Should I be concerned...

PittiPat

I went for a touch-up on Friday night (Affirm – no lye). The stylist oiled my hair first, and then she applied the relaxer to my roots only. She started smoothing out the relaxer with the back of the comb, but by the time she was done smoothing my whole head twice, the relaxer was all over my hair. I asked, “isn’t this considered overlapping”? She said, “that’s the reason for oiling the hair first, to keep the relaxer from penetrating the hair that has already been relaxed”. I did a conditioning wash yesterday with Elasta QP (??) Intense Conditioner. Do you think that my hair will be okay?

ubavka123

I think your hair will be ok. Think of all of the stories of girls who applied their relaxer from root to tip for years and who still have hair. The repeated practice over time is very dangerous. If she overlapped just this once, make sure she doesn't do it again (or go to another stylist) and take good care of your hair. Maybe do a post-relaxer protein treatment in 2 weeks if you are nervous. I think your hair will be fine. Don't worry. And I am speaking from experience. It has happened to me before (which is why I changed stylists) and I still have my hair. HTH

ms_kenesha

WTH???? /images/graemlins/censored.gif

Did she "oil" your hair before your relaxer? She knows she should not be putting relaxer all over your hair. There is a scalp protector by Creme of Nature to use before relaxing that you can also put on your previously relaxed hair to prevent over processing, but your hairdresser shouldn't be purposely putting the relaxer all over your hair unless you're getting a corrective relaxer.

itismehmmkay

Yeah, you should be okay. I would say do a protein treatment now! Just to be safe. If you're concerned about your new-growth reverting, then make sure the protein only goes on the "old" relaxed hair. And the treatment doesn't have to be your hardcore aphrogee, etc. Just something with keratin; maybe even infusium 23 daily?

PittiPat

Ms_kenesha – yes, she did oil my hair first ... and she’s supposed to be the more experienced "manager" of the shop. That’s why I went to her.

ubavkal23 – you are sooooo right about relaxing from root to tips. I was doing that for years before LHCF…I can’t front. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Itismehmmkay – thanks, I’ll do the protein treatment as suggested.

Thanks Ladies!