Shikaikai and Amla - what to do with this?

BrownBetty

Hola ladies,

I have Skikaikai and Amla (powder). So I use the amla in my henna mix but can I use the Skikaikai also? And I want to use the Skikaikai when I wash and set, how should I use it? Do I mix it with conditioner? I have tea bags so I can make a tea for my hair; use it as a rinse? Has anyone every used it with amla?

Ladies, please chime in, I really want to start using the Skikaikai if nothing else.

Thanks!
MV

dlewis

Whatever you do, do not make a paste and put it on the hair. It's very very hard to rinse out. I make a tea and pour it over the hair and scalp.

LaNecia

Yes, you can use the Shikakai & amla in your henna for conditioning, I do this.

I use shikakai and amla as a hair wash instead of regular shampoos. I add about 2 tbsps of each to about 4 cups of HOT water, letting the powders steep for about 15 minutes. In the shower, I pour about half the mixture into the hair, massaging it in (let it sit for about 5 minutes). Rinse and repeat. THIS DOES NOT LATER. Actually, it feels very icky stiff. It rinses off to leave hair feeling very soft and silky, not stripped or stiff at all. I follow with a moisturizing conditioner rinse and it makes my hair turn out VERY nice.

I don't mix mine with a conditioner at all but I've seen skikakai conditioners at Whole Foods so go for it!

I can't stress this enough: DO NOT GET IT IN YOUR EYES.... I'll post a photo next time this happens, it'll make you want to wear goggles when you wash your hair. :cry3:

LaNecia

dlewis said:
Whatever you do, do not make a paste and put it on the hair. It's very very hard to rinse out. I make a tea and pour it over the hair and scalp.

ITA, use a lot of water! Do you strain off the powders and just use the water? I keep the powders in the water but it's by no means a paste at all.

ETA: FNWL has the following instructions for using Shikakai powders:

For best results, combine 1 tablespoon each of shikakai powder, amla powder, bhringraj and aritha powder. Add them to 1 cup boiling water. Allow the infusion to sit for 10 minutes. If you have dandruff or scalp problems, you can add 1 teaspoon of neem powder to this mixture. You can also add 1 teaspoon of liquid castille soap to the mixture if you have very oily hair. Once cooled, use this mixture to wash your hair. Rinse well with warm water. If desired, follow with a light spritzing of amla and brahmi oils to condition the hair.

Last edited:

BrownBetty

Thanks Ladies!

Dlewis, when you use it was a rinse, do you leave it in or do you then do a rinse with water?

Vix - I might use it was a pooo, hmmm...

I'll let you all know how it turns out.

dlewis

MissVee said:
Thanks Ladies!

Dlewis, when you use it was a rinse, do you leave it in or do you then do a rinse with water?

Vix - I might use it was a pooo, hmmm...

I'll let you all know how it turns out.

I rinse it out.

LaNecia

dlewis said:
I rinse it out.

Yeah, I don't think it would be nice at all left in. :nono:

MissVee, if you have questions about the pooing with it, drop me a PM. I'm going to try the powders this weekend mixed in my nourish spa shampoo I bought by mistake.

Last edited:

BrownBetty

VWVixxen said:
Yeah, I don't think it would be nice at all left in. :nono:

MissVee, if you have questions about the pooing with it, drop me a PM. I'm going to try the powders this weekend mixed in my nourish spa shampoo I bought by mistake.

ok, I think I am going to try the rinse first. Baby steps.... I do not like that nourish spa poo... it is the worst.

LaNecia

What didn't you like about it? I used it straight as a regular poo a few times and found it left my hair feeling kinda weird. :confused: I liked the ingredients though. I'm going to probably try to get my paws on some CON poo again and use the Shikakai/amla with it. ;)

BrownBetty

VWVixxen said:
What didn't you like about it? I used it straight as a regular poo a few times and found it left my hair feeling kinda weird. :confused: I liked the ingredients though. I'm going to probably try to get my paws on some CON poo again and use the Shikakai/amla with it. ;)

My hair felt like straw once I poo with it. I think my hair likes SLS lol... I use it to wash my combs and brushes.

imstush

Vixxen, have you ever tried the shikakai shampoo bars. or the amla and shikakai with reetha (sp?) shampoo?

Brownie518

I have yet to use the shikakai and amla powders. I am in love with the oils, though. They are definite staples for me. I just recently started using the shikakai shampoo bar (Hairveda). I let the shikakai oil sit on my hair overnight and then washed with the bar. Excellent. I can't even explain how my hair felt. Nothing has ever made it feel that way. It was...soft, strong, thick, and silky. I don't know but it was great. I just ordered the shikakai shampoo from eastwestbazaar yesterday. Can't wait to try it.

Last edited:

LaNecia

imstush said:
Vixxen, have you ever tried the shikakai shampoo bars. or the amla and shikakai with reetha (sp?) shampoo?

:lol: Wow, great minds must think alike because I sure did write it down on my list to purchase from my local indian grocer this weekend. I can't say I've ever seen the shampoo bars but I''ve never gone specifically looking for it either. I have Aritha/Reetha powder but been a little reluctant to use it.

My big thing is not wanting to use SLS shampoos cause they're so caustic and damaging. I don't even use regular body soap formulas either.

FNWL is out of Amla powder :mad: so I'm driving up to Little India to do my bulk shopping...:driver: (And my little VWBug is a stick too!)

imstush

VWVixxen said:
:lol: Wow, great minds must think alike because I sure did write it down on my list to purchase from my local indian grocer this weekend. I can't say I've ever seen the shampoo bars but I''ve never gone specifically looking for it either. I have Aritha/Reetha powder but been a little reluctant to use it.

My big thing is not wanting to use SLS shampoos cause they're so caustic and damaging. I don't even use regular body soap formulas either.

FNWL is out of Amla powder :mad: so I'm driving up to Little India to do my bulk shopping...:driver: (And my little VWBug is a stick too!)

:grin: I agree, I feel the same way. I wasn't sure if I should continue using the shampoo because there are no ingredients and I was wondering if it contained SLS. There was an old thread about it but not too much info. Let me know how like the shampoo. I am still not sure if I like it or not.

BrownBetty

I used the rinse after my poo and then dc... my hair feels nice. It looks really thicks and I lost a few hairs.

Tee

I still have both these powders and have yet to use them. I might try them out this tomorrow.