Short Hair issues

mattapansista

Hi Ladies, wondering if you guys can help me out. A have a few things going on. My hair is very short like halle berry. i have balding at the crown and thinning around my edged and nape. I have been using surge and doing massages with WGO for about 2 weeks. I was told not to relax my crown, but thats kinds of hard because my hair is so short and when my relaxer grows out i cant style it. Can i relax the rest of my hair excluding my crown? my other other problem is I was tying my hair down with a scarf but it kept coming off at night. I dont like to tie my hair down to begin with because once my hair is curled tying it down flattens it out completely so my hair is flat everyday which i hate because ill go to salon one day and the next day you cant even tell. But if i don't tie it down my hair will be very unruly and hard to style-im a wild sleeper. I started using a stocking cap over my scarf which worked but i just realized it rubbed out my sides and my nape area even more-which never really grew anyway. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. :perplexed
http://public.fotki.com/mattapansista/mattapansistas_hair/ pw-fashion

Last edited:

mochamadness

Going the Distance
Hi Mattapansista,

I'm sorry to hear about your hair troubles. I have had success with relaxing certain parts of my hair and excluding others without a problem. It seems like you are on the right path to growing your edges back using the surge and wgo mixture.

By the way, I love the screenname, I'm from mattapan too!!

WesternEyes

Hi! I was wondering what do you think is causing the thinning of your crown and edges? If it's the relaxer, then you may want to think about the type you are using(the brand and the strength). How often are you relaxing? Do you relax the crown area first? How long do you leave it on?

Mocha, what parts do you exclude and how does that work in with your relaxed hair?

Last edited:

mattapansista

Hi Mocha-Im glad to see theres a fellow bostonion! :) Do you do your own hair or do you go to a salon?

Hey Western-I was told it could be stress causing the thinning This started 2 years ago. It started to grow back more last year then it started breaking again. I was also told it could be related to birth control. I noramlly have a salon relax it and they use Mizani but have not really given me any advice on how to grow my hair back. I get a relaxer usually every 4 weeks but now im trying to stretch it to 6-8. Which is hard when you have short hair.

mochamadness

Going the Distance
WesternEyes said:
Hi! I was wondering what do you think is causing the thinning of your crown and edges? If it's the relaxer, then you may want to think about the type you are using(the brand and the strength). How often are you relaxing? Do you relax the crown area first? How long do you leave it on?

Mocha, what parts do you exclude and how does that work in with your relaxed hair?

I exclude the front and sides of my hair to every other touch-up. It works pretty well because my hair has a very fine texture in those areas and it blends in well with the back of my hair once the back has been touched-up. I find it useless to touch-up that section if it doesn't need to be and my hair has benefitted from doing this.

mattapansista

I can try to do that but i think its easier to exclude certain parts if your hair is long. My hair is short and needs to lay flat-especially my sides. If i go without relaxing my sides ill have to use gel in order to get my hair to look decent and i dont want to that-but may have to. Also, if i dont relax certain parts my style will grow out and im already having styling problems.

Mariaat40

mattapansista said:
my other other problem is I was tying my hair down with a scarf but it kept coming off at night. I dont like to tie my hair down to begin with because once my hair is curled tying it down flattens it out completely so my hair is flat everyday which i hate because ill go to salon one day and the next day you cant even tell. But if i don't tie it down my hair will be very unruly and hard to style-im a wild sleeper.

Hmmm....have you tried sleeping with a silk pillowcase? That would protect your hair and I wonder if it would be as unruly if it's slip sliding on a pillow case rather than being caught in the fabric.

mochamadness

Going the Distance
mattapansista said:
Hi Mocha-Im glad to see theres a fellow bostonion! :) Do you do your own hair or do you go to a salon?

Hey Western-I was told it could be stress causing the thinning This started 2 years ago. It started to grow back more last year then it started breaking again. I was also told it could be related to birth control. I noramlly have a salon relax it and they use Mizani but have not really given me any advice on how to grow my hair back. I get a relaxer usually every 4 weeks but now im trying to stretch it to 6-8. Which is hard when you have short hair.

I do my own hair...can't tell you the last time I stepped foot in a salon.

mattapansista

Hi Mariaat, i sleep on a silk pillowcase every night. But i still have to tie my hair down because it will be really messy in the morning. If i dont cover my hair ill basically have to wash it to get it back to normal because it will look like i have a mohawk.

mswinni

Hi Matta, I am currently growing out a short Halle Berry cut as well. I know first hand how difficult it is to have a short style with unhealthy hair. I use to relax about every 4 weeks as well, but I have managed to stretch to 7 weeks which will be Friday when I relax. I think this action alone has helped my hair tememdously, my hair is thicker, the breakage has subsided, and my edges are growing back. I have also been washing my hair more regulary, at least 2x a week and instead of styling it, which would require too much heat I just wear it flat or either (especially as of late) wear a scarf. I also keep it moisturized and use plenty of oils. And since I'm not curling it, if I'm not in a rush I let it air dry with a scarf. Again to reduce the usage of heat. My hair is coming along nicley and my new is really soft. HTH!

hopeful

Hey Mattapansista,
I'm from the boston area too. So sorry to hear you are suffering so with your hair. I don't have much advice. I ended up cutting off all of the relaxed hair and going natural and my hair seems to be healthier now than ever. Stick around the LHCF and you're bound to get this problem licked. Hang in there, okay? :kiss:

mattapansista

Mswinni-thanks for the advice. I am trying to stretch my relaxers also. Its been 5 weeks so far and this is the longest ive ever waited since i cut my hair-can you believe that! I wash once a week and air dry also.

Hopeful-thanks for your support. I plan on sticking around for a long time. Ive already gotten alot of helpful tips. :)

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I experienced short hair trauma myself. What helped me to grow back my edges was a mixture of sulfur 8 and glover's mane. My edges have gone so quickly, I can hardly believe it :eek: :lol:

chellee

For a style solution, I suggest a straw set for a wash and go look. Even as the curls fall/frizz, it will still give the appearance of a braid-out. This will help to reduce manipulation, stretch your relaxers all while sporting a nice hairdo. It shouldn't take much time to set either. Eight to ten flexirods will do.

mattapansista

Hi Chellee thanks for the advice. I can try to do that but my hair is really short. I wont be able to do anything with the back because its not long enough. Its about a 1/2 inch long and its growing out and i have a hard time getting it flat since my relaxer is growing out. My hair is tapered on the sides and the back. The rest of may hair is about 3 inches long. Plus i have balding in the crown that is hard for me to hide/cover. The hair is not completey bald its just very short and natural and very noticeable.

mattapansista

I normally get my hair relaxed every 4 weeks. i know this is frequent but since my hair is so short it grows out and its hard to style. its been 5 weeks now and im considering relaxing the rest of head, excluding my crown. but im not sure because my crown is a different texture and its noticeable. its also very hard to cover it with the hair surrounding it. however if i relax it, it may blend in more. i have been using surge for about 2 weeks and still doing nightly massages with wgo.

sillygurl18

If I were you I wouldn't put a hold on the relaxers period until the bald/thinning sides and crown were revived. You say it's hard not to relax the crown because you can tell that it's a different texture. If that were me I'd stop relaxing at least until the hair grew back. Since you have short hair it won't take long for you to grow all the relaxer off, and if you decide to relax again do it only then. You are risking long term damage by relaxing hair that is thinning and balding.

hopeful

sillygurl18 said:
If I were you I wouldn't put a hold on the relaxers period until the bald/thinning sides and crown were revived. You say it's hard not to relax the crown because you can tell that it's a different texture. If that were me I'd stop relaxing at least until the hair grew back. Since you have short hair it won't take long for you to grow all the relaxer off, and if you decide to relax again do it only then. You are risking long term damage by relaxing hair that is thinning and balding.

Mattapansista, I agree with sillygurl18, please be careful. I had an area in my nape area that sounds like your crown area. So I know, it's like omg I have to relax this stuff. But you know what? Sometimes what you think is nappy is really damaged and hating relaxers. Without relaxers, my nape area is soft and easy to comb as long as I keep it moisturized and its really pretty. Your crown area may just need a break.

chellee

Have you considered wearing a wig until the hair is healthier? There are some really cute styles these days that don't make you look like you are hiding from your ex-husband.

hopeful

chellee said:
Have you considered wearing a wig until the hair is healthier? There are some really cute styles these days that don't make you look like you are hiding from your ex-husband.
:lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

mattapansista

I will stop relaxing. My main concern was not being able to style my hair because its hard once my relaxer grows out because the cut grows out as well and its not long enough to braid or twist. But i guess its something ill have to sacrifice if i want it to grow back. Perhaps i will look into a wig. Should i be doing more protein treatments? I normally do a hot oil and wash with nexxuss therappe, kerpahix,and humectress weekly. Thanks for the advice ladies.

Last edited:

PretteePlease

#fakeworkouts
you cant tell from the pic that all of that is going on it looks good.
i'm with the wig suggestion but if you already have a problem with
your edges it can compound the problem. is laying off the relaxer for
a while an option? maybe just wear it slicked down with gel? may not
sound appealing but it could be a welcome break, i would suggest braids
but that may be too much stress on the tresses

hopeful

Mattapansista,
It sounds like you are on your way. I am happy for you. I think you will see a great improvement in your hair fairly soon. Relaxers wreak havoc on some of our heads. You and your hair deserve a break. And remember to keep your new growth and especially the broken areas really moisturized.
Good luck! :)

mattapansista

Thanks Hopeful, I really appreciate your advice and support. I plan on getting a wig but still maintaining my hair while go without a relaxer.

hopeful

mattapansista said:
Thanks Hopeful, I really appreciate your advice and support. I plan on getting a wig but still maintaining my hair while go without a relaxer.

You are welcome. Us New England/Boston ladies have to stick together. ;)