SheaMoisture souffle catastrophic FAIL

NubianPrize

:perplexedI just tried THREE TIMES to use the Shea Moisture Curl Souffle & Curl Smoothie. First I gave my hair a steam treatment, then tried putting my hair in twists using the smoothie over the soufflé .I'd heard a lot of mixed "love it hate it" reviews but decided to try anyway. It didn't really feel right, didn't seem to penetrate my hair & took forever to start to dry but when it was just a little damp I put on a scarf & went to bed.. Next day the twists were shrunken & dry with a little greasy feel. Washed it all out, looked at more youtube videos & many had great results from mixing the soufflé with the smoothie. Tried that & when I took the dried twists out & tried to fluff, I wound up with a horrible mass of frizzy crispy feeling dry greasy hair. I'd even done one part of my head with the smoothie & soufflé, another part with the yucca baobab with smoothie on top & a section where the soufflé was under the smoothie. IT WAS ALL A CATASTROPHIC MESS like my hair had actually changed it's DNA ! This morning washed it all out with the SM Purification Masque (GREAT STUFF) & was about to try again but decided ,after washing it out, that I'd just forget it & put Kimmaytube's leave in, KinkyCurly, & SM Curl milk . Beautiful soft little curls. Now I'd heard that you only use a very little soufflé & that it should be very wet.I have a whole jar of the soufflé & an almost full jar of smoothie. The smoothie is "iffy" on my hair & I only had one twist out look "not bad" using it & that only lasted a few hours. It just doesn't seem to penetrate my hair & neither does the soufflé.Seem to act like buildup. I get great results using the smoothie or the Curl /style milk over Kinky Curly. Neither one gives me ANY curl definition at all & when they dry the twists are shrunken & feel like coated with dry buildup. Not moisturized at all.
Anyone out there have any tips that worked with the soufflé or smoothie after a fail? I'd hate to toss the soufflé,but it really can't hold a candle to the wonderful KCCC . My hair is soft, fine, 4a with maybe some b, & all of it is various sized penspring S curls. No Z strands anywhere.

I'm tell you the truth. I never try ANYTHING THREE TIMES.

For my hair that is asking for trouble. I will try twice MAYBE.

I'm too scared of a setback.

I would gve it away or sell it or return it if u got it at Target.

Maybe some other ladies will chime in with tips but I'm a quitter. I'll return something in a minute. LOL ;)

Good luck!

I like the shea moisture curly smoothie. The trick is not to apply too much product as it will make your hair greasy. I dampen my hair with AVJ and then apply about a nickel size amount to each section (I section in 4's). I concentrate on the ends 1st and work the product up the hair shaft. I also don't seal the product in, since the product is naturally on the oily side. I don't use the product as the main source to achieve my braidouts & twistouts. I use it as a nice addition. I like the product because it defines my braidouts/twistouts very nicely.

Maybe try dampening your hair with a water based product (ie water, AVJ) and then apply the SM product.

Hope this helps.

Before I use the smoothie,I dampens hair with water or spray moisturizer,put little oil to seal.

Happy Hair Growing!

Both products were disaster for here too. Those made me realize that my hair HATES aloe or its relatives--agave in the SM products I think--when left on. I had crispy hair and breakage for days. Took several DCs to repair that mess. Never again. :nono:

I have never used the Souffle, but the Smoothie is one of my staples. I apply it in sections, spraying each section with a braid spray first. I put about 10 braid-n-twists in my hair each night and wake up to a defined braidout. I have 4a/4b hair.

The only thing I've liked from Shea Moisture was the shampoo in the gold bottle. I tried the entire Curl & Style line and the Deep Treatment (gold) :nono:. I used it and my hair acted a complete full. It took me a week to get it back to normal. I returned that mess back to the store as quickly as I could :nono:.

I love all of SMs products. I think the very first time I tried the souffle, I didn't experience a disaster but it was unpleasant. I figured out I used too much. I just need a tiny bit of that stuff. One jar lasted me over a year with regular use. I remember wondering if it wasn't absorbing on my hair but I didn't experience dryness or crispiness, ever.

I cosign. Shea Moisture curl enhancing smoothie left my hair crispy, greasy, and with a lot of buildup that took clarifying to get rid of. Fortunately, I gave the product to a friend and she did not have the same problem. She actually loved it.

However, my hair is baby fine and I get build-up easily.

I cosign. Shea Moisture curl enhancing smoothie left my hair crispy, greasy, and with a lot of buildup that took clarifying to get rid of. Fortunately, I gave the product to a friend and she did not have the same problem. She actually loved it.

However, my hair is baby fine and I get build-up easily.
Baby fine! So's mine. Maybe that's part of the problem, or maybe it's the protein. My hair likes shea butter,coconut oil & other smoothie ingredients but it just seems to sit on my hair & not absorb well. I have the YuccaBaobab line & have had no problem with them. Gonna try some "mixtress " skills & see if I can mix something with the smoothie to make it work. I just made a batch of shea butter mix with shea butter,coconut oil, grapeseed oil, & jojoba & it's wonderful on my hair. Also made shealoe that turned out equally well.,

SMCES leaves my hair feeling greasy every time. Has anyone tried it with eco styler to make like a custard kind of thing? I'm thinking about trying that bc I don't like the smoothie. Haven't tried the souffle and probably won't.

HPG

Don't judge...Sent from my Galaxy Note II using LHCF

Back