Should I let this lady straighten my hair with a straightening comb?

Should I book an appointment for Saturday?

• Yes.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • No.

Votes: 20 83.3%

• Total voters

MissJ

I'm trying to get my hair straightened, because I have something important coming up on Tuesday. I'm very inept in the straightening arena. In April a lady at the JC Penny salon straightened it. That was after she let it shrink down to about two inches and decided to rip *cough* I mean comb it out. The end result looked, so I was debating about going back to her. I just decided that I'd wash and comb it out myself and only let her do the blowout and straightening.

I called, and she wasn't there anymore. Surprise, suprise. Then I talk to this new lady. I asked her if she knows how to do natural hair. She said she did, but she doesn't have any natural clients. I asked her what she used to straighten hair, and she said that she uses a "thermal comb." Apparently it has low, medium, and high temperatures, but it doesn't have numbers on it. She said she's pretty sure it doesn't go above 400. She said she uses heat protectant. But I'm kind of leery about the straightening comb. Nightmares from childhood and the memory of the pictures of Poohbears hair after her first big chop have me apprehensive about it. I know some naturals here have lovely results with a straightening comb, but they definitely know what they're doing. I just don't want the straightening comb to be in the wrong hands, if you know what I mean.

Should I book an appointment with her for Saturday? Please help.

SweetNic_JA

Do you have a flat iron? I suggest using some Sabino moisture block and ceramic iron and doing it yourself. That lady may mess up your long, beautiful hair.

Allandra

Do you have a flat iron? I suggest using some Sabino moisture block and ceramic iron and doing it yourself. That lady may mess up your long, beautiful hair.
What she said.

Girl, if I were closer, I'd do it for you (with my Sedu flat iron and my brand new Sedu blow dryer).

MissJ

The only time I flatironed my hair it turned out looking almost like an afro. I have a maxiglide, and it's hard to use. I also don't know how to do the "comb chase method." I wish I was self-sufficient like that. Anybody know where I could find some Sabino Moisture Block?

Allandra, that Sedu sounds good. I am looking to get a new type of flatiron at the end of the year. That way maybe I won't have to rely on others to do my hair, when they may or may not know what they're doing.

Qualitee

The thing I dont like about hot combs is that you dont know the temperture of the heat. Make sure she rubs it on a towel or waits a little before she puts it in you hair. Dont let her put the hot comb in your hair if the comb is still steaming. Most importantly use a heat protectant HTH

lana

I had natural hair for about five years. The only thing that stopped my progress at all was the pressing comb. I would really sugget that you stop and reconsider. I would not get a press at a salon again if someone paid ME money.

The best flat iron I had before my Sedu cost $25 at Sally's and it was called: Jilbere. They still sell it and it's way worth it to do it yourself.

If you really don't want to do your own hair, buy the ceramic flat iron and take it with you to the salon on already blow dried hair and let them flat iron it for $15. I would NEVER go to a JCPenny salon.

I hope this helps.

SweetNic_JA

The only time I flatironed my hair it turned out looking almost like an afro. I have a maxiglide, and it's hard to use. I also don't know how to do the "comb chase method." I wish I was self-sufficient like that. Anybody know where I could find some Sabino Moisture Block?
Allandra, that Sedu sounds good. I am looking to get a new type of flatiron at the end of the year. That way maybe I won't have to rely on others to do my hair, when they may or may not know what they're doing.

MissJ, I ordered mine on Ebay. If you order today then it will arrive before Tuesday.

Here is a quick suggestion on how to get better results withthe Maxi:
1. Wash and condition hair as usual + towel dry
2. Apply Sabino. Plait/braid hair into 6 or 7 big plaits. With your length and thickness this may take the whole weekend.
3. Allow to dry. This keeps your hair stretched while drying
4. Remove each section and rub in a dot of Sabino.
5. Run the Maxiglide over each section from root to tip. 5 is the hottest setting I use.

Good luck !

Last edited:

yuriko

I really don't see anything wrong with using a hot comb on natural hair, as long as you know what you want and make sure the lady follows your instructioins
A hot comb does not have to be a painful experience if it is done right

1. Make sure she uses a heat protectant
2. Make sure she goes in small sections
3. Don't allow her to comb hard or put any stress on your hair
4. Make sure she starts with a low heat setting

There are a good number of naturals on this site that use a hot comb and have BSL hair and longer but if you don't feel comfortable, just try to find someone who will use a flat iron

Katrice

If you are in the Atl and want to go to a salon try Too Groovy. When I was in Atlanta and natural this was my place.

MissJ

I ordered some Sabino Moisture Block, and I'm going to try to do it myself. Wish me luck!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Don't go to her and let her straighten your hair with that. Sytlist that still use a hot comb?? I don't get it. You get better results with a flatiron and no damage. Either do it yourself or find somebody who knows how to silken hair.

Check out my album to see what a silkening should look like.

Prettypsych

Yeah- I wouldn't go. I learned the hard way that no one should rip through your hair. Further, you run the risk of someone pressing your hair with such high heat (if they don't have good experience), your hair could lose it's natural curl. I vote for flat ironing, too.

If you really don't think you can do it yourself, I have had really good luck with Aveda salons in two different cities. I've gotten great service and hair care and my hair looks wonderful when it's done. HTH

blkbeauty

Do it yourself. The reason I am saying this is because I started to get my hair straigten at the hair dresser once a month to every 6 weeks. Although my hair has grown since going, she has One: cut my hair involuntarily and secondly: this past week I went to get it straighten and my hair looks extremely thin.

I think I might have to cut my hair back to SL.

TCatt86

Well the man how straightens my hair uses a hot comb on the edges. I hardly ever get my hair straightened but I like how it comes out.