Should all stylists know the silkener technique?

Candiss

I have a consultation next week with Sharon from Trade Secret in St. Louis. I have natural hair (4b) that I am thinking about either relaxing/texlaxing/texturizing or having the silkener technique applied. I would like my hair to be altered enough to be straightened through a roller set and not heat but I would like enough texture to remain to hold a twist set. I know that the silkener is a term used with Miss Jessie's salon. However I was wondering if I should expect other stylists to be able to do this service? And if they don't know how, do yu think they would be willing to learn? I think it would be great if stylists would come up with their own silkener concoctions because there is a whole clientel of women who would love the option.
thanks

Mizani_Mrs

I do not think that ALL stylists know the technique. It is a specialized technique they have to learn. But i think if you asked her if she was familiar with it. Ask has she ever did the technique, how long ago was her training, and if she feels comfortable doing it. Also ask her to explain her technique. I think by asking all those questions...you will weed out the ones who don't know what they doing, but is just interested in giving it a try....

Candiss

actually what you said is a good point. I wish I could change the title of the thread. I guess I want to know if a stylist I go to should be willing to try the technique. But I guess if they are willing to try it then I would have to be willing to take the risk of my hair turning out horribly. I really would like to find a stylist who can give me what I want. However, the texturizer seems so old school to me. I remember from a previous thread someone was talikng about how the silkener uses a combo of relaxer and protein conditioner. That seems to be a good combination whereas a texturizer seems so harsh. But I'm not too well informed about these chemicals.
Thanks for the reply.

jetcitygirl

Smeller of roses
I had my hair texturized in May, my stylist used a Fiburguard relaxer on for 5 minutes. My hair is still very curly and I like how it came out. I like to maintain some frizz for a more natural and fuller look, but it is definately easier to wear my hair out now. My hair gets pretty straight now just pulling it back wet and letting it dry that way. I don't like straight styles too much on myself so I probably won't be doing that on purpose though. Found it out by accident...:lol: Maybe you also could bring her a picture of what you want so she understands what level of relaxing you are seeking. Its a better idea to underprocess and do it again later than get it too straight.

Syrah

Silkener is nothing more than a specialized service or product that Miss Jessie's offers. Hence why the name is trademarked.

And more than anything I think it's a product. As we've discussed on this board, they've probably taken a standard over the counter relaxer product (one that some of us probably already use), added a few ingredients to it that relax the natural texture of the hair without removing all traces of texture, and somehow strengthen bonds. I think it was MizaniMrs who hinted at that extra ingredient being a protein treatment.

A Silkener is nothing more than a fance word for Texturizer (which is another fance word for underprocessed relaxer treatment).

So to answer your question - no, most stylists won't know how to apply a silkener. On the Miss Jessie's website they claim that NO ONE else has been trained to provide that service except their stylists. Whatever. I'm sure you could go to many places and find someone who can give you a great texturizer, if that's what you're in the market for. Or you can try doing it yourself (its not nearly as scary as it sounds).

HTH

Syrah

Candiss said:
actually what you said is a good point. I wish I could change the title of the thread. I guess I want to know if a stylist I go to should be willing to try the technique. But I guess if they are willing to try it then I would have to be willing to take the risk of my hair turning out horribly. I really would like to find a stylist who can give me what I want. However, the texturizer seems so old school to me. I remember from a previous thread someone was talikng about how the silkener uses a combo of relaxer and protein conditioner. That seems to be a good combination whereas a texturizer seems so harsh. But I'm not too well informed about these chemicals.
Thanks for the reply.
While I like the idea of mixing a relaxer with a protein conditioner, I'd be scared some of the products in the conditioner might react with the relaxer and have some interesting effects.

BUT as I type that, I think - one of the problems that affects most people who self-relax is they have problems getting all the relaxer out. They go forth and apply shampoo and conditioners not realizing they've still got relaxer in their hair. So if it didn't react then, it might not react now.

You might want to try adding protein to their relaxer and seeing what happens - do a strand test somewhere in the lower middle nape area (a place that can be easily covered).