SEW-IN+SUPER DRY HAIR-ADVICE PLZ

laurend085

I had my first install for about 2 months and 3 weeks. I finally took it down yesterday. I had leave out hair-small horseshoe, sides (above ears), and nape..The only hair that was alright througout the install was my horse shoe because it's what I would have to comb and flat iron to blend. Initially the nape and sides were flat ironed as well. That went out the window after the first wash as they turned into little "puff" balls. I did not comb it or flat iron it but let it be. I initially moisturized it daily then stopped. I shampooed and DCed 1x week or every other week for the majority of the time except the end. So I took it down this past weekend, detangled as much as I could then put coconut oil in my hair for about 10 hours. I then shampooed with Suave Clarifying and Motions CPR, conditioned with Suave Coconut conditioner, DCed for about 30 minutes with AOHSR and Yes to Carrots. I then put a little bit of KBB hair milk and Mizani therasmooth in my hair and air dryed. Later I blowdryed :sad: I could not blowdry my hair for nothin. I finally had to get my mom to do it for me. She went through and combed out sections first then blow dryed. I went back to my childhood tenderheaded days, it hurt so bad when she combed it. It felt like she was pulling my hair from my scalp. Surprisingly, there was hardly any hair in the comb and a very small (like teaspoon size) of hair actually came out. My hair was so dry. She said that my scalp was dry also and was flaking..I've had problems with AOHSR flaking before so that could be to me not rinsing it out well. The initial plan was to flat iron it but she just put it into a ponytail. My hair still looks and feels dry and my head is sore. The only good thing is I did get growth because I had an asymmetrical bob and a shaved nape that was so short I could only wear it down. My hair is now in a pony tail with a puff almost the size of my fist. I will probably go back into braids or another install to help me my growth

Why is my hair so dry even after I DCed? What can I do to get it more moisturized and have it stay that way?

yodie

Maybe you should try spritzing it with S Curl for a day, pull it back into a bun, allow the moisture to soak in and then DC again.

Lots of factors can add to the dryness. Are you drinking enough water? How long are you wearing your install? Are you able to squeeze any oil into your hair while wearing the sew in?

You should also start taking Fish oil supplements if you decide to get your sew in again.
Hope this helps.

Chameleonchick

Maybe you should try spritzing it with S Curl for a day, pull it back into a bun, allow the moisture to soak in and then DC again.

You should also start taking Fish oil supplements if you decide to get your sew in again.
Hope this helps.

What do the Fish Oil Supplements do for your hair? I take a 3-6-9 supplement.

Chameleonchick

First I will say congrats on your growth. I would keep doing DC's for a while until your moisture level is back to normal.

MaryJane3000

Depending on if you think your hair can handle the manipulation or not, i would start cowashing but with a cone-free conditioner and damp bunning with a water based moisturizer and then seal with the coconut oil. When i was in protein overload that was the only thing that got my moisture level back up. I would do that maybe every other day or twice a week. Also, you may or may not want to do this but I would put the conditioner on dry hair and let it sit for an hour or two and then rinse it out..so i was deep conditioning and co-washing at the same time. HTH

HairBella08

Did you moisturize your tracks every day or every other day while in the sew-in? (I'm not sure if you mentioned that.) I've found that this is must or it takes several, several weeks for ME to get my hair back to normal. IMO it does nothing for me to DC my hair in a sew-in if I don't keep my moisture on point throughout the course of wearing. Also, for some reason clarifying or using protein on my hair immediately after being in a install does NOT work well even if I felt that I moisurized well during the install. My hair just acts funny and gets all tangled and knotted. I use all moisturizing priducts (shampoo, DC, etc.), moisturize daily and then 5-6 days later wash with a clarifying shampoo, a light/med protein and DC (moisture).

yodie

Yay, you're getting lots of advice and your hair will turn around in no time. I believe the fish oil will help your natural scalp oils. I'm sure the other ladies will add more info/correct me if I'm wrong.

augiemoment

i had the same problem u have now after taking down my braids,my hair was so dry and crunchy even after deep conditioning.
So I had to re-wash it the next day because i thought it was due to build up.
After rewashing i deep conditioned with a moisturising (no protein) conditioner mixed with EVOO over night and rinsed it out the next day, then applied a moisturising leave in conditioner and airdryed till hair was 80% dray, i then moisturised and sealed with oil( i used that opportunity to detangle and i had absolutely no breakeag.
next i put it in a bun and tied with a scarf, some hour later, it is still not dry but my hair does not feel crunchy, instead it feels like there is moisture in it.

For me this is what i do whenever i take down braids and my hair is very dry after dc. I just rewash and deep condition with moisturising deep conditioner works every time for me.