Shock Horror !

NGC

WOW! This makes me want to revamp my regime (again).

Thanks for the info

Carlie

Wow...interesting. This is very useful info when shopping for new products...thanks for the site!

skegeesmb

Wow. I was glad when I went to the site and realized that I don't use any of the products mentioned on the most dangerous list.

The other categories are interesting too.

DahomeyAhosi

I've very disturbed about what was said about silica. I take this as a supplement and though I haven't been able to verify that the oral form is cancer-causing, I won't be buying anymore.

nmfsc

I am so upset about Biolage Daily leave in tonic. I absolutely love this stuff as it is a wonderful detangler and overall product for my hair. Also, Salerm 21's second main ingredient is propylene glycol which is listed as a carcinogen.

Innocent_Kiss

I just requested a sample of Aussie's Rockin Riglets Gel (or whatever it's called) ..I'm glad I got a sample BEFORE buying it. The site isn't working right for me, I think somethings wrong with their php script. Thanks for the link!

ichephren

It says in another place on the website:
Silica. Crystalline silica is a known human carcinogen (IARC 2004). Silica in cosmetics may be in the form of tiny particles of glass (Merck 2004), sand or bits of ground quartz from mining operations (NIOSH 2002), or even an extract from horsetail plants (see, for example, www.wholehealthmd.com, 2004). Of these, the sand or quartz material is the crystalline form known to be carcinogenic.

Other forms of silica — glass, for instance — are not considered known human carcinogens. In sales materials, the chemical giant Merck describes the company's technology breakthrough in producing of “tiny glass beads” that are now used in namebrand toothpastes and sunscreens (Merck 2004), and a company called SCHOTT promotes the use of a material called bioactive glass powder for cosmetic applications (SCHOTT 2004). The State of New Jersey cites “limited evidence that fibrous glass implanted into animals” causes cancer (NJDHHS 2004), but the glass form of silica is not classified as a human carcinogen.

A consumer has no way to know if the “silica” listed on the ingredient label of a product is a respirable, carcinogenic, crystalline silica or another form of silica that may not pose cancer risks through inhalation. Through ingredient label searches, EWG identified some form of silica in one of every nine products (862 products altogether), including 14 products in powder or aerosol form for which inhalation is likely. Regardless of the cancer risk, consumers may want to avoid the use of powders, even those that do not contain silica, because of potential risks for other kinds of lung damage. In consumer education materials, FDA notes that “powders may cause lung damage if inhaled regularly” (FDA 2000a).
So I think that horsetail is fine, it's just the crystalline forms that pose a problem. Most of the products that we use on a day to day basis contain numerous problematic ingredients. Check your skin lotions, they probably contain parabens, which is suspected of being carcinogenic as well.

MsKibibi

I can't see the listing of the ten best/ ten worst can someone please copy and paste them. thanks

Tracy

Thanks for the info M Byron.

It is upsetting. What I dislike least about these kinds of organizations is - how do we know if these people's information is accurate? And I wonder WHY they do what they do - what their motivation is for putting together this kind of info. It could just be altruism. But they could also have hidden reasons....

I guess I'm just too much of a skeptic.

Interesting site though.

M_BYRON_M

I was a bit skeptical at first but i thought that unlike other website that i had visited the results were confined to scientific knowledge and not other peoples experinces or views.

On the about us page they give a good account of themselves and they ahve been in various papers etc. so I tend to agree with the list which they have made.

I have always been curious about those words on the product which you cant pronounce and i knew that chemicals with names like that cant be all good to either your body or your hair.

Im really surpirsed that " the government does not require health studies or pre-market testing for cosmetics and other personal care products before they are sold."

I was really shocked by some of the product scores especialy NTM which i had just placed a order for .The websit has certainly made me think about my chioices in hair care products for the future .

Ayeshia

[ QUOTE ]
MsKibibi said:
I can't see the listing of the ten best/ ten worst can someone please copy and paste them. thanks

[/ QUOTE ]
me neither

M_BYRON_M

As requested :

Conditioners:

Conditioners You May Want to Avoid:
A review of cosmetic industry assessments show that the following Conditioners may present the greatest potential risks to consumers:

Product name Safety score
(range: 0-10)
10 is of most concern
Biolage by Matrix Daily Leave-In Tonic 9.0
JASON Natural Cosmetics, Damage Control Creme Conditioner 8.7
Nioxin Bionutrient Protectives Scalp Therapy, for Chemically Enhanced Hair 8.7
Aussie 3 Minute Miracle, Original 8.6
Redken Color Extend Conditioner, Color-Treated Hair 8.6
Tibet Rebirth Volumizing Conditioner, Fine-Flyaway 8.6
Umberto Giannini Sleek and Chic Straightening Conditioner 8.5
Jason Natural Cosmetics Conditioner, Thin-To-Thick Hair & Scalp Therapy 8.5
PHYTO Phytosesame Express Hydrating Conditioner for Dry Hair 8.5
UltraSwim Ultra Swim Conditioner 8.5

Conditioners - Better Choices
Based on the government and industry sources we have reviewed, these Conditioners contain less toxic ingredients.

10 is of most concern
Kerastase Nutrative, Nutri-Instantane Leave In Serum 2.3
Weleda Rosemary Hair Oil 2.6
Weleda Rosemary Phyto Hair Conditioner 2.9
Philip B. Rejuvenating Oil For Dry to Damaged Hair 3.6
Shikai Natural Everyday Conditioner 5.0
PHYTO Huile d'Ales Intense Hydrating Oil Treatment with essential plant oils, Dry Hair 5.0
The Art of Shaving Conditioner for All Hair Types 5.0
Desert Essence Daily Replenishing Tea Tree Conditioner with Organic Tea Tree Oil 5.1
philosophy breaking point 5.1
philosophy the breaking point, intensive hair treatment 5.1

Shampoos:

Shampoos You May Want to Avoid:
A review of cosmetic industry assessments show that the following Shampoos may present the greatest potential risks to consumers:

10 is of most concern
Neutrogena T-Gel Shampoo, Stubborn Itch Control 9.3
Nizoral Anti-Dandruff Shampoo 9.1
Nioxin Bionutrient Protectives Cleanser, for Chemically Enhanced Hair 9.0
American Crew Revitalizing Daily Moisture Shampoo, For Normal To Dry Hair 9.0
Artec Blondes 8.9
Neutrogena T-Gel Shampoo, Extra Strength 8.9
Neutrogena T-Gel Shampoo, Original 8.9
Umberto Giannini Sleek and Chic Straightening Shampoo 8.9
Redken Active Express Flash Wash, Fast-Drying Shampoo 8.9
Tibet Rebirth Volumizing Shampoo, Fine-Flyaway 8.9

Shampoos - Better Choices
Based on the government and industry sources we have reviewed, these Shampoos contain less toxic ingredients.

10 is of most concern
Terressentials Fragrance-free Pure Earth Hair Wash 2.3
Terressentials Cool Mint Pure Earth Hair Wash 2.6
NuHair Volume Maximizing Shampoo, For Men and Women 2.9
Tom's of Maine Natural Baby Shampoo, Honeysuckle 2.9
Terressentials Lavender Garden Pure Earth Hair Wash 3.4
Burt's Bees Rosemary Mint Shampoo Bar With Oat Protein and Pro Vitamin B5 3.6
Terressentials Left Coast Lemon Pure Earth Hair Wash 3.6
Terressentials Sultry Spice Pure Earth Hair Wash 3.9
Pure Baby Cradle Cap Care with Vitamins A & E, Sensitive Skin Formula 4.6
Burt's Bees Doctor Burt's Herbal Treatment Shampoo with Cedar Leaf & Juniper Oil 4.7

LEOLADYSW

Thanks for letting us know! I am very thankful my products are not on this list. I couldn't afford to replace everything!

Lindy

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:
Thanks for the info M Byron.

It is upsetting. What I dislike least about these kinds of organizations is - how do we know if these people's information is accurate? And I wonder WHY they do what they do - what their motivation is for putting together this kind of info. It could just be altruism. But they could also have hidden reasons....

I guess I'm just too much of a skeptic.

Interesting site though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with ya, Tracy...
I'm still going to use all my products!!

DahomeyAhosi

bree they do have a list for relaxers...just change the product type. Most of the "relaxers" ,however, seem to be the temporary type rather than the ones we usually speak of on here.

ThursdayGirl

I am with Tracy and Lindy... I was reading their list of "dangerous agents" and they listed Vitamin E...and one of its derivatives...sure its dangerous if you're taking a ton of it...but in most of these products unless you're allergic to it... its not going to cause a problem. It also listed Papain...which if I remember correctly is found in Pineapple.

For the poster concerned about silica... a lot of the silica that you find in supplements comes from horsetail plants. I don't think that its a major concern unless you're taking (again) a large amount of it.

M_BYRON_M

[ QUOTE ]
ThursdayGirl said:
I am with Tracy and Lindy... I was reading their list of "dangerous agents" and they listed Vitamin E...and one of its derivatives...sure its dangerous if you're taking a ton of it...but in most of these products unless you're allergic to it... its not going to cause a problem. It also listed Papain...which if I remember correctly is found in Pineapple.

probably b/c that form of Vit. E is synthetic. I believe I read that tocopheryl is the name of Vit. E, but if it has the "acetate" in behind it, then it is synthetic or impure.

sengschick

The Bun Master
[ QUOTE ]
ThursdayGirl said:

For the poster concerned about silica... a lot of the silica that you find in supplements comes from horsetail plants. I don't think that its a major concern unless you're taking (again) a large amount of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The other thing I noticed is that a negative indicator is given for items that contain un-studied ingredients. Most natural products which reap benefits that will not acknowledged by the FDA and remain 'un-studied', but definitely are not decidely harmful
. Actually it's quite the contrary which is why they won't study them
. What would we do in a world w/o man made products to replace what nature has given us
?!

Boadicea

They don't tell you the amounts (ppm=parts per million and ppb=parts per billion and the like) needed for anything to be carcenogenic.

Simply saying that something is "carcenogenic" doesn't tell you much unless you specify how much needs to be applied/consumed to actually cause cancer.

I'd take it more seriously if they were specific. For now, I'm going to continue using my Aussie.