is very unstable so how often should I make it?

ILuvCurls

Here is update #1: (Sorry, it's long). I only found 2 options for chelating shampoos where I live. 1) Ion Hard Water Shampoo. 2) Quantum Clarifying/Chelating Shampoo. I decided to go with the Quantum.

My procedure:
1) Oiled hair generously with coconut oil the day before chelating, and bunned overnight (since I expected a chelating shampoo would be very drying).

2) The next day, rinsed with reverse osmosis filtered water, applied Quantum chelating shampoo only once, massaged in for about 2 minutes, rinsed.

3) Deep conditioned with Phytojojoba mask; wrapped hair in saran wrap & plastic cap; used bonnet dryer on medium heat (I never use high heat) for 1 hour. Normally I only do 30 minutes. I let the DC remain in my hair for 3 more hours without heat. An unusually long DC treatment for me!

4) Rinsed with filtered water & applied a protein leave-in conditioner for balance (since my DC was a moisture treatment). On top of that I liberally applied a leave-in with lots of slip for easier detangling, since my hair still felt dry after chelating. After detangling I applied CHI Silk Infusion, Nexxus Heat Protexx, and coconut oil.

5) Air dried in a loose ponytail, then bunned.

6) Applied more coconut oil to my ends and flat ironed at 140 degrees Fahrenheit with only 1 pass (for smoothing and sealing, not straightening). Note: Normally I only do this on haircut days since I'm afraid of all direct heat but I've recently made a discovery: I'm surprised to find that by doing this I have less breakage than when I air dry only, since it keeps my hair smoother & tangle-free until the next wash day. But I will research this further before incorporating any direct heat into my regular routine.

My initial observations after 1st chelating treatment:
1) My hair is a bit dry, but softer & shinier with more body (probably due to #2 below). The ends don't feel as rough as before.

2) My DC treatment seems to have worked better.

3) Surprisingly the chelating shampoo didn't seem to dry out my hair more than clarifying poos or some of the harsh sulfate poos that claimed to be "moisturizing".

4) After a few applications I think the Quantum chelating poo should be able to effectively remove several years of hard water mineral buildup. Plus it's what I had available here. But since it is so stripping on my fragile hair (it has sulfates and sodium chloride) I will explore the milder options suggested in this thread, for future use.

5) It is too early to determine how much the thinning & breakage issues will improve, but I'm hopeful. :yep:

Below is a photo after my 1st chelating treatment. It looks dry but definitely feels softer, has more body and is shinier than before treatment.
Thanks again ladies, for your tips and advice!!!:thankyou:

Attachments

• Quantum Treatment #1, IMG_5033.jpg
    Quantum Treatment #1, IMG_5033.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 42
Last edited: