shedding is it normal? do you have it

jaszymeen

i noticed that whenever i get a relaxer or wash, dc, and straighten that my hair doesnt shed for like a week and a half or so. after that time frame i shed like 5-10 strands everytime i comb my hair:ohwell: overall my hair is healthy and very strong i just dont understand the whole shedding thing. i get tired of brushing the hairs off me:nono:

Poranges

Positive Vibrations
Hair Sheds when its growth phase is over? I think so...I stop combing about 3 months into my stretch, right now I'm about 5 months and I don't comb but when I wash I shed A LOT all the hair that has been shed but not combed out, its normal and fine unless you're shedding in excess amounts every day, as long as it has the little white bulb on it, its okay....when it sheds a new hair grows in, if it doesn't have a white bulb then its breakage, this is what I know about shedding and breakage.

jaszymeen

Hair Sheds when its growth phase is over? I think so...I stop combing about 3 months into my stretch, right now I'm about 5 months and I don't comb but when I wash I shed A LOT all the hair that has been shed but not combed out, its normal and fine unless you're shedding in excess amounts every day, as long as it has the little white bulb on it, its okay....when it sheds a new hair grows in, if it doesn't have a white bulb then its breakage, this is what I know about shedding and breakage.

i've been checking all the shed hairs for this which is how i determined its shedding and not breakage if it was im pullin out my trusty profective lol. i normally lose more hair while washing also i try 2 be gentle no pulling or tugging and washing straight down

RadiantBeauty

i noticed that whenever i get a relaxer or wash, dc, and straighten that my hair doesnt shed for like a week and a half or so. after that time frame i shed like 5-10 strands everytime i comb my hair:ohwell: overall my hair is healthy and very strong i just dont understand the whole shedding thing. i get tired of brushing the hairs off me:nono:

It could be the relaxer! I got my hair relaxed bone straight with Affirm Fiberguard Sensitive Scalp for Normal hair once, and my hair shedded alot after 4 or 5 days. I have used other relaxers in the past and that never happened before. Also, when I used to get my hair relaxed bone straight, that would stop the shedding that was going on because I was stretching relaxers. What relaxer are you using?

jaszymeen

It could be the relaxer! I got my hair relaxed bone straight with Affirm Fiberguard Sensitive Scalp for Normal hair once, and my hair shedded alot after 4 or 5 days. I have used other relaxers in the past and that never happened before. Also, when I used to get my hair relaxed bone straight, that would stop the shedding that was going on because I was stretching relaxers. What relaxer are you using?

just recently i went to a new salon and she used design essentials. for the past year though i've been using mizani. i stretch my relaxers 3 or 4 months using weaves i get really good growth from them. i really just relax to check my growth wear my hair 4 a month or so then weave it back up.

msa

Shedding is normal and natural. Humans shed an average of 50-100 hairs per day. Shedding is the third phase of a hairs life cycle.

Don't worry about it, it's fine. If you ever start shedding so much that you are seeing bald spots or super thin hair that's a problem.

RadiantBeauty

just recently i went to a new salon and she used design essentials. for the past year though i've been using mizani. i stretch my relaxers 3 or 4 months using weaves i get really good growth from them. i really just relax to check my growth wear my hair 4 a month or so then weave it back up.

I think it could be the relaxer. Did you ever see the strength of the relaxer on design essentials container?

ebonylocs

Yes, shedding is normal.

The reason you don't see shedding immediately after a relaxer or DC or whatever is that your hair is usually combed very thoroughly during the process, removing any stuck shed hairs that would usually fall from your hair after a while.

Imagine if your hair didn't shed. If you're 25 yrs old, then all the hair on your head would be 25 y-o too, instead of just a couple of years old. That would be some rough, ragged looking hair.

I do completely understand being tired of picking up your hairs though. I have a lot of hair on my head, but it is disturbing that I find my hair EVERYWHERE - on my bed, on clothing, caught up in sheets and socks in the wash, when I vacuum there are hair balls rolling up everywhere, in the sink and bath, even when I wipe my arse I find shed hairs. I'm just like "Stay put already! This is annoying and messy." But I'm nowhere close to bald, so...

jaszymeen

Yes, shedding is normal.

The reason you don't see shedding immediately after a relaxer or DC or whatever is that your hair is usually combed very thoroughly during the process, removing any stuck shed hairs that would usually fall from your hair after a while.

Imagine if your hair didn't shed. If you're 25 yrs old, then all the hair on your head would be 25 y-o too, instead of just a couple of years old. That would be some rough, ragged looking hair.

I do completely understand being tired of picking up your hairs though. I have a lot of hair on my head, but it is disturbing that I find my hair EVERYWHERE - on my bed, on clothing, caught up in sheets and socks in the wash, when I vacuum there are hair balls rolling up everywhere, in the sink and bath, even when I wipe my arse I find shed hairs. I'm just like "Stay put already! This is annoying and messy." But I'm nowhere close to bald, so...

i never thought about that. that's a really good point

ebonylocs

i never thought about that. that's a really good point

Actually, now that I think about it, I might not be correct. I was thinking that because shedding and growth together - i.e. shedding happens before a new hair comes into the follicle. But what if there was no shedding, but there was still growth? Then your strands would keep growing and growing, and you could keep cutting off the older, ragged ends and keep the younger stronger hair closer to the root. That would really be the best scenario, because there wouldn't be any "terminal length". But unfortunately, that isn't reality.

I'm a bit bummed right now because I have removed about 1,000 shed strands (bulb on the end) from my hair in the past week. Yeah, my hair usually sheds a lot, but this is still unusual. I think it may be the fault of that black rinse i did a couple of weeks ago. That thing had a bad chemically smell.

So girl, be happy with your 5-10 strands a day. That's not a lot, at all.