She went to the pool AGAIN!!!

Adaj

I posted this here because this forum gets more traffic than the childrens'.

My DD (age 4) went to the pool yesterday with her uncle. She had her hair in about 25 plaits. When she came home, I washed and DCed her hair without taking the plaits out.

Fastforward to today, and her grandmother takes her to the pool AGAIN without my knowledge. I'm upset because I'm TIRED of washing hair!!! This Sunday, we are suppose to be going to the beach...need I say more?! :wallbash::wallbash: At this point, my main concern is damage. Here's my question, and I really need guidance. Because she went to the pool today, should I go ahead and do our wash routine this evening or should I just wait until AFTER the beach, and wash then?

I know she has to have fun (she's only 4)...I'm just tired of washing and doing hair!!! :spinning::whyme:
TIA

just co wash her hair and then wait to shampoo until after the beach. i really dont think its that big of a deal. i went to the pool several times and didnt shampoo my hair each time and there was no problem. her hair is in braids so i dont even see the problem.

Exactly what chebaby said. Just rinse out her doing bath time and/or co-wash it in the braids. If she's the type to keep on a scarf when she sleeps :)look:I was) tie up her hair to tame the fuzzy and she'll be fine until Saturday.

just co wash her hair and then wait to shampoo until after the beach. i really dont think its that big of a deal. i went to the pool several times and didnt shampoo my hair each time and there was no problem. her hair is in braids so i dont even see the problem.

I thought the problem was the chlorine! I read so much on these boards that I just get a little worried...that's all. I wasn't sure what to do, and I was scared that if I didn't wash it the chlorine would be damaging. Thank you for responding :grin:

Exactly what chebaby said. Just rinse out her doing bath time and/or co-wash it in the braids. If she's the type to keep on a scarf when she sleeps :)look:I was) tie up her hair to tame the fuzzy and she'll be fine until Saturday.

That child is such a wild sleeper! Sometimes it stays on though! I never thought about co-washing because I didn't think condish would be able to remove the chlorine from her hair. But I'll definitely try that this evening, and I'll just do the entire wash/dc reggie after the beach on Sunday. Thanks :grin:

I would think shampooing so often would be way more damaging and stripping than the little bit of chlorine unless you use a sulfate free or natural poo....

i think chlorine can be a problem if the overall health of her hair wasnt good to begin with and you waited a long time between washes. however you seem to take pretty good care of her hair so i dont think missing one wash day will be a big problem. just make sure to co wash or water rinse her hair in between pool visits if shes going to continue to go several times a week and keep her hair braided. if she goes 3 times a week i think shampooing once and then co washing the other days should be enough.

Co-sign on the cowashing. :yep: Also, I'd like to add that if you thoroughly wet her hair with fresh water before she gets in the pool/ocean, it won't absorb that much of the "bad" water because hair can only hold so much water. By wetting her hair beforehand, her hair will have already soaked up as much water as it can take.

Last edited:
I may be wrong but I'd say put a conditioner like hello hydration in her hair before she hits the pool. I think it has cones and if her hair doesn't mind cones i will probably protect it from the chlorine...

I went to the beach and have been doing water aerobics and I coat my hair with conditioner prior to getting in, and co-wash each time afterwards and I only actually shampoo 1-2 times per week, no damage in sight! :smile:

I need to take you guys advice because every time I hit the pool (outdoors especially), my hair turns red from the chlorine + sun.

(taking notes)

I may be wrong but I'd say put a conditioner like hello hydration in her hair before she hits the pool. I think it has cones and if her hair doesn't mind cones i will probably protect it from the chlorine...

I went to the beach and have been doing water aerobics and I coat my hair with conditioner prior to getting in, and co-wash each time afterwards and I only actually shampoo 1-2 times per week, no damage in sight! :smile:

I agree with putting conditioner on her hair before. I use to use mane n tail condish when I was younger before swimming. My bff is a swimmer and has been all her life...she had waistlength hair when I met her.

Don't have her miss out on summer fun because of hair. Let her hit the pool and the beach. If you want to shampoo just shampoo the chlorine out, follow with a cowash, moisturize as normal and save the DC for the weekend or whenever you have time

I always put conditioner in mine & DD hair before the pool/beach. Since she's going to the beach so soon I would just wait to wash. I don't know what you use to wash but I just bought Ion's swimmers shampoo and it doesn't strip the hair

Sent from my LS670

Just rinse it really well and if you feel like it use conditioner to lightly wash it until your ready to do your regular wash routine. I do more damage to my DD hair when I'm not in the mood than when I leave it be.

My DD is 6 and is has been tearing the pool up this summer. And like you, I dont want to be the "killjoy" to all her summer fun so I let her go. I just keep her hair braided or twisted for easy rinsing and maintenence, and so far all has been well. HTH.

Do you relax your hair?? And do you wear a swimmers cap. I relax my hair and I have streaks, I'm just curious what should I do with my hair prior entering the pool? Thanks in advance 

Back