Short hair relaxer stretching

empressaja

I was curious about the short hair ladies who stretch their relaxers; and short I mean 5 inches or less. How they maintain their style during the stretching period.

morehairplease

birdie said:
I was curious about the short hair ladies who stretch their relaxers; and short I mean 5 inches or less. How they maintain their style during the stretching period.

hi birdie,

I have been meaning to post the same thing....great minds think alike girl! My goal is to stretch my current relaxer to 6 weeks. Mind you that this will be my first time doing this so I have no idea as to what I will be doing to aid in stretching the relaxer.

ClassicChic

I would say maybe a rod/straw set. It would look really cute too. I worked with a girl who hair at her longest point was about 4 inches. She wore the cutest straw set.

Last edited:

empressaja

I have this fear of looking tore down you know how you see those ladies and you just want to brush there hair or just do something with it. I have to look put together not only because I like to but because my job requires me to do so this new hair regimen is has been on my mind I really want to grow my hair long its been very long before but then it had always been long. So I have this unrealistic fear that it may not grow back because its so short.

morehairplease

Cherokee said:
I would say maybe a rod/straw set. It would look really cute too. I worked with a girl who hair at her longest point was about 4 inches. She wore the cutest straw set.

cherokee awesome suggestion! willl def. be doing this once I get a little bit more length. cool!

morehairplease

birdie said:
I have this fear of looking tore down you know how you see those ladies and you just want to brush there hair or just do something with it. I have to look put together not only because I like to but because my job requires me to do so this new hair regimen is has been on my mind I really want to grow my hair long its been very long before but then it had always been long. So I have this unrealistic fear that it may not grow back because its so short.

I hear ya birdie! I am going to see if I can get a straw set like cherokee suggested from this lady in my area hopefully I have enough hair. Wanna be hair buddies/growth buddies?!

LongIslandBeauty

When I started my journey 5/04 I had less than a 1/8" in the back and my bangs came just below my brow. It was difficult trying to find a cute style at that length without using heat. But I mainly kept my hair wrapped or roller topped with my roots flat ironed, or I would wear a twist out (6-8 flat twists going back like corn rows) I tried the straw set, maybe it was because I didn't have the technique, but it didn't work for me. I started my stretch from 6 weeks to 8, then I went to 12, then 16, I stetched to 26, now I'm Texlaxed.

empressaja

tishee said:
I hear ya birdie! I am going to see if I can get a straw set like cherokee suggested from this lady in my area hopefully I have enough hair. Wanna be hair buddies/growth buddies?!
That would be great I need someone who's going through the same hair challenges as me. I have a problem with being scissor happy, and I can cut my own hair (12mths of Cosmo school dangerous combo).

carolb21

Can I join you guys? My hair is 4" at the longest point and 2" in the back. I can't decide whether to weave up or try to find cute protective styles. Put it is nice to know that there are others just like me. I would love to have shoulder length hair for the holidays this year, but it ain't happening. :lol: Keep me posted.
"Starting all over again!"

empressaja

carolb21 said:
Can I join you guys? My hair is 4" at the longest point and 2" in the back. I can't decide whether to weave up or try to find cute protective styles. Put it is nice to know that there are others just like me. I would love to have shoulder length hair for the holidays this year, but it ain't happening. :lol: Keep me posted.
"Starting all over again!"

Yeah girl, I just posted a thread for an 8 week relaxer Stretch Challenge I hope it will alert some of the short hair ladies. I dont know what my hair will look like 8 weeks post relaxer with the current style I have but I'm determined to make it work. Could you post your regimen weekly and monthly Please thanks.

Suri

At your length I would suggest straw sets and twist outs. I was doing ponytails, **please never fall into this routine** unless they are loose, they will strain your hairline. But I am in recovery ;)

I am in trouble. I have no idea exactly how long my hair is but I can tell you that it is near my chin at the sides and just at my nape in the back. Styling has been frustrating because a straw set sounds nice but I have 10 months of relaxer at the root...the straw set is :nono: not happening. I recently posted about my ponytail dilemma and everyone suggested styles like straw sets, braid out and twist outs but my hair so thick with straight ends, it just doesn't work.

But that's ok because I am getting a relaxer in a month!!!:grin: I would get it sooner but I am on the MTG challenge and once you relax it's not a good idea to use that if you are stretching.

empressaja

Suri said:
At your length I would suggest straw sets and twist outs. I was doing ponytails, **please never fall into this routine** unless they are loose, they will strain your hairline. But I am in recovery ;)

I am in trouble. I have no idea exactly how long my hair is but I can tell you that it is near my chin at the sides and just at my nape in the back. Styling has been frustrating because a straw set sounds nice but I have 10 months of relaxer at the root...the straw set is :nono: not happening. I recently posted about my ponytail dilemma and everyone suggested styles like straw sets, braid out and twist outs but my hair so thick with straight ends, it just doesn't work.

But that's ok because I am getting a relaxer in a month!!!:grin: I would get it sooner but I am on the MTG challenge and once you relax it's not a good idea to use that if you are stretching.

The straw set idea is great but i do not have enough length for one to look like I would want it to. But as soon as I have enough length I will be attempting this set.

Suri

What about the twist outs?

I understand where you are coming from, some stretching styles that are suggested are just not feasible. Maybe you might have to wait until your hair is longer to stretch, because I was initially transitioning to go natural but I have decied to relax my hair and wait, yes, wait until I have longer hair because transitioning styles are very few for my hair length. It just doesn't work.

Another suggestion is just getting creative. If you get a little gel or pomade you can start something and end up with a hairstyle. Believe me, creativity has saved me many a day from having a hair breakdown. Most times it happened by accident.

What styles are you currently wearing and where on your face is your, i.e above ear, below ears? etc.

-Suri

empressaja

Suri said:
What about the twist outs?

I understand where you are coming from, some stretching styles that are suggested are just not feasible. Maybe you might have to wait until your hair is longer to stretch, because I was initially transitioning to go natural but I have decied to relax my hair and wait, yes, wait until I have longer hair because transitioning styles are very few for my hair length. It just doesn't work.

Another suggestion is just getting creative. If you get a little gel or pomade you can start something and end up with a hairstyle. Believe me, creativity has saved me many a day from having a hair breakdown. Most times it happened by accident.

What styles are you currently wearing and where on your face is your, i.e above ear, below ears? etc.

-Suri
My hair is currently all over even .I got my last haircut 5/1/05 all over even about 1cm my hair was natural then I texturized and then from there I relaxed 9/30/05. So my hair is currently 2 1/2-3 inches all over I wear a short kind of pixie cut but the back is flipped like the HAlle Berry wispy look.

Suri

OK. I just wanted to get an idea of the length. Again with the wispy short hair I would suggest that when the style you usually wear is getting hard to maintain. Try getting some pomade and maybe doing a bantu set or a twist out, a shorter version, if that makes sense. Also you might consider kinky twists. I am now a believer in tell the braider to BE GENTLE on my hair. Braiding is a great option if you don' t have issues with your hairline. Actually braiding is your best option, even if it's only for 1 month, using the Crown and Glory Technique you can gain quite a bit of growth in 1-2 months. HHG

morehairplease

birdie said:
My hair is currently all over even .I got my last haircut 5/1/05 all over even about 1cm my hair was natural then I texturized and then from there I relaxed 9/30/05. So my hair is currently 2 1/2-3 inches all over I wear a short kind of pixie cut but the back is flipped like the HAlle Berry wispy look.

birdie I was going to get this exact hairstyle today but decided against it b/c she said it would require the use of a curling...me and curling irons are a NO NO!LOL!

morehairplease

birdie said:
Yeah girl, I just posted a thread for an 8 week relaxer Stretch Challenge I hope it will alert some of the short hair ladies. I dont know what my hair will look like 8 weeks post relaxer with the current style I have but I'm determined to make it work. Could you post your regimen weekly and monthly Please thanks.

great idea birdie! off to check out the 8 week stretch challenge thread.

carol of course you can join us! we can do this ladies!

Once I get a chance to write down a regime I will def. post it! Until then ladies!